Random pic thread.

Smart man. I see speed and efficiency from the weight reduction. Tractor gains horsepower every time a rust chunk falls off.
That's my concern. One of those square foot sized pieces is gonna come off while he's running it and go through his kidney or head at 100mph.

Craftsman Warranty is actually redeemable at Lowes! (with a little qualification: so long as the have the same item in stock, but it does not have to have the identical part number)

I had a Craftsman 10mm wrench, 7/16" socket, 3/16" allen (3/8" drive), and an 80 tooth ratchet that were broken and needed replacement. Went to Customer Service desk at Lowes, lady said go find the replacement on the shelf and bring it back. They had everything except the ratchet. The wrench and one of the sockets was a variation in part number, but it was no issue. She punched some stuff into the computer, and a couple minutes later I was on my way.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the newer wrench (bottom) was broached on center and did not have a tremendous amount of excess casting.
View attachment 344237
(Sorry for the crappy pic, my phone apparently was more interested in the trashcan below the table instead of the objects in the center foreground of the picture or the large flat table surface :confused:)

Once I got back to the office, I snapped a couple pics of the broken ratchet and emailed them to Craftsman customer support.
View attachment 344230
View attachment 344233

That was on Monday, Wednesday I had an email back from them, Thursday I had a shipping notification, and couple days later I had a brand new 120tooth polished ratchet!
View attachment 344232

Since I still had the old ratchet, and I really liked the feel of it, I went to ebay and bought a rebuild kit for $14. Woohoo!
View attachment 344234
View attachment 344235

So if you have Craftsman stuff, Lowes will warranty it, if they stock it, and Craftsman will warranty it if Lowes doesn't! :D
Timely post. Saw 2 broken ratchets in the bottom of my toolbox last night and thought wonder what I can do with these.

Craftsman Warranty is actually redeemable at Lowes! (with a little qualification: so long as the have the same item in stock, but it does not have to have the identical part number)

I had a Craftsman 10mm wrench, 7/16" socket, 3/16" allen (3/8" drive), and an 80 tooth ratchet that were broken and needed replacement. Went to Customer Service desk at Lowes, lady said go find the replacement on the shelf and bring it back. They had everything except the ratchet. The wrench and one of the sockets was a variation in part number, but it was no issue. She punched some stuff into the computer, and a couple minutes later I was on my way.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the newer wrench (bottom) was broached on center and did not have a tremendous amount of excess casting.
View attachment 344237
(Sorry for the crappy pic, my phone apparently was more interested in the trashcan below the table instead of the objects in the center foreground of the picture or the large flat table surface :confused:)

Once I got back to the office, I snapped a couple pics of the broken ratchet and emailed them to Craftsman customer support.
View attachment 344230
View attachment 344233

That was on Monday, Wednesday I had an email back from them, Thursday I had a shipping notification, and couple days later I had a brand new 120tooth polished ratchet!
View attachment 344232

Since I still had the old ratchet, and I really liked the feel of it, I went to ebay and bought a rebuild kit for $14. Woohoo!
View attachment 344234
View attachment 344235

So if you have Craftsman stuff, Lowes will warranty it, if they stock it, and Craftsman will warranty it if Lowes doesn't! :D
Good Lord, how Old is that thing? I have some Old ones, but never seen a round handle! lol

Pulling into the Quarry today, I thought, O, gonna make a commercial! Naw, dude just weighing the truck, separately, & I guess the combo unit. I didn't get to see if he took the trailer across the scale. He had just backed under the trailer, as I was crossing the scale.

Attachments

• 20210421_210056.jpg
    20210421_210056.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210421_210147.jpg
    20210421_210147.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 141
Good Lord, how Old is that thing? I have some Old ones, but never seen a round handle! lol
Early 2000s I believe. Feels really good in your hand. Ratchets are like women I suppose?

2 of my 4LOW brothers dropped by the Casa today and helped me get the lift install finished and functional. Huge thanks to @Paul and @upnover

Couldn’t have done it without the BDB brotherhood.
7FA439DB-6D0D-4913-8C89-DB56782C30CB.jpeg

That's my concern. One of those square foot sized pieces is gonna come off while he's running it and go through his kidney or head at 100mph.
True story; My uncles best friend had a piece fly out from/off of a rotary mower and hit him across the back of his head. They found him late that night laying in the field with the tractor way off down on the other side of the property. Severe brain damage from blood loss/laying out in the sun for however long and never recovered the use of the entire left side of his body. That being said just tell pops to wear a helmet.

