Random pic thread.

eh, that'll ride, just pack it full of grease and it'll stop most the noise at low speed.. did that with a model 55 side rake... Worked as long as we ran it (couple years).. man those were fun to watch run.. ground drive, no pto from tractor needed.

View attachment 301247
(Model 56, but very very similar)
I raked with one of those styles for many years. I actually prefer it over the one we have now.

@GotWood should change his screen name to GotgearsandafullTrackLockrebuild
View attachment 301238 View attachment 301239

There's scalloping and fatigue spalling in the same area of the race; that's a classic case of loss-of-preload leading to localized overloading. Bearing is probably old and past its fatigue life.

Notice how it's all contained in 180degrees of the race. Cooool photo. Something was obviously deflecting to put more massively more load on that side of the race, which is why there is scalloping and spalling in that same area and not on the rest of the race.

How much wear was at the ends of the roller slots of the roller cage?

Last edited:
There's scalloping and fatigue spalling in the same area of the race; that's a classic case of loss-of-preload leading to localized overloading. Bearing is probably old and past its fatigue life.

Notice how it's all contained in 180degrees of the race. Cooool photo.

Can't make this text up from 4 hours ago
Screenshot_20190821-214609.png

Roller edges had visible wear but the race took the brunt of the wear. Obviously

Can't make this text up from 4 hours ago
View attachment 301263

Roller edges had visible wear but the race took the brunt of the wear. Obviously

The ends of the cage slots would be really worn usually with scalloping like that, because the rollers tend to slide up the race when they move into that heavily loaded area without preload (preload will limit motion obviously). Same thing with wear on the edges of the rollers.
The interesting part is that it isn't the normal loss of preload and fatigue spalling, it's the really asymmetric loading that makes the cool scallops and the very localized spalling. I can totally understand the "floating pinion" part of it.....

Make very sure that the bearing seats are still round.

I saw nothing to convince me otherwise. It also went together very well and perhaps most importantly, the new pinion nut (with Loctite) went on just once, upon final, final assembly when everything had been checked and rechecked.

Notice how it's all contained in 180degrees of the race. Cooool photo. Something was obviously deflecting to put more massively more load on that side of the race, which is why there is scalloping and spalling in that same area and not on the rest of the race.

One of the few nerdy things you have said I can wrap my head around. :beer::beer::beer::beer:

Had one come in, broken can tensioner (@336wheeler old vw, after I fixed it, they kept driving, and restarting when it stalled, and would only hit 35mph, that is, until it wouldn't.)

About welded the cams to the head. (exhaust was pretty well stuck, pictured is intake cam & corresponding journals, which was wallered worse.)
IMG_20190822_000437163.jpg

And trashed the main bearings also, brass|copper & lead & AL visually in oil, as far as I know there is no copper/brass in the motor except in the main/rod bearings.

59572.jpeg

It's easy to see by eye however, brass/copper fleckles stands out. Just about like yellow/gold/silver glitter.... Ooohhhhh I just came up with a dead serious prank that'd really really mess with a good friend.. throw glitter in the old oil, mix it up, and then be like oh dude the motors going to crap... Nah I couldn't joke about that to anyone , unless it was about my own vehicle. Heck I don't need any more work.

only problem with them is the danged chinesium rubber mounted fingers breaking every time you turn around.. I've seen ones old as dirt last longer than the new ones.. :shaking:
The one we had didn't have any rubber on the fingers.

The ends of the cage slots would be really worn usually with scalloping like that, because the rollers tend to slide up the race when they move into that heavily loaded area without preload (preload will limit motion obviously). Same thing with wear on the edges of the rollers.
The interesting part is that it isn't the normal loss of preload and fatigue spalling, it's the really asymmetric loading that makes the cool scallops and the very localized spalling. I can totally understand the "floating pinion" part of it.....

Please see attached:
IMG_20190822_113440639.jpg

That's not quite the same as I was expecting to see. Looks like there's been some contact on the end of the cage slots, but not a huge amount. That band of less wear on the end of the rollers is interesting though; that's a clear sign of a relative motion problem where the inner or outer race is not contacting the roller along the entire length at some point along the rotation. Totally fits with loss of preload for something that is getting loaded direction-ally like a pinion. Other than that, just the normal spalling from overload and/or debris.

Kind of cool to analyze, even though you already know what the root cause is.

Last edited:
I've done dozens of gear sets. (not as many as @Jody Treadway) on road trucks, haulers and daily drivers. Never had this kind of issue. I am not that nc4x4 member that did that bearing replacement. However, I would like to know who did. so I could warn others...

I don't think nor am I implying this was an install error. I want to be clear about that.

Something caused the pinion to lose preload. Maybe the crush sleeve wasn't straight, maybe the nut was reused, who knows.
The cause of the bearing and race wear was a lack of pinion preload which caused the pinion to float in the housing and the resulting bearing and race failure.

I've done dozens of gear sets. (not as many as @Jody Treadway) on road trucks, haulers and daily drivers. Never had this kind of issue. I am not that nc4x4 member that did that bearing replacement. However, I would like to know who did. so I could warn others...
Sorry, not gonna happen. As stated, it could be a multitude of reasons.

But i will confirm it wasn't you!

Walked out of the house this afternoon to go to open house after an hour of severe storms, passenger door is standing wide open on my wifes car. It has literally 4" of water in the floorboards. My 12yo said "I musta forgot to close it". Are you kidding me? There are literally three steps to correctly exiting a car 1) open the door. 2) step out of vehicle. 3) close door. Wet dry vaccd all we could and put a couple of fans on it for the night after we got back from open house.
20190822_210625.jpg

Back