Propane plumbing

Southern_Transplant

Comic Relief
So, I've got a 120 propane tank from Suburban Propane. The only thing hooked up to it isy fireplace in the house. Considering the annual cost of keeping the thing, I'd like to get some more use out of it.

Has anyone tapped one of these residential tanks for their BBQ? If so, did you pay a plumber or just get the parts and hook it up yourself?

You just plan to use roll copper and.45* flares? Or were you planning steel pipe? Or csst? Is it all going to be outside?

They make a quick connect for attaching to a grill, if your gas line is already done in copper then buy a brass flare tee and some 1/2 roll copper and run it then bubble test

When the propane people set my tank for my fireplace i had them plumb it to my grill to with a shut off valve so if i want to replace my grille all i have to do is shut the valve off and not mess with the fireplace. We keep the valve shut off when the grille is not in use also. It cost me about 80.00 more to get it plumbed in then. It is easy to do yourself you can get the stuff you need to do it from Lowes or any Building supply places or from your propane place. I wouldn't go back to the little tanks ever the best mod i have done around my house in years.

When the propane people set my tank for my fireplace i had them plumb it to my grill to with a shut off valve so if i want to replace my grille all i have to do is shut the valve off and not mess with the fireplace. We keep the valve shut off when the grille is not in use also. It cost me about 80.00 more to get it plumbed in then. It is easy to do yourself you can get the stuff you need to do it from Lowes or any Building supply places or from your propane place. I wouldn't go back to the little tanks ever the best mod i have done around my house in years.
I wish I had the forethought five years ago to ask the propane company to do it when they did the install. Now, it seems like they are in the business of extracting blood just to swing by your house, but I'll ask.

Can you shoot me some pics of your setup? Like you said, Lowes or any other supply store probably has the parts. But when you're looking at it all, it's hard to visualize exactly what you need. My BBQ is about a 15 foot direct line from the tank. So, I'm thinking it can't be that complicated to run the line. Hell, I see RV propane hoses that are 25 feet long.

Technically you need a licensed plumber to route gas/fuel piping to appliances and install proper regulators according to factory specifications.

This would be in keeping yourself safe in the event of a fire for insurance purposes.

I wish I had the forethought five years ago to ask the propane company to do it when they did the install. Now, it seems like they are in the business of extracting blood just to swing by your house, but I'll ask.

Can you shoot me some pics of your setup? Like you said, Lowes or any other supply store probably has the parts. But when you're looking at it all, it's hard to visualize exactly what you need. My BBQ is about a 15 foot direct line from the tank. So, I'm thinking it can't be that complicated to run the line. Hell, I see RV propane hoses that are 25 feet long.
I will try to get a pic of it tomorrow mine is about 15 ft from my tank to. It is very simple set up.

I have some pics of the plumbing on my phone i don't know how to post them on here. My cell number 606-273-9516 send me a text and i will send them to you.

Back