Partially? Enclosed RV pole barn

Qwk87Coupe

Ive got a 18x36 14’ tall carport for my camper. I initially built it for a 5th wheel which is the reason for the height. It got totaled shortly after and we opted for a bumper pull. I’m trying to come up with a solution to keep the sun off the front and drivers side of the camper. It isn’t horrible (yet) but it’s aging faster than the sun protected sides. I want to stay with a gravel floor and I feel like I’ll have moisture issues if it’s completely enclosed without a vapor barrier and concrete floor. Am I crazy for thinking about adding a front wall and door of some sort, and 1 side wall and leaving the rest open? Outside of aesthetics (more on that below) I’m trying to see what other issues I may run into. One thing that comes to mind is wind concerns. I’ve googled it and it reminded me of when I checked a cough on webmd… Basically, it should have fell already, but the only wind related suggestions were to not leave both gables open.

Aesthetically- The goal is the put a 3 bay metal garage (gable opposite of the pole barn) close to the right hand side (where the Chevrolet is in the picture). This alone will help, but I’d like to “finish” the pole barn prior to having the garage built.

Im open to suggestions as I don’t want to create any issues. The main goal is to keep the sun off the front and right side on a gravel floor and not have it blow over. A wall on the rear gable is an option as well, but I’d like the left hand side to remain open. Maybe I’m over thinking it, opinions? IMG_4068.jpegIMG_4069.jpegIMG_4065.jpeg

Don't they make some heavy duty fabric type "curtains" that are like screens but a lot thicker and heavy duty that you could use? Would allow air to pass through but shade out sunlight.

Edit: something like this, probably better options if looked more than 2.629 seconds on google

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240304-212208.png
    Screenshot_20240304-212208.png
    334.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240304-212133.png
    Screenshot_20240304-212133.png
    442.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Don't they make some heavy duty fabric type "curtains" that are like screens but a lot thicker and heavy duty that you could use? Would allow air to pass through but shade out sunlight.

Edit: something like this, probably better options if looked more than 2.629 seconds on google
I’m not ruling it out. The custom size, quality ones I found were pricey. With outdoor cats I’d say it’s a gamble. If/when they trashed a few, I’d be money ahead with something more permanent.

I always try and talk people out of putting such high sidewalls on rv sheds, it seems like everyone wants them so tall. Anyway if it were me I would close it in like you've drawn except would also bring metal down 6ft along the open side too to keep sun and rain off the rv.

Unless it's chain link, you should behave as though it's a sold panel. Not enough air is going to follow through one of those to mitigate wind pressure. They also act on the structure in dynamic ways without adding any shear strength (like a solid wall would).

I always try and talk people out of putting such high sidewalls on rv sheds, it seems like everyone wants them so tall. Anyway if it were me I would close it in like you've drawn except would also bring metal down 6ft along the open side too to keep sun and rain off the rv.
It was originally built for a 5th wheel with a forward a/c unit that needed 13ft clearance. Hindsight it looks a little odd now and I’ve honestly thought about pulling it down. Ordering the metal building with a partially enclosed lean off the side that is shielded by the building. I hate to wind up with a pile of sticks, but If partially enclosing it will comprise it, I’d rather have a pile of sticks without a damaged camper.

I'd price these two options:

Pour a a slab and enclose all sides?
and

Ordering the metal building with a partially enclosed lean off the side that is shielded by the building
But you also have to factor in the cost of taking down what you have currently up.

Then build a pro/con list to accompany that financial piece.

If you poured a slab, and enclosed it, you could plan for a lean-to and build off what you have.

I'd price these two options:

and

But you also have to factor in the cost of taking down what you have currently up.

Then build a pro/con list to accompany that financial piece.

If you poured a slab, and enclosed it, you could plan for a lean-to and build off what you have.
4588.png

Tearing it down is probably the last option. I only considered it if I can't partially enclose it safely. The cost of adding a concrete floor alone (in my area) is higher than adding a lean off the new metal building at the time of construction. Thats the dilemma in a nut shell. I built the current building, and could handle the demo, so I don't really calculate a cost other than my time.

Id drop down real siding and stop it 7 ft from the ground so you could still walk under it on the sides and back. Maybe enclose the front gable to give a little shade.

Is the one side facing South?

I think the side is the easy part. For the front, youd need to put in a roll up door or build a pair of doors, or use some type of fabric.

Knowing how/when the sun hits it, would be useful in determining how far down youd need to wall up the shed.

Is the one side facing South?

I think the side is the easy part. For the front, youd need to put in a roll up door or build a pair of doors, or use some type of fabric.

Knowing how/when the sun hits it, would be useful in determining how far down youd need to wall up the shed.
The right hand side is south facing. The front is west facing. The rear and left side are naturally shielded during sunrise by the trees behind the building. After mid day the front and right side are pretty much in direct daylight until sunset. The front would definitely be the challenge.

Back