Ram Assist Mount?

SHINTON

Ok, 6psi on TSLS have ALOT more traction than the M/Ts did with 15psi and my steering box / current setup just did not give me all the steering I wanted this weekend.

I had mentioned to you folks before, I have bought a RAM assist with a 6" throw, and my current "throw" on the tie rod is about 5.5", I will adjust the stops so the RAM will be the "stops" after this install.

Ok, so my question is, how to mount it...previous discussions have included building a mount on a diff cover guard, some pros, some cons, and I am leaning towards the following welded to the axle tube instead.

It is a bit hard to see in the picture, but there is approx 2" or more, between the diff and the spring plate and I am wanting to weld my ram mount to the tube there, sandwiching it if you will.

What I have attempted to draw is this... a 2" x 3ish" box tube, notched on one end to match the curve of the tube. This box would stick out OVER the tie rod so that my hydro ram would literally run parallell to the tie rod. (This is a good thing I understand)

Then I would "simply" weld 2 ears on the tie rod itself for the other end of the ram to bolt to.

Please take a look, feedback is HIGHLY desired, this is my NUMBER one goal between now and Windrock (first weekend in May)

Sam

Attachments

• bug hydro.JPG
    bug hydro.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 606
I used 1/4 plate for the part I welded onto tie rod.

other end is mounted to axle

Attachments

• hydroram2.jpg
    hydroram2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 505
Looks good, I like the colors. :D

What kind of links are you running on your tie rod? A guy that was competing in VROC told me that w/ the assist steering you would bust the heims if you were running them and they were not large enough. Just something to think about.-Josh

Ken, any closer pictures of the other end?

My tie rod ends are the big honkin chevy one tons (they look identical to the ones spraypaintman was showing earlier this week)

Sam

I would be worried about the heim joint. The guy that did mine said the ram could break the knuckle off if you held the steering wheel hard over for an extended time. I tend to go overkill on steering and other intrical parts so they don't break. Location looks great, definately protected.

heres mine. I had a tube truss for the upper links, so I just plated it, and shoved some 1" bar in there and welded. Then reinforced it from behind. Then ran the lines right up the upper links.

100_0769.jpg

Weld it to the long side of the differential. Make sure you leave room for tie rod cycling and check everything twice. Center your ram and steering and weld or extend the ram and weld with steering held in full lock. Make sure your steering is stopped properly and cycling lock to lock evenly before welding the ram on. Attemp to weld the ram as parallel with the tie rod as possible.

Hey, maybe a newbie question, but here goes. I'm thinking about doing a ram assist also. Question is, how does it work? I can see how and why the ram will push I just can't picture what makes it pull? Is there some kind of selenoid to reverse flow of the hydraulics?

tech701 said:
Hey, maybe a newbie question, but here goes. I'm thinking about doing a ram assist also. Question is, how does it work? I can see how and why the ram will push I just can't picture what makes it pull? Is there some kind of selenoid to reverse flow of the hydraulics?

Yes, it's called a power steering box. It is a closed loop system. Turn the wheel one way and fluid flows that way, turn the wheel the other way and fluid flows in the opposite direction. This pushes the ram, from the 1/2 way point to either fully extended or fully colapsed. Left turn or right turn.

JB

There is a hydro "input" on each end of the cylinder, so when you steer one direction it pushes that way from THAT input, and when you steer the other it PULLS from that one and pushes in the other!

(That is how all hydraulics work "in principle"...there are other methods too...

What was the reasoning on using the long side of the axle to weld to? I will look at it but I want to make sure I do not interfere with the movement of the drag link...

Sam

SHINTON said:
Ken, any closer pictures of the other end?

x2. StudNuts, I wanna see yours as well.

Not like I'm gonna be running hydro-assist for a while, but I'd like to see how it mounts.

I'd say it depends on the rod end.... don't try using those 3/8" sintered ball joints you found at Tractor Supply. ;)

But your average precision-grade 3/4" SRE is good for about 11k.

Your average power steering pump generates about 1000-1200 psi. Multiply that by the area of the "big" end of a single-end 2" ram, get 3.14 sqin. Or, less than 3800# of force.

buggybuilder said:
Heims are OK for hydro assist steering...............just my .02.. :driver:

i agree heims are fine on the tie rod, but what asartin was saying is that heims are not the best idea on a drag link b/c it reaches angles that will max the heim out. the tie rod goes with the axle, hence does not reach angles, the drag link drops and raises as the axle articulates.

i think i would go cross over on the drag link as priority number one, then deal with the hydro assist.

Back