Project Steampunk

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by XJsavage, Apr 17, 2016.

1. 98_tj

98_tj under water

So it was just the hub and shocks that broke on that last hill climb?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jody Treadway and XJsavage like this.
  2. XJsavage

XJsavage Warlock of Zante plantation

Sorry for the late reply. On the last climb when I landed under power the stub shaft on the front driver side exploded and took out a warn premium hub. All while I managed to break off two rear shock mounts and snap a Bilstein in half.
    :lol:
    For a shakedown run I knew if I didn't make the most obstacles, I would have to break the most shit.
    I'll have everything fixed by mid-week when the rain stops and I can drive back to the shop in the Jeep. ;)

NickMaul, RHSCTJ and 98_tj like this.
  3. 98_tj

98_tj under water

Yeah, your jeep has a pretty healthy v8 and you were giving it hell on that last climb

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

XJsavage likes this.
  4. XJsavage

That computer did come from Justin Thames. :D
    I wish I could've gotten more pics of yours. Ghost was telling us about Broken Nut. That's another place I wanna hit soon. Either way, I'll be seeing you again real soon.

98_tj likes this.
  5. XJsavage

IMG_20190407_081512089.jpg
    So aside from some kick-ass wheeling, I found a lot of very interesting things while in Quarry town. The owner Andy stumbled upon a killer deal on a decent plot of land with a ton of history attached. He's type of person that completely respects the history of the ground that we stand on and is generous enough to let us come out there and ride. A huge hats off to Mr Andy!
    Me being as fascinated as I am always wonder about what has happened under my feet over the course of time. With this little diamond of real estate, I did not have to look very far at all.
    Literally, his and the surrounding land is covered in history; well documented at that.
    Adjacent to his property is an existing Church and cemetery dating back to the Colonial and Revolutionary days, on through the Civil war and into present day. The park itself is part of a rather large quarry that supplied natural-to-the-area granite for the construction of the surrounding town.
    I'll let the pictures tell the story from here.
    IMG_20190406_174223269.jpg
    IMG_20190406_180253529_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190406_174655153_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190406_175743519_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190406_175730828_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190406_104947878.jpg

6. XJsavage

Rainy day shop progress. I'm doing some upgraded shock hoops for the rear with some 14" travel nitro shocks (for now). Ultimately, the JK coils and these shocks will replaced with 14" coilovers, so the work I'm putting into it now will make the next stage even easier when I can pony up and do it.
    IMG_20190413_120053494.jpg
    IMG_20190413_115847281.jpg

Hub redrilling (8-170 to 8-6.5) is probably going to be next.

7. NickMaul

NickMaul Well-Known Member

Once my Cherokee has a pulse again I need to come down south :huggy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris_Keziah and XJsavage like this.
  8. XJsavage

Indeed you do. Cold beer waiting on ya.
    Shellcrackers are in season. Hurry up!
    IMG_20190414_121959929.jpg

77GreenMachine and tlucier like this.
  9. XJsavage

Yukon chromoly stub shafts, new locking hubs, and a steel LS oil pan are on my list of things to buy this week.
    I guess I can live a few days without driving the jeep to/from work, which will allow me time to pull the front unit bearings and rear hubs for an 8 on 6.5 redrill.
    In the meantime, I'll be sorting through my collection of SD wheels and selling off pretty much all of it.

NickMaul likes this.
  10. Jody Treadway

Jody Treadway Croc wearing fool Moderator

Whenever you're ready for your lockers...I know a guy pretty decent with gear work who has a shop 1.5 miles from Sierra Nevada's brewery.
    If you like that sort of thing. :beer:
    I'll put you in touch with him if you'd like.

11. XJsavage

Screenshot_20190416-190330.png
    Pulling the trigger on this tonight as well as throw some PayPal to @Van-go for a PS reservoir.
    A while back the front sliding door of our shop got replaced/resized to an aluminum door. The old steel frame door was scheduled to get scrapped, so I asked Mr Stuyck if I could have it. He said yes, so I brought it home. Plans are to build a steel frame carport in my back yard just to park the Jeep under. I brought it home with the Turbo diesel Fuso work truck and rigged a winch operated pulley system suspended from my treehouse 20' in the air.
    No more wet seats!
    IMG_20190417_180627157_HDR.jpg

Creekin, ramjo, jcramsey and 6 others like this.
  12. BigSouth

BigSouth Doesn't play well with others!

DON’T add to cart. Call them! Trust me, there’s money to be saved over the phone.

Croatan_Kid, 01tj and XJsavage like this.
  13. XJsavage

I didn't yet.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

BigSouth likes this.
  14. XJsavage

Probably the same guy that'll very very likely be doing some gears in my 60&10.5 when I finally get tired of these 3.73s.
    :)

Jody Treadway likes this.
  15. XJsavage

Almost fifty damn dollars to be exact.

Being an NC4X4 member just paid for itself over the next decade. I didn't know all that. :rolleyes:

16. XJsavage

Millport got some use after work today.
    IMG_20190418_203612480.jpg
    8-170 converted to 8-6.5. Started with a jig cutout on our waterjet machine a while back that simply aligns itself with 4 of the original studs still pressed in it's 8 on 170 location, and indexes starter hole points. From there it's going back through with either a 15.5mm or 39/64 (which is very close and has worked quite well on previous axles).
    I will need to buy a brand new unit bearing to replace one that came off this axles as I discovered it does have some grinding issues inside of it. Hard to expect perfection when buying junkyard axle, but I'm doing all three on the front just for a spare.

17. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

Call me. I need you to knock the new off my ltb's.

XJsavage likes this.
  18. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

There are 8 of those on the blem list right now. I've thought my jeep might perform better with a 40" LTB vs a 42 SXII. Just dont have any rims atm.

19. XJsavage

Just in case I don't have your number anymore, or since the last kayaking incident, I'll pm you mine.

20. jeepinmatt

jeepinmatt Still Fat

I know what you were actually saying, but Rimz ATM is also a great business concept...:huggy:

ghost, Jody Treadway and XJsavage like this.
  21. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

You are welcome to try mine out. Thing about the ltbs is the 40x16r17 only measures about 38.5x13.5. Ive heard they are really hard but the only one I know who ran them was brokeass4runner and he said he was surprised how well they did.

XJsavage likes this.
  22. XJsavage

New SD unit bearing and 14x1.5 (course) Precision acorn lugnuts are on the way. If all goes well I may be test fitting a set of 39 inch reds on 17" beadlocks by this weekend.
    I'll be glad to try your 40" LTBs out. :driver:

23. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

I've seen the 35" LTB in action a few years after I got my SXII's. I've always felt a lighter smaller tire would spin up better on my pig and it would perform better. And the fact that they are half the price of a sticky helps too......

RHSCTJ likes this.
  24. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

Nice! So if LG gets a SD 60 for the MJ he plans to build I know who to call......

XJsavage likes this.
  25. XJsavage

Short of finishing up the brake rotors, the 8 on 6.5 conversion is now complete. The new unit bearing did show up in a timely manner, but of course my goal of test fitting some wheels and tires fell short when I left Saturday morning, boat in tow, to go run some rivers and a lake or two. That's the best way I could think to spend a 420 and Easter weekend, not that pulling a full two days freestyling in the fab shop isn't second only to heaven as it is. Because it is. :smokin:
    IMG_20190423_183319196.jpg
    IMG_20190423_193238894.jpg
    IMG_20190423_221758362.jpg
    Now, I just have to put it all back together. May as well go through and put all new bearings and seals in the rear and whatever the front needs.

JSJJ388, Creekin and Chris_Keziah like this.