Piddlin'

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by ProbablyBroke, Oct 1, 2018.

1. ProbablyBroke

ProbablyBroke does not torque to spec

Got my new fan on my new radiator. Clearance is tight between the water pump pulley and the fan wiring. The fact that's a 16" fan, puts in perspective how small the cooling system is.
    IMG_5332.JPG

I have a long tube header from the 1.3 that won't clear the inside of the frame rail or the block and adapter for the 1.6. Any suggestions other than stock manifold? Calling all zuk heads. @kyleg336

2. kyleg336

kyleg336 Well-Known Member

3. ProbablyBroke

I ended up buttoning up the exhaust and wiring on 1.6 swap today. Was almost ready for a first start /break in when I remembered I spent 20$ on 16 oz Lucas Break In oil additive. Drained 16 oz of fresh engine oil out of the pan accompanied by 6oz of coolant. My heart sank. Hopefully the intake gasket is allowing coolant into the cylinder and not something much worse.

4. ProbablyBroke

Intake manifold wasn't torqued down, but I went ahead and changed the gasket anyway. Spoke to Cary at gotpropane.com and he said you risk the rings not seating and breakin in if you break in a rebuilt motor with propane. So, might be throwing a Weber on the 1.6 for a break in session. Did some trading with @89xjnc and got a rough Hedman 3900 header which will clear my block and transmission adapter. Hoping to get this thing running after Christmas.
    IMG_5372.JPG IMG_5373.JPG

5. ProbablyBroke

The TC pump bracket finally came after about 2.5 month backorder. I was starting to worry that this would be what held me up from starting the motor, but it's my mechanical aptitude, procrastination and fear of failure.

IMG_5387.JPG

6. ProbablyBroke

I haven't put any extra coolant in the motor since I pulled the oil drain plug and found coolant, drained it. Replaced the intake gasket. Bolted everything back up. Cracked the oil drain bolt again and found more coolant (3 weeks later) Feeling pretty bummed, as this motor was supposed to have been rebuilt, and the only thing I can attribute the coolant mixing with oil to is a bad block. Suggestions ?

7. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

LS swap it!

DannyH likes this.
  8. ProbablyBroke

This is misery

image.jpg

NCJeeplover, drkelly and DannyH like this.
  9. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

38’s and half the bolts... cry me a river.:fuck-you:

10. ProbablyBroke

Had to hit harbor freight to get some c clamps. I spent too long yesterday trying to get the outer ring to seat with bolts alone.
    IMG_5417.JPG

11. ProbablyBroke

I've been getting by with just a brushless dewalt drill for too long. I've wanted a drill press for sometime. Found this old Duro unit on CL for 75$ and decided to take a ride to pick it up. From what I've seen, it's circa 1950ish. Previous owner wired in a new drum switch. Still has an old 1/2 hp motor. Hopefully I can find a pulley to slow it down even further, as it will likely only see mild steel and some al.
    IMG_5434.JPG IMG_5435.JPG