Question on trailer size, need guidance

diver552

Thank you in advance. I have the opportunity to acquire an 18’ x 83” equipment hauler. 14k lbs rated. Approx 27’ long overall with tongue and dovetail/ramps and approx 104” wide overall at axles.

I’m looking to haul possibly my TJ, XJ or a buggy. I’m sure this is overkill. Just want to know if this is just way too much trailer or I should think about trading it for a smaller one. It will be pulled by a Chevy 2500hd duramax. New to pulling anything that long or wide. I’ve pulled some boats and utility trailers.

Any guidance about the trailer?

Thank you again.

B187B9E3-85E1-4E20-A5BD-1098A28A342C.jpeg

This is the trailer. 8 lug axles. I know it needs cleaning up and paint for sure at some point. Thanks again.

If you think it's big enough, it's not. If you think it's too big, then it's just right, for now. There was a good discussion on trailers a month or two ago. That trailer in particular is overkill for a jeep or buggy, but I'd rather it be overkill than running at its limit, or worse overloaded in the event you end up hauling something unexpected. I would look it over very well though, most equipment trailers are beat hard and neglected. Nothing that couldn't be overcome if the price is right though.

Duane

Thank you for your response. It is actually being given to me so the price is perfect. Lol It is from a family business and wasn’t abused. It unfortunately is in the Midwest and they use road salt. Worst thing about it.

Weight rating is a bit overkill, but otherwise it's perfect for your needs. Looks like a winner. And you have plenty of truck for it.

Clean it up and check over the bearings and brakes and stuff and you should be good to go. I’ve never heard anyone say a trailer was too big or could haul too much, I have heard the opposite many times though. If you go with new lights, LEDs off Amazon. You can get a whole kit pretty cheap.

I'd much rather have a heavier axle and tire with bigger brakes than something with smaller axles, brakes, and 15" tires.

I’ll play devils advocate. If the trailer is not being used near its capacity certain things will suffer. Namely, the ride quality and your back. There’s nothing wrong with 3500 pound axles or 15” rims if they do the job just fine. In your situation, free is free, and that’s nothing to take lightly. Give the trailer a go and then decide if it’s overkill. You may do well to clean it up, sell it, and fund the purchase of something you may like better. And yes, I haul on an 18’, 7K trailer, with 15” wheels…

And no one has died!

For certain it’s a yankee trailer. The “patina” gives it away. Lol.

Thanks again to everyone.

Anyone want to weigh in on what this might be worth if I decided to sell it?

Personally owning two trucks that came from the north, I wouldn't buy it. Look for similar trailers up that way to get an idea.

For certain it’s a yankee trailer. The “patina” gives it away. Lol.

Anyone want to weigh in on what this might be worth if I decided to sell it?

Trailer like that would probably still bring 3500-4000 in this market if the lights and brakes work like they should.

I agree I’d much rather have more than enough. Never know if you’ll wind up needing to haul a tractor or something. Or be like me. Have a dual 3500lb axle trailer and eventually get into a 1 ton rig. My Jeep is too wide for my trailer and I’m hauling the max load for that trailer. It does have upgraded tires and I keep up with the brakes and bearings yearly, but I’d have a lot more peace of mind with a 10k or higher trailer.

Your truck is plenty, and long as you have good tongue weight it’ll be fine. Be a little rough empty. If I had my way I’d have a 24’ deckover goose for when I’m just hauling my rig and not my crawler hauler. That would give me many options for hauling other things, room for the 1 ton rig and could haul 2 when needed.

Personally owning two trucks that came from the north, I wouldn't buy it. Look for similar trailers up that way to get an idea.
Hard to turn down a free trailer though. He could at least clean it up, sell it and buy what he really wants.

Hard to turn down a free trailer though. He could at least clean it up, sell it and buy what he really wants.
Or "SALE" it as is (had to say it that way :laughing:) and put a ridiculous price on it. Just include "Don't have to SALE" and "I know what I have" along with "Trailers like this are $6000 new and 27 months out" and you'll have plenty to go and negotiate a smaller trailer from someone else hands

Oh, I'd take it if it were free. Salt does a number on EVERYTHING bolts and screws plus wiring. yes maybe take it and sell is a good option too. A good simple paint job and it will be worth more for sure. And if it is more than what you need you might sell it for what meets your needs. Just might be a little tougher to sell down here for a "comparable" trailer.

I'd much rather have a heavier axle and tire with bigger brakes than something with smaller axles, brakes, and 15" tires.
This, much rather have 8 lug axles with dual brake and 16" radials. Our if your baller 17.5.

You'll have much better service life with a 14k trailer hauling at 50-60% capacity than a 7k at 90-95% capacity. As far as length get the longest your comfortable pulling, I bought a 20ft and wish I would've sprung for a 24ft.

I grew up there, and while normally I would absolutely skip it…it’s from a family business and free to me so I am not likely to get the same deal here. ;)

Thanks everyone. Not sure what my comfort level is. I’ve hauled boats behind a no power steering old bread truck (for a rescue team) and behind a pickup. However they were shorter. Guess when I go up I’ll hook it up and see how I feel about it. It was maintained and was not abused. I would likely clean it up and keep it unless it is too much then I may trade off or sell. I am concerned a bit about the ride empty because I’d have to pull it back that way. 1000 miles. I’ll put up with it for free though. :D

That said I’m probably overthinking it and it will be great for my needs. I probably won’t get it til spring. Don’t want to haul in inclement weather through the mountains if I don’t have too. It’s not going anywhere so it’s not a rush.

Grab it, use it, enjoy it.
I tell my wife this every night 👍 (and every once in a while, it actually works!)

Back