Rant-Apprently I’m privileged

77GreenMachine

Phillip Talton
Long rant...

So for those who don’t know I’m Outside sales at a construction material company. I visit job sites, office, take people to lunch/golf whatever, just maintaining the relationships so they think of us for their purchasing needs. This also inlvoves a lot of problem solving and technical services, pre bids, pre-construction meeting, arguments with engineers and architects and such.

Anyways, a foot of snow has made for a slow week in construction. Also keeping my daughter out of school for 4 days. So yesterday I brought her to work with me. I’ve done this before during the summer and she’s tagged along in the evenings after school. My customers love her and have no issue with bringing her to their office, I’ve never taken her on a job site. She comes to my office with me too for short periods of time. She typically sits at an available desk and draws pictures.

My inside sales guys on the counter help with walk ins, process orders that I send in, answer phone calls and help us outside sales people. It is not a high paying position ($12-$14/hr). Most of them do not put any effort into being better or moving up. They are as high as they will ever be in this company due to their own effort (lack there of). So one of them ask me yesterday if daycare was closed, I said “no she’s in 1st grade man, her school is closed again” this was followed by asking if my wife couldn’t get off work. I said “my wife doesn’t work, my daughter is just tired of being at home so I brought her with me since we are so slow” followed by laughingly saying “we needed to give mommy a break didn’t we?” To my daughter.

I had no idea the millennial snowflake entitled lierabal melt down this would cause. I had to go talk to someone in the warehouse about something and told my daughter to hang tight and I’d be right back. I was gone about 8 minutes and when I returned I had a phone call from my GM who wasn’t there at the moment saying that he just received a call from our CEO and that there was a complaint. He was upset too because the day before he had his daughter with him, and we were both told we could no longer bring our kids to work. This really pissed me off being we are family owned and claim to be such a family oriented business.

So I talk with my GM this morning and get the whole scoop. The catalyst to this was that I was “arrogant and cocky” with the fact that my wife doesn’t work. This among other things over time that the counter guys have gathered, such as me taking wheeling trips, currently in the market for another Jeep, keeping an eye out for land the purchase, etc.

So my GM tells me he got the same talk. The other week he invited an employee over to his house prior to our company Christmas party. My GM has a huge 5400sqft house in Jamestown. His wife is VP of a huge company, they have saved well, and they also flipped 3 other house several years ago before buying this one. Well by the time he got to the party this person went around talking about how extravagant his house was and this that and the third.

So the CEO is upset because one of the counter guys went up and complained saying the outside sales (me) apparently are paid so much more that their wives don’t work and they take all these fancy trips, meanwhile they are stuck on the counter for their hourly rate and struggling, and comparing about how unfair it all is and the GM lives in a mansion with gold floors and a butler (sarcasm).

This pisses me of to no end. Let me explain. Must of y’all know I made many sacrifices a few years ago and worked very hard to be debt free. That didn’t happen till February of this year. Then my wife was able to quit work to be with our 2 kids more. I drive older, paid for vehicles with extremely high mileage. @Chris_Keziah can vouch for what a cheap bastard I am most of the time. I save and stretch and save some more. Everything I do is planned ahead and a budget is set for way ahead of time.
Now these guys complaining? They spend their paychecks on goofy shoes, going out to clubs and bars on the regular, then they are broke before payday again. They don’t save, they don’t plan, and they don’t try to do better at work and move up.

Basically I have to watch how these guys know about my life because of how it is percieved to them. Their sense of entitlement makes them angry if Johnny walks in with new shoes they say “how’d Johnny get new shoes, did he get a raise? I need a raise”

Stupid snowflakes.

Long rant...

So for those who don’t know I’m Outside sales at a construction material company. I visit job sites, office, take people to lunch/golf whatever, just maintaining the relationships so they think of us for their purchasing needs. This also inlvoves a lot of problem solving and technical services, pre bids, pre-construction meeting, arguments with engineers and architects and such.

Anyways, a foot of snow has made for a slow week in construction. Also keeping my daughter out of school for 4 days. So yesterday I brought her to work with me. I’ve done this before during the summer and she’s tagged along in the evenings after school. My customers love her and have no issue with bringing her to their office, I’ve never taken her on a job site. She comes to my office with me too for short periods of time. She typically sits at an available desk and draws pictures.

