Raising Chickens

Out in the coop now. Left them a heat lamp just to be safe.

20200522_201515.jpg

Out in the coop now. Left them a heat lamp just to be safe.

View attachment 318415
Get something to set the feed and water up on a couple inches or they will get filled with shavings as they scratch and they will get nasty especially the water cause it will just soak all the water up.

note: they will still get some shavings just not as much lol

Get something to set the feed and water up on a couple inches or they will get filled with shavings as they scratch and they will get nasty especially the water cause it will just soak all the water up.

note: they will still get some shavings just not as much lol
I have them hung, just need to raise them up. Thanks. Also need more shavibgs as its only an inch or so deep. But it'll do for a couple days.

We also settled on names.

Easter egger: Hazel
Delaware: Delilah
Silver lace orps: Lacy & Macy
Australorps: Reba & Gretchen

Got the ladies some more bedding, raised the feeder & waterer, and hung some entertainment.

20200524_201714.jpg

We gave our girls a bell and plastic mirror, They love them. Also some of them like swings, we did one and they are into one day and could care less the next.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Got the ladies some more bedding, raised the feeder & waterer, and hung some entertainment.

View attachment 318538
Next build a shelf and small partitions for nesting boxes. They will mostly naturally gravitate toward laying in a semi sheltered spot.....otherwise your gonna be searching the floor.

Next build a shelf and small partitions for nesting boxes. They will mostly naturally gravitate toward laying in a semi sheltered spot.....otherwise your gonna be searching the floor.

Yea, that's coming shortly. Gotta finish their run as they will soon be big enough.

Yea, that's coming shortly. Gotta finish their run as they will soon be big enough.
I would put roost bars in for them before the nest boxes. They won't need to nest until 18-20 weeks old.

Make sure the roosts are higher than where you plan the nests, and that there is a way for them to jump up to it easily. The roost is a social structure for the birds, so the more dominant will go higher. Rule of thumb is 1 ft sq of space per bird. Also anything under/around the roost will get crapped on FYI. Also think about getting in to feed/clean with their placement.

Based on your pic above, I'd put a 2" wide board down the length, about 6-12" under the windows. Space it off the wall a ft or so. But there are tons of places to put it, in there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would put roost bars in for them before the nest boxes. They won't need to nest until 18-20 weeks old.

Make sure the roosts are higher than where you plan the nests, and that there is a way for them to jump up to it easily. The roost is a social structure for the birds, so the more dominant will go higher. Rule of thumb is 1 ft sq of space per bird. Also anything under/around the roost will get crapped on FYI. Also think about getting in to feed/clean with their placement.

Based on your pic above, I'd put a 2" wide board down the length, about 6-12" under the windows. Space it off the wall a ft or so. But there are tons of places to put it, in there.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Thanks!

These birds are getting better by the day. Walked down to the basement to give the munchkin a bath and nearly crapped myself when I saw big ass wolf spider in the tub. Wend and got my biggest hen who quickly solved the problem, and even cleaned up the mess.

They are awesome for bug control, our girls follow my girlfriend around the yard. When beth sees something she calls the hens over and they get it. Or she picks them up to get bugs in the corners of the soffits around the patio haha

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Garden time. Yes, I need to weed it.

20200528_185905.jpg

made a lot of progress this weekend. Got all the joists put up today. Next is "rafters". Still need to put the roof over the run, build the gate, and put up roosting bars. Then it'll be done until I add nesting boxes. Munchkin is loving his friends.

20200530_151700.jpg

20200530_152354.jpg

20200530_160736.jpg

20200530_195235.jpg

Got em some roosting bars put in.

20200603_204132.jpg

Got the framing up for the run roof and a couple of pieces of wore on it.

20200604_202348.jpg

Got more of the run covered and made it so you can open the chicken door from outside the run.

20200607_163212.jpg

I've got one bird doesn't want to roost in the coop and is always trying to get out. Anything I can do?

20200606_220158.jpg

Heres where she likes to roost. She's not stuck, but likes to lay her head in the wire. And sadie is still unsure we of them.

20200607_211050.jpg

Don't worry, Mr Possum will take care of that problem real quick.

If you havent finished coverin the run yet look up avian netting on amazon. You can get big woven nylon nets to cover it all in one piece a lot cheaper than using chicken wire. My parent's had a hawk problem and since putting the net up haven't lost any to hawks. The hawk will land on the post in the middle but hasn't been able to get in.

If you havent finished coverin the run yet look up avian netting on amazon. You can get big woven nylon nets to cover it all in one piece a lot cheaper than using chicken wire. My parent's had a hawk problem and since putting the net up haven't lost any to hawks. The hawk will land on the post in the middle but hasn't been able to get in.

I have seen a number of folks that have also had success with running colorful string around the top. I believe I read that spacing less than 2ft would deter the hawks from trying to dive through.

Back