Quick release steering wheel

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Has anyone on here put a quick release steering wheel in their rig? Any TJs?

Why do you want to remove it? Anti-theft?

Wanna keep your airbag intact and functional?

Not at all, but it does need to pass inspection to be road legal, so I am assuming I will need a horn button?

Why do you want to remove it? Anti-theft?

I am planning on hard mounting my seat and tieing into the cage like I did in my ZJ. Since I have to be able to get the clutch all the way in, I am going to be really close to the steering wheel (you know, because I am not a little guy and I may or may not have a belly getting in the way :D) so I was thinking a removable steering wheel would make it easier to get in and out.

^^ same here. The NRG hub is legit; no play at all in it. I have the hex style on my jeep and it has some play in it; the NRG on the toyota locks up super solid and centers itself automatically.

I am planning on hard mounting my seat and tieing into the cage like I did in my ZJ. Since I have to be able to get the clutch all the way in, I am going to be really close to the steering wheel (you know, because I am not a little guy and I may or may not have a belly getting in the way :D) so I was thinking a removable steering wheel would make it easier to get in and out.
Shouldn't need a horn button on the wheel as long as you have one accessible from the drivers seat. I have a delivery truck that got a short in the column and it ate 2 horns. My mechanic said it would be easier and cheaper to put a button on the dash rather than pull the column. It's passed inspection 4yrs straight like that!

Removable steering wheel is a huge help for fat people. My other fat friend has one and its the only way to go with a fixed seat.

:smokin:

Last edited:
^^ same here. The NRG hub is legit; no play at all in it. I have the hex style on my jeep and it has some play in it; the NRG on the toyota locks up super solid and centers itself automatically.

Was your Jeep a TJ by chance?

My seat is hard mounted and I can still fit, the steering wheel isn't my problem. It's the cage I always hit getting in or out.

Anything that's fits a CJ, will fit a YJ and TJ. Even if they don't specific list it. (Air bags and such)
36 spline, I just checked

Last edited:
^Been there...done that. Good thing the house was only 30 min from Mtn City. :lol:

Ehh Hmmm...@rockcity pulled that trick in the ECORS days.
But harlan, KY is considerably further from Greenville, NC

Unhook battery
Remove airbag'
Remove steering wheel
Install (weld) quick release hub to steering shaft
Pop new wheel on hub
Forget QR wheel at home the next time you go wheel and regret adding one

@BigClay ^That is exactly what I did. If I could do it again I would probably do the NRG on the TJ; much nicer and it could be bolt on I think.

Back