Project Steampunk

Discussion in 'Build Threads' started by XJsavage, Apr 17, 2016.

1. XJsavage

XJsavage Warlock of Zante plantation

Intro:

My name is XJsavage. I am the warlock of Zante Plantation. (Zante: Greek; meaning "wooded". Plantation: A place of new growth, historically; a colony).

I inhabit the forests and swamps of Congaree and Cowasee river basin at the convergence of the Congaree and Wateree river where it forms the Santee. I am the protector of this place and all that call it home. This area millions of years ago was forged by magic and is home to the largest old growth timber in North America.

My new step father is a retired South Carolina historian, focusing on the counties I dwell and keeps me up to date on the history of these counties. Recent research has sparked my interest in the steamboats, that during the 1800s used to navigate these very river systems from coast to inland.

This build I call "Steampunk" is a collection of parts and ideas from builds past, using some of my favorite aspects of all I've driven and wheeled. It is a day by day glimpse into the life of a madman. A native South Carolinian that lives to wander freely. This is his story and a bit of history.

From the twisted mind that created SAVAGE AMUSEMENT, I give to you....

IMG_20160404_184642.jpg

PROJECT STEAMPUNK

il_570xN.471787675_gh5z.jpg

Since I live in an ancient mansion in the woods, naturally it's tough to find a secure place to build stuff. Back in the early 1800s, garages were not quite standard. I do however have a root cellar, but having a vehicle torn down and strewn about down there would obstruct my access to the sistren. I may walk down one night with candle in hand, trip and fall in. I don't want to do that. So I use an old pole barn constructed by my late father on the property to build this. It leaks, but it suits my needs.

I started with a pristine '95 YJ. It was a fresh 4cyl California Jeep at one time. First thing I did was start by cleaning and painting the frame, taking away anything that didn't need to be there.
    IMG_20160417_165502.jpg
    A good coating of rustoleum on the frame:
    IMG_20160417_165441.jpg

Tub is cleaned and undercoated.
    IMG_20160417_165454.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    ol'Jeeps and Infamous1 like this.
  2. Infamous1

Infamous1 Well-Known Member

Sweet!!!! I like where this is heading....

Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

3. XJsavage

My choice of axles was a Dana 60 and Sterling 10.5 from an 04 Ford Superduty. No better feeling in the world than having axles strong enough to get out and pound on without worrying about breaking. My transmission choice was a Ford NP435 and Np205. Manual? You ask... Yes. I thoroughly enjoy driving a manual. Because I drive a newer GMC Yukon equipped with a 5.3 vortec, I've come to love the reliability of the GM vortec platform. Smooth running and goes somewhere when you put your foot in it. I chose a 2003 lm7 for this.
    First things first:
    IMG_20160402_182107.jpg
    Since the SD60 has such a wide spring pad location, I had to outboard the front springs. A lot. I mounted a pair of Dodge 52" springs with shackle location on the back rather than the traditional front facing shackle. On all my Toyotas, this design seemed to work. I threw in some Liquid Iron Industries slider boxes for good measure.
    IMG_20160419_103109.jpg
    IMG_20160402_181945.jpg
    IMG_20160402_182025.jpg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    frankenyoter and Jody Treadway like this.
  4. XJsavage

Getting power ran for my welder was tricky. The pole barn had 110v running to it but for a machine to do what I needed to do, I desperately needed 220v. My new welder has dual voltage input, but after a few minutes trying to burn rods on the 110, I got shittin and quit.
    IMG_20160316_185848632.jpg
    So to find a sufficient power supply I built a matching set of Tesla generators about the estate. So far so good and the machine is laying great beads.

5. XJsavage

IMG_20160402_181833.jpg Once I had a roller, it was time to drop in the powerplant. I borrowed a cherry picker from my next door neighbor, who is a farmer and genuinely hard to get along with. I asked him if it rolled. He said it did, but, it doesn't. I made it happen however, and after a long night of pushing and pulling, I had the engine in.

6. XJsavage

The day I brought them home.
    IMG_20160419_103056.jpg A shot of the motor mounts I built from 1/4" plate and pieces parts of a universal LS swap kit.
    IMG_20160402_181906.jpg
    With engine in place, it was time to install the transmission and tcase. Trans is a '79 model, so is tcase, from a Bronco. For a 40yo drivetrain, both were in spectacular shape. Craigslist find
    I went through and inspected each little part and did a mild rebuild and reseal on each. Many hours of cleaning and painted yeilded some beautiful beastly relics. Np205 received a JBfab twinstick kit.
    IMG_20160404_183932.jpg

Now to put it in. I used the Advance Adapters modified bellhousing kit. To my suprise, it took minimal tub trimming and from the driving position is easy to reach. I love when a plan comes together.
    IMG_20160411_174410.jpg

OTBTJ and drkelly like this.
  7. XJsavage

CfZno2ZUkAA9Jyj (1).jpg

I'll use this opportunity to give a quick shout out to CFS off-road in Columbia SC. Friends of mine whom have helped me out tremendously over the years with technical knowledge and insight. Theyre even nice enough to allow me to dig through their scrap metal pile!
    Speaking of, I picked up some used Bilsteins off of a Toyota FJ to go on the back. 10" travel with custom shock mounts I sourced from a 14bolt and picked up from Barnes. How I mounted them is a little nontraditional but I think it'll work.
    IMG_20160414_181017.jpg
    IMG_20160414_181030.jpg

8. XJsavage

IMG_20160403_190350.jpg On my last rig I had a set of Corbeau Baja SS. I've had a lot of injuries to my back so comfort and support is crucial. I loved my old corbeaus so I went back with the same seat this time. These are the JP model which works with the factory YJ brackets. Since I'll have a functional back seat, I thought I'd be nice to the passengers getting in and out.