146”

I have exactly 1” of clearance between the top rail and the sheet rock.
Hey, clearance is clearance! Man I'm jealous of that compared to my 9' limit :mad:

Big tree fall hard

1619104918669.png

thats worse than the one of mine you welded on
I KNOW!!! I told my mom I was buying him a new one, and she asked why can't we just fix the one he has since we know that piece of equipment (which is a very valid question). I proceded to list out how much 30sqft of 11 gauge plate would be ($200+ just for the material, more if we want it cut into any shape), and how it would be probably 6-8 hours of work to break it down and put it back together the right way. Not a job I want to do. But if the old man wants his King Cutter, I'll do what I gotta do.

Looks like I get to be a welder for a day. These homeowners were wanting to incorporate some antique fence paneling and an ancient iron gate (along with two granite entry posts) salvaged from various family properties into their new home build here in Columbia. All we had to do was fab some capped posts and show up to put it all together. Beautiful day to get out the shop and burn some 7018s with the Trailblazer.
IMG_20210422_143717629.jpg

IMG_20210422_144231587_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210422_144441926_HDR.jpg

I KNOW!!! I told my mom I was buying him a new one, and she asked why can't we just fix the one he has since we know that piece of equipment (which is a very valid question). I proceded to list out how much 30sqft of 11 gauge plate would be ($200+ just for the material, more if we want it cut into any shape), and how it would be probably 6-8 hours of work to break it down and put it back together the right way. Not a job I want to do. But if the old man wants his King Cutter, I'll do what I gotta do.
Im guilty of putting too much time and money into a king cutter myself. By the time I bought and replaced my stump jumped, welded and played all the bad spots and replaced the piece in the middle that the head bolts to, I probably could have bought a new one. But dagonit, I just wasn't going to give up that easily

Looks like I get to be a welder for a day. These homeowners were wanting to incorporate some antique fence paneling and an ancient iron gate (along with two granite entry posts) salvaged from various family properties into their new home build here in Columbia. All we had to do was fab some capped posts and show up to put it all together. Beautiful day to get out the shop and burn some 7018s with the Trailblazer.
View attachment 344359
View attachment 344367
View attachment 344368
That's awesome, cool thing about work like that is years from now you'll drive past it and smile while saying to yourself, I did that.

Im guilty of putting too much time and money into a king cutter myself. By the time I bought and replaced my stump jumped, welded and played all the bad spots and replaced the piece in the middle that the head bolts to, I probably could have bought a new one. But dagonit, I just wasn't going to give up that easily
His is fine other than the plate, but to fix it right, I would need to knock off all the plate, get it down to the frame, and the weld the outside channels back on. Honestly I like their design with the C-channel side rails, because that's where everyone else's deck fails, but the plate's gotta survive too.

I have my eye on this Dunham EG60 cutter, and the deck is 3/16"ish plate and free of rust.
1619119800313.png

Gearbox is smooth and deck is in great shape other than the obvious surface rust. But I kinda worry that will add too much weight for his anemic Ford 8N. But I can get it for not much more than the material to fix his, and can probably get $100-200 for the busted King Kutter. Also, has anyone priced 5ft bush hogs lately? Cheapest new one I could find was $1150! Last I checked they were like $600-700 all day long (but it has been a few years).

His is fine other than the plate, but to fix it right, I would need to knock off all the plate, get it down to the frame, and the weld the outside channels back on. Honestly I like their design with the C-channel side rails, because that's where everyone else's deck fails, but the plate's gotta survive too.

I have my eye on this Dunham EG60 cutter, and the deck is 3/16"ish plate and free of rust.
View attachment 344376

Gearbox is smooth and deck is in great shape other than the obvious surface rust. But I kinda worry that will add too much weight for his anemic Ford 8N. But I can get it for not much more than the material to fix his, and can probably get $100-200 for the busted King Kutter. Also, has anyone priced 5ft bush hogs lately? Cheapest new one I could find was $1150! Last I checked they were like $600-700 all day long (but it has been a few years).
We talked about this last time before I bant you

Which is why I went with: J Bar Standard Rotary Cutter

I went with the 6' premier just for the slip clutch. Havent regretted it yet. 7ga deck and a 75hp gear box. Its beefy. I paid $1200 for it but if you are ok with the base model you can get them under $800 from my boy in Jonesville

Last edited:

View attachment 344376

Honestly, there isn't much to them. I seriously contemplated cutting off the flatbar frame and just reusing that and the gearbox and build the rest myself, just more heavy duty. Then I reminded myself that I don't really have anything to bush hog and went with the "easier" solution.

Back