Poured walls on slab or?

Deplorable

So I know there are two ways for poured concrete walls…

Pour with footer and pour slab later or pour/finish monolithic slab and then pour walls on slab. Which one is better? Or does it really matter?

This is for a garage build and 32’ end wall will be about 6-8 feet below grade with rest of perimeter poured walls about 2 feet high to frame on.

We used superior prefab walls for our basement.
Not sure the price difference but it was quick and not nearly as weather dependent.
May be worth a look?

I always see them poured on the slab and typically 34'-36' high

1642436880454.png

Depends on the structural requirements.
Detached 32x48 three bay garage. No permit or plans due to small county and being detached. Had to get a permit, but no inspections. 6" slab and one 32’ end will be about 6’ below grade due to slope…

This is a fact. I was told 11 mos last week.
That's OK, roofers, say insulation is 18 months out so timing should be good. Lol

Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. I don't know much about concrete but that is the first thing I thought of when I read the title.

I always see them poured on the slab and typically 34'-36' high

View attachment 365335
Tilt-up FTMFW but not residential

I'm stepping all over Shawn and Rob's expertise, but it's been my experience, There is no "best" right now. There is only what can be done within reasonable delivery

BTW... Order garage doors now for 2023 delivery. I'm not kidding

Tilt-up FTMFW but not residential

I'm stepping all over Shawn and Rob's expertise, but it's been my experience, There is no "best" right now. There is only what can be done within reasonable delivery

BTW... Order garage doors now for 2023 delivery. I'm not kidding
22 weeks is what I was quoted.

The best part about all these long lead time items is there is no price hold guarantee. Owners love hearing that.

What I’m hearing is the wall will be structural and holding back 7-8ft of dirt. If it was my shop I’d do footing and wall then slab. This is the style of footing I would pour.

Attachments

• 21EA6A69-E687-4F05-8438-150164A67330.png
    21EA6A69-E687-4F05-8438-150164A67330.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 72
I'm stepping all over Shawn and Rob's expertise
Notice I didn't say shit. There's way too much variability to answer a question like this given the limited information. You might assume he's building in Asheville, but maybe there are expansive soils, or the 6ft of retaining is actually 6ft at the face of the building, but goes 2:1 all the way to the top of the mountain.

The only answer is "it depends"

Everything “depends”.

But, I don’t see anyone pouring foundation walls on top of a monolithic slab (unless you are doing tilt up panels, and at that, the panels are installed on a footer, not the slab).
I’m sure it happens, but it’s not as typical as a spread footer with a poured foundation wall, then a slab after.

Back