My inside sales guys on the counter help with walk ins, process orders that I send in, answer phone calls and help us outside sales people. It is not a high paying position ($12-$14/hr). Most of them do not put any effort into being better or moving up. They are as high as they will ever be in this company due to their own effort (lack there of). So one of them ask me yesterday if daycare was closed, I said “no she’s in 1st grade man, her school is closed again” this was followed by asking if my wife couldn’t get off work. I said “my wife doesn’t work, my daughter is just tired of being at home so I brought her with me since we are so slow” followed by laughingly saying “we needed to give mommy a break didn’t we?” To my daughter.

I had no idea the millennial snowflake entitled lierabal melt down this would cause. I had to go talk to someone in the warehouse about something and told my daughter to hang tight and I’d be right back. I was gone about 8 minutes and when I returned I had a phone call from my GM who wasn’t there at the moment saying that he just received a call from our CEO and that there was a complaint. He was upset too because the day before he had his daughter with him, and we were both told we could no longer bring our kids to work. This really pissed me off being we are family owned and claim to be such a family oriented business.

So I talk with my GM this morning and get the whole scoop. The catalyst to this was that I was “arrogant and cocky” with the fact that my wife doesn’t work. This among other things over time that the counter guys have gathered, such as me taking wheeling trips, currently in the market for another Jeep, keeping an eye out for land the purchase, etc.

So my GM tells me he got the same talk. The other week he invited an employee over to his house prior to our company Christmas party. My GM has a huge 5400sqft house in Jamestown. His wife is VP of a huge company, they have saved well, and they also flipped 3 other house several years ago before buying this one. Well by the time he got to the party this person went around talking about how extravagant his house was and this that and the third.

So the CEO is upset because one of the counter guys went up and complained saying the outside sales (me) apparently are paid so much more that their wives don’t work and they take all these fancy trips, meanwhile they are stuck on the counter for their hourly rate and struggling, and comparing about how unfair it all is and the GM lives in a mansion with gold floors and a butler (sarcasm).

This pisses me of to no end. Let me explain. Must of y’all know I made many sacrifices a few years ago and worked very hard to be debt free. That didn’t happen till February of this year. Then my wife was able to quit work to be with our 2 kids more. I drive older, paid for vehicles with extremely high mileage. @Chris_Keziah can vouch for what a cheap bastard I am most of the time. I save and stretch and save some more. Everything I do is planned ahead and a budget is set for way ahead of time.
Now these guys complaining? They spend their paychecks on goofy shoes, going out to clubs and bars on the regular, then they are broke before payday again. They don’t save, they don’t plan, and they don’t try to do better at work and move up.

Basically I have to watch how these guys know about my life because of how it is percieved to them. Their sense of entitlement makes them angry if Johnny walks in with new shoes they say “how’d Johnny get new shoes, did he get a raise? I need a raise”

Stupid snowflakes.
Try teaching them..but I agree with you.
The boss man should have backed you up. I bet his Ass he is either two types of owners.
One. He busted his Ass to get where he is...
Two. He married into, born into, or fell into where he is....

If it's one,he needs to reaqquaint himself with how he got to his position. And then be apart of the problem and mentor some underlings.

I feel for ya Phillip!

Those people are everywhere, and generally make up 49% of the world.

I worked fore a contractor back in 2005-2007. His shop was on his home property. He has a VERY nice spread! I was his estimator/project manager/design build manager. I had 1/3 of the employees on my jobs. Some were cool and never cared what the boss did, but most begrudged anything he did there on his "ponderosa"
If he'd build a new wood shed they'd piss and moan about how much money HE's making and how little THEY make. How old their van was while he bought his wife a new car every 2 years.
My response was always: "No one is forcing you to work for him. No one is holding a gun to your head to take that paycheck. If you're mad, leave"

It gets better with age. Not the backstabbing whiney ass snowflakes, but your give-a-shit meter really starts to decline the older you get. Plus, you will start to realize these people will never be happy. Nothing YOU can do different, and nothing you can do to prevent them from being a pain in the ass to you in the situation you are in. Your gut instinct is o make their life miserable...but as you know, they're already there. "bless their little hearts"

Your venting is not in vein though. Been there....

