Rare and obscure engines..who has one?

Nothing super interesting to show off, but a good place to discuss my aspiration. Before I die I want to fill in this chart:

(since the table function sux I'm trying to do this with text)

GAS DIESEL
4 x x
5 O x
6 x x
8 x x
10 O O
12 O O

I suppose at this point that means I need to own a Chevy Colorado, Ford Excursion V10, a VW Toureg TDI, some sort of Jaguar, and an Audi R8 TDI to finish it out.
V12 TDI is Euro only though. I guess you'll have to settle for road tractor or marine. (go marine, I want to go fishing)

V12 TDI is Euro only though. I guess you'll have to settle for road tractor or marine. (go marine, I want to go fishing)
You could get the V10 TDI Touareg's in the US from 2004-2009ish though.

Had a straight 8 in a 51 Cheiftain I had one time...I had never seen one before this, I thought it was pretty cool. Traded it to a guy in SC, he attempted to drive it back after I had explained it wasn’t a good idea as I only had it yard driving worthy, he made it a block before breaking down, I hauled him the rest of the way, but later found out the motor had went caput
When I was a teenager, working at a gas station, I had a short race against one of those. Me, 61 Galaxie, 292 V8, Fordamatic. I thought it ran pretty good. Old black guy worked there with a 50[?] Chieftain Str.8, slideamatic. We decided to get up to 30 mph, to give him a better chance to get rolling, & GO. Headed out a 2 lane road, & took off. I had a good jump on him, but then he started closing. Probably about 70 mph., he was tapping my rear bumper! We pulled over & had a good laugh. Then he raised his hood. I asked what are you doing? He had to put the throttle linkage back on the carb. Said it would fall off if he floored it & then let off. True story! :laughing:

have anything cool to show off?
My Brother, in Stanley, still has a couple Hit&Miss engines. He's sold several over the last couple years. Might still have a Maytag washer gasoline engine. A Wizard riding mower, that we can't seem to fine another to compare it too, value wise. He's also got a Comet, Falcon, & 59 Rambler. Picked up an extra Rambler body from "Uncle Willy".

I have a Norton 850 commando....one day I'll mess with it

I'm with ya, I enjoy them both equally. It is fun when you mash the pedal on the Benz though. I do drive the ZJ more though, especially since the heat works, lol. Gotta fix that on the Benz, I think it's just a stuck thermostat though, which is an easy fix, but a $60 part, plus coolant.😬

Honest to goodness (estimated) 100hp Suzuki Samurai engine?
Bored, stroked, cammed, head work, big valves, and a Weber carb.
Looks like any other 1.3 zook motor but it will outrun my lawnmower.

VM Motori 2.8L diesel

is a fancy way of saying diesel Jeep Liberty. Little Italian sailboat auxiliary motor thrown into a 4x4 chassis.

More common over seas than stateside. Getting harder and harder to find over here but still out there if you want one.

The new Chevy 2.8L diesel available in colorados is very similar to these but not quite the same.

Does that have the little arm that hands you the seatbelt?
Yes, though they stopped working not long after I got it, lol. The seats slide up automatically though when you tilt the back forward, then slide back in position. Also has the close-assist for the doors and trunk, which mostly works.😂

I stopped and got a picture of the international 600 and our F-14. They are nasty since they haven't been out to a parade or show all last year but one side of the 600 has the distributor and carb and the other side has the injection pump.
The F-14 isnt anything strange it's just a gas 4cyl but it is the only thing we have that you have to turn by hand to start. Working on all these without messing up the paint is a challenge.
20210115_160328.jpg
20210115_160212.jpg
20210115_160244.jpg

Back