9. VortecJeep

VortecJeep Powered by Uranium-235

You have the best pictures of any build thread :D

OTBTJ, 02gmc5.3, Jason W. and 2 others like this.
  10. SlinginSami

SlinginSami Member

Agreed

11. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

I need to get your number and come by the next time we are in Columbia.....

12. paradisePWoffrd

paradisePWoffrd Recovering Project Junkie

Those seats look crazy reclined.

13. XJsavage

I just did the math... I'm $2200 in the whole build so far. Including the purchase of a $650 welder. :D

Jody Treadway and drkelly like this.
  14. 88bronzetrooper

88bronzetrooper Well-Known Member

Which welder is that?

15. XJsavage

IMG_1359_original.jpg
    Tires and wheels

I've got two different sets of wheels so far. One is a set of stock 16" aluminum Excursion wheels I plan on using for the road. They'll eventually end up with maybe a 35" AT or something.
    IMG_20160419_185433.jpg

I also have some stock 16" steel wheels from a SD truck that I have plans of doing a bead lock conversion to.
    IMG_20160419_185337.jpg
    I've been looking at this company,
    DIY Weld on Beadlock Kits | Jester Fab
    Their #8 design....
    beadlock8_large.png
    I think they'll look pretty good.

For tires, right now I have a set of 37s that I plan on regrooving for primary trail tires. I'm constantly shopping around for anything in the 16" size and would love to end up with around a 40".

Come to think of it... I'll stick with 37s since I had the most enjoyment throughout the years on that size.

16. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid More parts than a 9 dollar chicken bucket!

Might would be worth it to snag some 17" steel wheels. Most 37s to 40s I see are for 17s.

17. 01tj

01tj #notoffroadsc

We need updates... Or more steam girl!! :flipoff2:

18. XJsavage

No progress this weekend. The wild is calling me. :smokin:

cowasee.jpg

Jody Treadway likes this.
  19. XJsavage

I slept in a little while this morning, worn out after a long night of galavanting along the beach and boat cruising escapades under a moonlit clear sky. Somewhere along the 53 mile stretch between Lone Star and Columbia.
    The veiw from my hammock at 9:00am.

IMG_20160423_223422.jpg

The better part of the day was spent running around collecting parts. The second degree sunburns kept me from doing any welding today so this was the best I could do.

Eventually I made it up to see a nice gentleman from Rock Hill SC who wheeleth a TJ, and bought a slick rear universal Jeep bumper. We had a quick discussion on the basic science of metals and I was back on my merry way. I have some plans for this to keep me busy after work this week.
    IMG_20160424_193141619.jpg

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  20. ncsutj

ncsutj Well-Known Member

Looks like an old style Garvin Industries Wilderness rack. I have the same one on my TJ.

Garvin Industries Wilderness Racks

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

XJsavage likes this.
  21. XJsavage

I think it is.

22. RHSCTJ

RHSCTJ Well-Known Member

It is a wilderness bumper. You forgot to take all the broken bolts!

ncsutj and XJsavage like this.
  23. XJsavage

Went into work super early, and got off early. I was really antsy to start tearing into this bumper, so to speak. When we dismounted it from RHSCTJs TJ, we had to plasma cut off part of the mount on the driver side. I knew it would be super easy to duplicate the passenger side out of 1/4" plate to rebuild the driver side mount. So I went to cutting and cleaning up the twisted mangled bits and drew out a plate for reassembly.
    IMG_20160425_192320.jpg
    I will say that I am genuinely impressed by the quality of this bumper overall. I had anticipated reinforcing a few things to suit my use, but I really couldn't justify doing much of anything major to try to improve it structurally.
    Test fit:
    IMG_20160425_192311.jpg

New mounting plate drilled and welded in.
    IMG_20160425_192232.jpg
    IMG_20160425_192243.jpg

Theres a few things I'm wanting to replace. One is the T handle for the swing out tire carrier. I'll come up with something interesting for it.
    IMG_20160425_192207.jpg

At some point, this receiver was creamed by a rock. Hard. All I'm going to do here is straighten back out, fully weld the outside perimeter so it doesn't happen again.
    IMG_20160425_192223.jpg

hurt4x4 and ncsutj like this.
  24. XJsavage

Onto the tire carrier. I need a 8 on 170 pattern to hold my spare. An idea I dreamt up was to cut off a spindle and weld it onto a standoff bracket mounted to the swing arm. I'd then take a spare Sterling ff hub loaded with bearings to bolt up to hold my tire. So I did. It'll give me up to 8 spare wheel studs and a full set of bearings I can use on the sterling under the Jeep. Ya never know.
    This is how the old tire carrier looked before:
    IMG_20160425_192215.jpg

I ended up using most of that exept now I needed a spindle. Luckily I have a junker behind the shed I can cut away on. If anybody was wondering what the tube thickness is on a 10.5 rear, and unless it changes on the other side of the flange, is 5/16".
    IMG_20160425_192146.jpg

My favorite part was welding the freshly cut spindle onto the rest of the tire mount bracket. I started with a 3/32 6010 rod for its awesome penetrating power and then capped off with two pass 3/32 7018.
    IMG_20160425_192136.jpg
    IMG_20160425_192126.jpg

I'll call it quits for tonight and pick back up tomorrow.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  25. NickMaul

NickMaul Well-Known Member

Awesome touch with the black and white theme. Also enjoy seeing some nice stick welds. Makes me realize I need to use my 220v stick welder on heavier stuff more than my 110v MIG :D

7018 final passes gives me a stiffy no homo

XJsavage likes this.