People who call, don't leave a message, then complain later

drkelly

Dipstick who put two vehicles on jack stands
This is something that grinds my gears. Every now and then someone will call me, NOT leave a message, then complain later when I see/talk to them. If you want me to call you back, then leave a fucking message telling me that.

Also, I do not answer my phone if I don't recognize the number, and I am not going to call that mystery number back, so leave a message if you want me to call you back.

Please post your number so I can update this flyer all over town

apbs.twimg.com_media_BLcr9GyCcAAXasm.jpg

This is something that grinds my gears. Every now and then someone will call me, NOT leave a message, then complain later when I see/talk to them. If you want me to call you back, then leave a fucking message telling me that.

Also, I do not answer my phone if I don't recognize the number, and I am not going to call that mystery number back, so leave a message if you want me to call you back.

Im the same way. If its not important enough to leave a VM, its not important to me.

Anyone that has my number knows to text me. I don't want to get caught up in a half hour conversation with you, when all you actually needed was a 2 second yes/no answer. If I really want to talk to you, I'll find you.

I have the same pet peeve.

I think it is a generational thing. I have noticed that the 30 and below crowd are usually the culprits (at least in my experience). I think it is because they have never been without a cell phone which means they have always had a "missed call" log. The rest of us had to actually call and call and call to get in touch with someone, or we left a message on a home answering machine and had to leave our number because there wasn't caller id.

I'm 25 and it happens all the time if you try to sell something. They call continuously even if you ignore the call but never leave a message

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Agree w/ the generational thing. I know so many people now (under ~33) who don't hardly know how to carry out a conversation on a telephone, or generallt just avoid talking directly to people instead wanting to txt everything.

Txt messages have their place and I used them a lot, but a lot of times its more effective to just talk!

Oh and yeah agree w/ the no-left-message thing.

Our plant just "upgraded" the phone system. Now if I miss a call on my office phone, I get an email telling me who I missed a call from. If they actually leave a voicemail, the email includes an audio file of the voicemail you can listen to on your computer, AND text of the voice message. Though the text of the voice message is always wrong, I can see it getting someone a trip to HR.

Call? Is that that shit you do on a telephone?

All of the above. But also, why is it any of the missed caller's business, (who continues to ring my phone 10 times back to back)...why I didn't answer (once I do speak to them) or what the fuck I'm doing? Your not my mother, I don't have to tell you what I was doing or why I didn't answer...dick.

This topic strikes a nerve with me.

Matt

I agree/disagree.... I don't mind if they leave a msg with some clue of what they want or just say what they have to say, but I FAWKIN HATE when some says " Hey this is blah blah blah.... Uhhhh call me back".... I usually don't on purpose.

I agree/disagree.... I don't mind if they leave a msg with some clue of what they want or just say what they have to say, but I FAWKIN HATE when some says " Hey this is blah blah blah.... Uhhhh call me back".... I usually don't on purpose.

I'd much rather you tell me who you are, and JUST ask me to call you back than leave an 8 minute message about WHY you called. My wife has "meetings" on the phone for HOURS at a time. These are usually conference calls with multiple people all over the world. They can talk for HOURS about NOTHING (executive level types ) and sometimes they call when she's on another meeting with an issue. Instead of the simple "please call me back" it's a 12-25 minute dissertation of EXACTLY what the problem is :rolleyes: (kinda like this reply :()

My ADD just won't allow more than 2-3 seconds of attention to a VM....even at work. Usually I listen long enough to hear who it is, delete it and just call them...they're gonna repeat the whole VM anyway right?:shaking:

I'd much rather you tell me who you are, and JUST ask me to call you back than leave an 8 minute message about WHY you called. My wife has "meetings" on the phone for HOURS at a time. These are usually conference calls with multiple people all over the world. They can talk for HOURS about NOTHING (executive level types ) and sometimes they call when she's on another meeting with an issue. Instead of the simple "please call me back" it's a 12-25 minute dissertation of EXACTLY what the problem is :rolleyes: (kinda like this reply :()

My ADD just won't allow more than 2-3 seconds of attention to a VM....even at work. Usually I listen long enough to hear who it is, delete it and just call them...they're gonna repeat the whole VM anyway right?:shaking:

Yep.
Just had that this AM. Was in a consulting engineers office. For 15 minutes going through some submittals. Walked out to a 6 minute voicemail. Didnt know how long my voicemail box was...apparently its exactly 6 minutes...about a problem that I cant really even solve. It goes to someone else in my group. I call the customer back to let them know I am forwarding it and as soon as I say "Hey Jimmy, this is Ron. Was in a meeting just got your message.," He dives in and repeats (almost word for word) the entire 6 minutes message. When he finished I tell him I will call our service coordinator and have them cal him back and schedule a service appointment. "Oh I talked to them yesterday evening. The tech will be here between 1-2 today."

