Prius does 90 MPH !!!

When the accelerator stuck, he said he weighed all his options. He feared turning the car off in the middle of traffic, expecting the steering wheel to lock. If he shifted into neutral, he worried that it would slip into reverse. The floor mat, he said, wasn't interfering with the gas pedal.
Dumbass. Clearly he thought that wrecking into another vehicle at 90 MPH would be a better choice. Think the press is eating this up because he's telling them what he wants to hear? Tell me this guy doesn't look like a complete douche.
awww.latimes.com_media_photo_2010_03_52650557.jpg

"If he shifted into neutral, he worried that it would slip into reverse. "

Fawking idiot, ALL cars are specifically made so that you CAN'T go into reverse unless you are pushing the button in, just like they are made so that you CAN push into neutral WITHOUT using the button, just so that it is easier.

Douche indeed.

ok first off take any new car down the road and throw it in reverse ...guess what happens the engine shuts off so even if he put in neutral and it went in reverse he would have had better luck.. maybe he just wanted to be on tv...what a dumbass

1st off, fail for buying a PriASS. Hate those things and the batteries create a crap ton of toxic waste...other cars don't create toxic waste!

2nd, have you ever been in one of those things? It is IMPOSSIBLE to manually do anything...including shift into neutral OR turn the damn thing off! So I can see it being a problem.

Toyota better get their cars outta the shitter sometime soon. My friend bought a 09 Camry. I called him the other day and expressed my concern for his safety. I said he should ride his Harley instead, if not for me than for his mother :lol:. He has been on the bike almost everyday :huggy:

the article mentions the e-brake, but douche-driver didnt say anything about it. Does a prius have a standard mechanical-only parking brake?

The biggest problrem I see with Toyota's throttle by wire is it has no safety's . If you try to power brake a jag when your foot is on the brake it will not accelerate.

But this guy it a complete tool and now he gets his 5 minutes of fame .

The biggest problrem I see with Toyota's throttle by wire is it has no safety's . If you try to power brake a jag when your foot is on the brake it will not accelerate.
But this guy it a complete tool and now he gets his 5 minutes of fame .

Kia's also have the fly by wire but with ours if there is a problem it has a limp mode top speed is 30-35 I think

bs. either put it in N or turn off the ignition.

bs. either put it in N or turn off the ignition.

YOU CAN'T!! Everything is a button hooked up to the computer. There are no straight "manual" controls in the stupid thing! The computer will say, "Oh, he didn't mean to do that" and keep going.

Then again I'd probably just do like I do on computers, hold the button down for 8 seconds. Maybe then it'll turn off :lol:.

Yes, the car does have a standard hand brake...but the rear brakes are drums...so...pressing the brake pedal and the hand brake basically do the same thing...

YOU CAN'T!! Everything is a button hooked up to the computer. There are no straight "manual" controls in the stupid thing! The computer will say, "Oh, he didn't mean to do that" and keep going.
Then again I'd probably just do like I do on computers, hold the button down for 8 seconds. Maybe then it'll turn off :lol:.
Yes, the car does have a standard hand brake...but the rear brakes are drums...so...pressing the brake pedal and the hand brake basically do the same thing...

I thought the foot brake was by wire, ie computer interprets what the driver is really 'intending' and subject to the errors we are hearing about. I was thinking a manual cable operated hand brake would bypass the computer. Seems hard to believe everything would be wired thru the computer, scary if true.

What a dumbass. Throw it in neutral.

I heard the chase on the news this AM and the guy said he was concentrating too hard on not killing someone to try putting the car in neutral, yet he was operating the shit out of that cell phone. Way to go doucher

So the question is - is his story real or did he come up w/ this on teh fly to get out of a ticket?
The ECU also carries a log of al lrecent activity, so all Toyota has to do is pull teh record, they'll know what did and did not try.

just reaffirms my desire for an Old Car! I have a Throttle by Wire in my HHR. HATE IT and the Car!!!

Ditto!

We love our Toy Matrix (07, no trecalled)... it is also Drive by Wire.
It's very weird feeling when you press the Cruise button, and there is no change in response at ALL - you just have to have some faith and let go of the pedal. I don't like that moment, I actually rarely use it just for that reason.
In the older cars at least you could feel it "kick in" and take over from you.

Actually, the Army has been using DBW for many years. There have a been a ton of studies on "vigilence" and driving, looking at Soldiers who are still "driving" semi-autonomous vehicles, it tuns out their cognitive state gets just as worn out due to the lack of trust in anything bu ta perfectly straight road (even though the ECUs do a damn good job)

Back