I could go into a longer rant on why education is killing our youth.....it's so much easier to bring the field down to a particular level.

To raise the bar requires individualism....something we have lost sight of all most entirely unless it is sarcasm, or grossly frivolous attention gaining entertainment. Merit in things of value and worse yet doing things just because it's a needed step toward self investment are a thing of the past.

It is all how can I use a group or situation to leap ahead of the rest. If a situation or person doesn't present itself we will just dumb those down around us to make the platform lower.

I feel for ya Phillip!

Those people are everywhere, and generally make up 49% of the world.

I worked fore a contractor back in 2005-2007. His shop was on his home property. He has a VERY nice spread! I was his estimator/project manager/design build manager. I had 1/3 of the employees on my jobs. Some were cool and never cared what the boss did, but most begrudged anything he did there on his "ponderosa"
If he'd build a new wood shed they'd piss and moan about how much money HE's making and how little THEY make. How old their van was while he bought his wife a new car every 2 years.
My response was always: "No one is forcing you to work for him. No one is holding a gun to your head to take that paycheck. If you're mad, leave"

It gets better with age. Not the backstabbing whiney ass snowflakes, but your give-a-shit meter really starts to decline the older you get. Plus, you will start to realize these people will never be happy. Nothing YOU can do different, and nothing you can do to prevent them from being a pain in the ass to you in the situation you are in. Your gut instinct is o make their life miserable...but as you know, they're already there. "bless their little hearts"

Your venting is not in vein though. Been there....
I openly and freely admit to this line of thinking when I was younger. Had a lot to do with being raised comfortable. One of many reasons my son has been presented several chalenges.
Mind you we weren't rich. But something didn't quite click and I begrudged my first employment opportunities. I earned every dollar but no one ever layed it on the table what was required of that next step.....

Age and experiences have gave me that wisdom.

I volunteered with the kindergartners for their 'holiday craft workshop' that's part of their social studies "wants and needs" project. They make little candy cane reindeer and other such crafts and can earn up to 3 pennies for the 30-45 minute session, based on their work habits and performance. Then they will get to spend their pennies buying back stuff to give to family members.

Not all the kids in my group pulled their weight, do they really earn all 3 pennies? What about my kid, who totally rocked it... does he get a bonus when the others don't?

In the real world, we know what the answers to those questions should be. Or maybe I'm too much of a hard ass to expect 5 and 6-year-olds to get a taste of "real world." Either way, we know what the answers are in the classroom... because even the kid who got sent to the office for acting up got his 3 pennies.

Because someone has to make the snowflakes.

Ya should beat him with a sock filled with nickels. Then tell him to keep the change.

I have nothing of value to add to this. People fucking suck.

I can attest, @77GreenMachine is a cheap ass. Outside of that I have nothing to add, counter jocky should just be happy he has a job.

because even the kid who got sent to the office for acting up got his 3 pennies.

My middle child is at Wilmington. Recently she had a life lesson with a group project for finance class. She's a ball buster and hardest driven kid I've ever encountered. Had 3 "partners" that were all complete turds. No one helped her. She made that clear in the presentations too. Despite that, the "group" got a 97 collectively on the project. Had to coach her on how to handle that and not let it eat at her. She took the coaching well. Very proud of her.

These participation trophies have done more damage than good. Not a reflection on Upwards....more of the whole movement

Long rant...

Stupid snowflakes.

Maaannn....I'm totally with you. My blood got boiling just reading this. Sounds like we're a lot alike on the finances (two cheap bastards working to get debt-free (your struggle is now over...fawking Wake Forest masters degree is dragging me behind but hopefully only for a few more months)). I actually saw similar scenarios play out a while back while I was working for my cousin (general contractor in High Point) and he told me this shit was going to happen to me one day and to just be prepared. He basically told me the same people that were out partying, going out and having a good time now while I was sitting home spending my nights and weekends hitting the books would be bitching in a few years about how unfair things were.

