Propane burning Jeep

Just filled my tanks for $1.99 a gallon at the Flyin J at exit 150 between g-boro and durham. Further west it was $1.89 a gallon.

LAst I filled was at McCombs oil. But everywhere I checked around here was the same. I paid $1.79 a gallon

StudNuts said:

ok, that looks like devils playground, so I'm figuring there's someone around here with an AMC V8 with Propane on it. Who is he, wehre is he, is he on this? I'd like to know what equipement he used. Seems that most of the parts are pretty generic just make sure it supplies enough fuel, but the Carbs need to match your intake or the proper adapter.

That's the info I'm not finding. Anyone have contact info for him?

I can't view the vid, but I am running an AMC 360 with pane.
Give me a call 828 475 4370 or pm me your number and I will call you. Glad to help you out
Chip

jon (studnuts) is the one with the AMC on pane. thats his buggy in the vid. he is in raleigh, running forklift tanks, E, 425 mixer and a vff30 lockout i think.

ok so:

Tanks: fork lift, or what ever propane "certified" vessel
Lock out: vff30
Converter: ????
Mixer: E425
High pressure lines:
Low pressure lines:

Does that Carb/mixer bolt on to the stock AMC intake, or what adapter is needed.

Guess what I'm looking for is a complete parts list for shopping. I know where there's a couple fork lifts in a junk yard that I might go look at to scavange if they'll work.

Tanks from a fork lift prefered, but some do use a perminant mounte one. Aluminum forklift tanks prefered only because they are 20lbs lighter. 7.5 ballon ones are the norm.
Lock out yes, the vff30. You can also go with an electric lock off, but I have no problems with the vacuum.

Modle E converter

Impco 425 mixer

A Holly Square bore base plate will bolt directly to that. If you have OEM 4BBL intake you are good to go, if you have the 2bbl, you need to change intakes, or get an adapter.

Supply hose can be found at about any forklift repair place, but it does cost a bit. Fittings found there also, I recomend using the ones that can be reused.

Vapor hose can be about anything very low pressure, just needs to be able to handle heat from the engine.

The converter has to have the heater hoses run in and out of it. Easy fittings NPT found at any plumbing place. Makes sence once you are installing.

Hope this helps

You will use your same throttle linkage.

Tank straps are needed too, I got a deal on mine at a forklift junk yard.

The system on a forklift will be too small I think, unless is a massive Fl.

EBay, www.propaneguy.com, are good sources.

converter, impco model e. You will need a qjet adaptor, i got mine from autozone.

mbalbritton said:
ok so:

Tanks: fork lift, or what ever propane "certified" vessel
Lock out: vff30
Converter: ????
Mixer: E425
High pressure lines:
Low pressure lines:

Does that Carb/mixer bolt on to the stock AMC intake, or what adapter is needed.

Guess what I'm looking for is a complete parts list for shopping. I know where there's a couple fork lifts in a junk yard that I might go look at to scavange if they'll work.

cool, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks guys.

and ya, I'm running the 2bbl intake. so the Qjet adapter to my intake is what I 'm looking for.

thanks
brent

Give ya a hint... he wrote the post ;)

Really though, the equipment is universal. you can run either a Holley base or a Q-jet base on the mixer for a 4-barrel. snag an Edelbrock Performer intake and you're golden.

mbalbritton said:
Good info Braxton, thanks. but even afterwading thru all that, I still have a question....

What's the difference between Open Loop and Closed Loop.

Well to answer your question, closed loop requires a computer and an o2 sensor. It works just like efi when in closed loop and tries to keep the a/f r close to stoich for better emissions. Useless to us, and I guarantee noone here or on pirate has a closed loop lpg setup.

I called and checked the price for pane around here today. $1.79 if you buy 20 gallons or more. Same price it was last winter.

mbalbritton said:
ok, that looks like devils playground, so I'm figuring there's someone around here with an AMC V8 with Propane on it. Who is he, wehre is he, is he on this? I'd like to know what equipement he used. Seems that most of the parts are pretty generic just make sure it supplies enough fuel, but the Carbs need to match your intake or the proper adapter.

That's the info I'm not finding. Anyone have contact info for him?

Thats my crack box and im in Raleigh. Monks in Gboro, go check his setup out. Or if you want to venture to Raleigh, come on up and you can inspect mine. I got the Impco 425, Model E, VFF30 and two fork tanks on a 360.

Heres a little article that kilby and myself tossed together, not that informative but gives you a descent understanding.
http://www.flexedout.com/tech/propane.html

I was figuring 7 1/2 gallons per. At CN I wheeled for 9 hours, and both tanks were at 1/4 full so I used a tank and a half, or 10 or so gallons.But, I am very pleased with that. With my old carb set up I would have used a full tank and into my reserve 5 gallon can I always brought with me. that's my only good trip out and wheeled all day so far. !st trip I broke my T-case, so it just run all day for heat.

any way to set up pane so you could also still run gas? like for example run out of propane and there is'n a filling station for miles but your at a gas station with the 6.00 a gallon and need to get home.

Back