Random Thoughts.....

Y’all do realize there are NC laws that say “Slower traffic keep right” and “Keep right except to pass”, right?

It doesn’t say unless you don’t like it. It doesn’t say unless you think you’re already going fast enough. Just move over so I don’t have to pass you on the damn right because you Priesla is camped in the left lane.

if you are in the left lane and someone is wanting to go faster than you, get over

going 20 mph over the speed limit in a controlled manner in a straght line is far safer than constant brake tapping, weaving, speeding up and slowing down.....

if no one is to your right, get over

i'll deal with the person that is in front of you.

and will eventually get to the camper going the exact speed limit causing chaos

i'm here to solve problems

Y’all do realize there are NC laws that say “Slower traffic keep right” and “Keep right except to pass”, right?

It doesn’t say unless you don’t like it. It doesn’t say unless you think you’re already going fast enough. Just move over so I don’t have to pass you on the damn right because you Priesla is camped in the left lane.
who are you talking to?
Who here has disagreed with this?

From your prospective speed limits are unreasonable and in the name of efficiency we should all just floor it so the flashers are not impeded. Retards willing to do 30 over in what ever flavor death mobile doesn't mean I'm gonna pursue the same end.
It really grates my nerves when I'm overtaking a right lane driver and some butthead flashes turns right weaves and shoots through traffic like retard Ricky Bobby. The flashers and "nocar" wanna be fit in the same category. Selfish and a danger to everyone else. Waving folks over with lights should be the same as a reckless driving in my book.
Its not that they (speed limits) are unreasonable.

Congestion and lane changes are much more likely to cause an accident than spacing and speed.

The law isn't 'get out of left lane unless you are doing the speed limit' - If you are running 20 over and another car is traveling 30 over you are more wrong than they for clogging up traffic and creating congestion.

It doesn't matter if you are closing on a middle lane driver and will pass him in a quarter mile. either speed up and get on around or get over, be inconvenienced and let the faster driver through.

This isn't some debatable opinionated theory. Transportation psychology is a studied and mastered science at this point. The most dangerous attentive (eliminating drunk and texting drivers) driver on the road - who causes the most deaths is the speed limit following left laner.

Last edited:
if you are in the left lane and someone is wanting to go faster than you, get over

going 20 mph over the speed limit in a controlled manner in a straght line is far safer than constant brake tapping, weaving, speeding up and slowing down.....

if no one is to your right, get over

i'll deal with the person that is in front of you.

and will eventually get to the camper going the exact speed limit causing chaos

i'm here to solve problems
Look Ratty and Drew, two dudes I agree with 99% of the time on...most everything....have done made allies out of me and Benxj...that should tell ya how wrong you are.
:D:flipoff2:

Its not that they (speed limits) are unreasonable.

Congestion and lane changes are much more likely to cause an accident than spacing and speed.

The law isn't 'get out of left lane unless you are doing the speed limit' - If you are running 20 over and another car is traveling 30 over you are more wrong than they for clogging up traffic and creating congestion.

It doesn't matter if you are closing on a middle lane driver and will pass him in a quarter mile. either speed up and get on around or get over, be inconvenienced and let the faster driver through.

This isn't some debatable opinionated theory. Transportation psychology is a studied and mastered science at this point. The most dangerous attentive (eliminating drunk and texting drivers) driver on the road - who causes the most deaths is the speed limit following left laner.
I think you guys are missing what I was saying.
I 100% also agree with and advocate that the left lane is solely for passing and the fastest person.
BUT - that means If I am in the left lane then it means I have nowhere else to go right now because I am in the process of passing. I can't move over. There is no choice. Flashing your lights means nothing because I have nothing else to do.
Could I speed up? Yes, I could, but this is where my comfort level exceeds your hurry. I'm not going to drive faster than I feel comfortable. I was already there, doing my thing, passing people, when mr flashy flashy got behind me.

I think you guys are missing what I was saying.
I 100% also agree with and advocate that the left lane is solely for passing and the fastest person.
BUT - that means If I am in the left lane then it means I have nowhere else to go right now because I am in the process of passing. I can't move over. There is no choice. Flashing your lights means nothing because I have nothing else to do.
Could I speed up? Yes, I could, but this is where my comfort level exceeds your hurry. I'm not going to drive faster than I feel comfortable. I was already there, doing my thing, passing people, when mr flashy flashy got behind me.
I get what you are saying, and there is logic there of course. I would only add situational awareness to the factor. Knowing who is coming up behind you, how quickly they are approaching and if you have time to pass and get out of the way again without impeding any traffic, then go for it. If not, then that person behind you that is approaching has to hit his brakes. as soon as that happens it creates a chain reaction of brakes and here we go again with slowing traffic.