WTF?!!?!?
Bacon Grease Fire!
WHY THE FAWK DID you call em and why have I wasted 30 minutes of my life now? (J/k sort of)
Of course the correct answer is this is a problem he caused by messing with something he wasnt supposed to and he wants to set the stage for why it shouldnt be billable when we get out there and determine what he did. Which I already know and offered to talk him through over the phone but he doesnt have time to ride over to the site.

Our plant just "upgraded" the phone system. Now if I miss a call on my office phone, I get an email telling me who I missed a call from. If they actually leave a voicemail, the email includes an audio file of the voicemail you can listen to on your computer, AND text of the voice message. Though the text of the voice message is always wrong, I can see it getting someone a trip to HR.

You probably have the same system we do. Some of the text translations are hilarious.

The thing that bothers me the most is when people call my desk on my lunch hour, let the voice message come up but then hang up. So when I get back to my desk I am having to check all these damn voice messages that are nothing but hang ups.

Reason I say this is because usually I see on my phone who is calling. The caller id normally shows names even if they aren't in my phone.( I think most do now) So I more than likely already know who it is and will call them back as soon as I'm freed up. If I don't know the number or its blocked you're probably going to VM anyways. I just find it bothersome to have to check my VM for nothing.

Thought of this thread this morning. Was in a meeting the other day and an unknown number called me so I didn't answer. He called three more times in the meeting, never sent a text, no message, nothing. At that point I decided I'm not going to answer or call back. He has consistently called me 3-4 times a day for the last week. Never a text, never a message. It is kind of annoying, but you would think if it was important enough to consistently call me 3-4 times a day you might think to leave a quick message.

Reason I say this is because usually I see on my phone who is calling. The caller id normally shows names even if they aren't in my phone.( I think most do now) So I more than likely already know who it is and will call them back as soon as I'm freed up. If I don't know the number or its blocked you're probably going to VM anyways. I just find it bothersome to have to check my VM for nothing.

My phone only shows who is calling if I have programmed a name to the specific number. I'm on an old ass apple I-phone though because I refuse to lose 1.5 hrs of my life that I do not have to spare going to the phone store.

i own a gun shop... i have an answering machine at that gun shop.. people call 10 minutes before i open... don't leave a message... call back 10 minutes after i open.. i have 5 customers in the shop asking questions, i don't always get to the phone in time or i don't answer it because i am taking care of customers... 10 minutes later they call my personal cell phone, and don't leave a message there either... how the fuck did they get my cell phone number....

then when the do call back and i answer they are already pissed cause they called 5 times with no answer... then they just want to ask dumb questions about stupid shit or ask me about another product they bought somewhere else...

the worst ones ate the ones that want to text my cell... i tell them to call the shop, and they get pissed....

ask me about another product they bought somewhere else...

If there's one pet peeve I really, truly have...it's this. You have me working several hours, if not days, spec'ing out a build...and then go somewhere else because it's $20 cheaper...but then come back to me when theirs doesn't work right. Sorry, my time goes to paying customers, and I'm available 24/7 for them. I can't begin to tell you how many times I've spec'd out a $10k engine build, then I'm told they get free machine work or their bruncledaddy can do the same thing for $1500. Good luck, and I'll be more expensive when you want me to fix your hodge podge of parts that are nothing you want for your build any way. /rant

and I'll be more expensive when you want me to fix your hodge podge of parts that are nothing you want for your build any way.

i have had people do that...

come in, ask 1300 questions about a reloading press, i bring them back, show them how 3 or 4 different presses work, show them how easy it is to make ammo...

then they eBay or amazon my ass to save 10 bucks, or because they don't want to pay sales tax and call looking for help when something goes wrong...

Back