Rare and obscure engines..who has one?

willness33

Here for the memes
I've always been of a fan of "weird" engines be it hit-and-miss, radials, rotarys, allisons, merlins, mini turbines, you name it. If it turns gasoline into noise and rotational force I'm a fan. Someday I'd like something off the wall to just start and run and be different. Anyone have anything cool to show off? The more different the better. This thread was inspired by the radial compressor in the FB marketplace find thread,

Doubt these are too rare, but it's old and super cool in my opinion. Little 3-horse Briggs I'm working on. Likely doesn't need much, I've just been tinkering on other things (I'm good at starting a project, setting it aside and starting something else, rinse / repeat until I have shit everywhere).

1610475734724.png

1610475757364.png

Last edited:
Doubt these are super rare, but it's old and super cool in my opinion. Little 3-horse Briggs I'm working on. Likely doesn't need much, I've just been tinkering on other things (I'm good at starting a project, setting it aside and starting something else, rinse / repeat until I have shit everywhere).

View attachment 335579

View attachment 335580
Perfect parade machine.

I had a 6.0 ford that ran to 430k..... hear those are pretty rare.... stock head gaskets to boot!
is that what shes up to these days?

While the engine is not rare I do have a 2008 KTM 690 SMC. They weren't super popular...although I see the new 2021 is available...... Anybody know when a KTM dealer is?

I have that exact same one
Have you replaced the tars by chance? Once I get it running, that's my next thing to get but not exactly sure where to start on these ole things.

Have you replaced the tars by chance? Once I get it running, that's my next thing to get but not exactly sure where to start on these ole things.
No, not yet. I need to though. They're dry rotted to hell and back. You might throw a tube in it.

No, not yet. I need to though. They're dry rotted to hell and back. You might throw a tube in it.
Same, thought tubes as well, but I'd imagine mine are beyond tubes.

I have a Boss 429 block, some bare Boss 302 and Boss 429 heads, and some Ford XE denoted (experimental/prototype) intakes and exhaust manifolds. Always thought it would be cool for some day builds...now with bigger and badder parts in the aftermarket, I'm thinking kids and college.

Had a straight 8 in a 51 Cheiftain I had one time...I had never seen one before this, I thought it was pretty cool. Traded it to a guy in SC, he attempted to drive it back after I had explained it wasn’t a good idea as I only had it yard driving worthy, he made it a block before breaking down, I hauled him the rest of the way, but later found out the motor had went caput

Attachments

• 94D9CC32-CD31-40B2-A02A-716D5EA6850D.jpeg
    94D9CC32-CD31-40B2-A02A-716D5EA6850D.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 106
I have a Cummins that doesn't make fuel.

Nothing super interesting to show off, but a good place to discuss my aspiration. Before I die I want to fill in this chart:

(since the table function sux I'm trying to do this with text)

GAS DIESEL
4 x x
5 O x
6 x x
8 x x
10 O O
12 O O

I suppose at this point that means I need to own a Chevy Colorado, Ford Excursion V10, a VW Toureg TDI, some sort of Jaguar, and an Audi R8 TDI to finish it out.

Nothing super interesting to show off, but a good place to discuss my aspiration. Before I die I want to fill in this chart:

(since the table function sux I'm trying to do this with text)

GAS DIESEL
4 x x
5 O x
6 x x
8 x x
10 O O
12 O O

I suppose at this point that means I need to own a Chevy Colorado, Ford Excursion V10, a VW Toureg TDI, some sort of Jaguar, and an Audi R8 TDI to finish it out.
what about 3?

Back