This is by no means me bragging or boasting, but I'm about 6 years out of grad school and I can finally start to see shit coming to fruition. What they never saw were those nights I was at home in the damn books or the $1,500/month student loan payments I've been making to pay off the debt accumulated to do what I do now. They chose to bitch when I got a job right out of school making more than they were making after ~10 years at their company (nothing crazy...roughly $50k), but what they didn't realize or see was me working until 2/3/4am some nights (and back in the office at 830am) or working 7 days a week for 3 months straight w/ those hours while they were off by 5pm working 4/5 days a week and able to spend their evenings and weekends w/ their families (all the while getting a good night sleep).

It still pisses me off to no end to hear people bitch about it when they had all the same opportunities, they just chose to make different choices...I guess it is what is is. All I can tell ya is I doubt this will be the last time something like this happens to ya, bud.

what pisses my off the most is going to the big box store and all the handicap spaces are taken.
so me being the nice guy i am park my old ass wore out explorer in a regular spot--get my wheelchair
out and wheel my happy ass into the store. on the way in i see a family of rather large people
in a newer black cadillac whatever them huge things are parking in -- not the handicap spaces
but the lined off space between the parking lot and the drive. give ya 3 guesses what ethnicity
they are and the first two don't count. entitled pricks.
pretty much all my life i have had to deal with people in the business world saying nasty things
to or about me. my dad started our company 62 years ago and he / we as a family worked hard to
get where we are now. yea thru the years i have had my share of new company trucks and cars
and being able to travel a little
but being in management has it's share of headaches with customers bitchin , not paying etc
so a little reward on the back end don't hurt. luckily next year i'm thinkin about retirement as the
third generation is on board to take over the reigns. i guess i'll miss it for a while because one of
my dutys is purchasing the rolling stock for the company. for the last 40 years i have gotten to spec
out the trucks, vans, cars and suvs along with buying the backhoes,trackhoes,trenchers, dumptrucks
and trailers.
hard working white man privileged bastard i guess.

My middle child is at Wilmington. Recently she had a life lesson with a group project for finance class. She's a ball buster and hardest driven kid I've ever encountered. Had 3 "partners" that were all complete turds. No one helped her. She made that clear in the presentations too. Despite that, the "group" got a 97 collectively on the project. Had to coach her on how to handle that and not let it eat at her. She took the coaching well. Very proud of her.

These participation trophies have done more damage than good. Not a reflection on Upwards....more of the whole movement
Tell her she can come work for me after graduation.

This exists everywhere. People who live in the ghetto talk shit about people who aspire to leave the ghetto. People who are content with being on welfare talk shit about people with jobs. People with jobs talk shit about people who have better jobs.

People like me talk shit about people (in my own company) who walk outside past my cubicle window at 9AM, and back past my window at 4PM, also knowing that there's a lunch break in there probably. They are probably software contractors with some sub-40-hour deal, and that makes me angry/jealous because I don't have that deal.

I think it would be nice to make lots more money, but I didn't inherit lots of family money, and I have no desire to become a doctor or lawyer. So I do my job, and realize that I still make more money than many people, even though a large percentage of my friends make significantly more than I do (and less, as well).

Also, there are many people with very little money who have wives that don't work. It's not always a money thing, obviously. Snowflakes should realize that, if snowflake logic was a thing that actually existed.

Entitled people tend to bring everyone around them down. Entitled people without any ambition just do it faster.

Last edited:
i dont give a fvck about anything...... hope this helps

Entitled people tend to bring everyone around them down. Entitled people without any ambition just do it faster.
That is some damn solid stuff right there.

Long rant...

Stupid snowflakes.
That’s complete bs! You get paid for your job fuck everyone else bc they have min education, min work ethic, min desire to not Being On their parents insurance and phone plan... seems like younger generations don’t understand you get out what you put in!!

I should clarify that my GM got his hand slapped too, and is not the problem. My CEO should have been the one to tell snowflake that my wife and home life is not his business, how I handle my finances and what I do with my salary is up to me, and if he wants his salary to go up he should pay attention and apply himself more.

Instead I was told to refrain and try to level the playing field to make him feel better.

Instead I was told to refrain and try to level the playing field to make him feel better.

Oh dear LORD what length I would go to in order to "construct" a SAFE SPACE for this triggered twit to go to when they feel offended. Cardboard walls, police tape, pacifiers.

Back