This isn't anything new and its well proven and documented.

Y'all are kinda all over the place on this. If you are in the left lane holding up anyone who is moving faster than you and can reasonably move over and do not, then you are purposefully being a jerk.
If there's a full line of traffic in front and beside you and you are keeping up with the flow then the speeder behind you needs to realize it and chill.

Y'all are kinda all over the place on this. If you are in the left lane holding up anyone who is moving faster than you and can reasonably move over and do not, then you are purposefully being a jerk.
If there's a full line of traffic in front and beside you and you are keeping up with the flow then the speeder behind you needs to realize it and chill.
This is a good summary.

Every person in the left lane line needs to move over in this instance. Since you only control your vehicle o your part and let mr. Flashy lights aggravate the next in line.

Or tailgate the person in front of you and start flashing your lights.

:D

There is usually enough room to pass on the left shoulder

Every person in the left lane line needs to move over in this instance. Since you only control your vehicle o your part and let mr. Flashy lights aggravate the next in line.

Or tailgate the person in front of you and start flashing your lights.

:D
How do you move over if there is a person beside you?

I guess this is a move for you guys that drive big trucks.
In my Mazda - thats not going to go so well.

I'd there is a person beside you, then you are not passing.
Get over

I know it can be nuanced, but how does it break so bad that the entire lane stops dead? Every single day?
There has to be a one person that causes the chaotic chain reaction....I'd like to have a talk with them.

I'd there is a person beside you, then you are not passing.
Get over

I know it can be nuanced, but how does it break so bad that the entire lane stops dead? Every single day?
There has to be a one person that causes the chaotic chain reaction....I'd like to have a talk with them.
Dude.
While you are passing, there is a person beside you. Physics. These things do not happen instantaneously.
As long as you're not an asshole and you leave distance between yourself and the car you pass, and any car in front, it takes many seconds to get clear and move over. Basic math.

In a similar vein, merging traffic
How do you move over if there is a person beside you?
Thus my comment earlier about Situational awareness. Know if there is someone coming up behind you faster and if you have sufficient time to pass the person in front of you.

Now, if you're sitting in a long line of traffic in the left lane and there's people beside you, then you and everyone in front of you in the left lane, ESPECIALLY the idiot at the front of the line, are all the issue.

The real issue here is ego and the "I was here first" attitude. If everyone dropped that and had a good understanding of how to use the highway, this wouldn't be a discussion.

I'll equate it to this. If you programmed self driving cars to efficiently use a multi lane highway, They could manage it with out said congestion issue. Why? You remove the big issue. EGO. And yes, I'm guilty of it too. I try not to, but... oh fuckin well, get out of the way, I'm coming through. :D

who are you talking to?
Who here has disagreed with this?
Are we reading the same thread?
After being in Europe and fully understanding the flashing of lights I’ll say that if I’m in the go lane and someone comes behind me and flashes their lights at me I will take all the time I want to get out of their way. That shit doesn’t fly here and is illegal so Mr. or Mrs. flashy-Mc douchebag can fawk all the way off. Don’t like it? Move to Europe. Bye.
If your red or blue I'll gladly move in a hurry. Average cock sucker trying to make time by flashing lights? I might just camp out and force you to pass on the right. Flashing lights are for emergencies not Karen's who think they are more important than anyone not running ticket money speed. I get the purpose of the left lane. It's not feeding your "VIP ego".

I'm with @RatLabGuy . If I am in the hammer lane making a pass and someone comes up behind me in a hurry, they have to wait for me to finish my pass. I am not speeding up and I am not slowing down. I am going to continue with my current rate of speed and finish the pass I started before they showed up.

For the record, I think most of the vocalists in this thread are not the cause of the problem. If someone is making progress, I give them grace. If they then slow down and start making regress, I move lefter and closer. If they don't start making progress again, I PIT em.

I'll pay for the dash cam if you post the footage! There's been a lot I'd like to do that to.
If everything I said on the internet was true, it wouldn't be the internet. 🤷‍♂️

Back