What color bedliner for a rod tube?

• Tan ("sandstorm"!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dark olive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Fabrik8

Overcomplicator
Has anyone used the Rustoleum or Duplicolor Bed Armor rattle-can products for coating accessories?

I have a fishing rod tube that I want to coat because it's cheap/easy, and don't want to put any more effort into it than a rattle can. It's a piece of 6 inch cellcore PVC, and I just want to make it not look like cellcore PVC.
The $500 ARE rod tubes are the same damn thing, a $50 set of conduit carrier caps and a PVC pipe coated with bedliner. So, I'm making a $500 rod tube for about $90 (literally the exact same caps and mounts and everything).

Anyway, has anyone used this stuff, and does it work well?

Also, aesthetic poll, for people who care about such things:

White pickup, black Retrax tonneau, black roof rack on top of the tonneau rails. What's the best looking option: Black bedliner for the rod tube, or olive, or tan....?

I've used the Duplicolor Bed Armor several times (over a couple of years) to coat a cheapo phone case.

Prep was scuffing with 80grit as best as possible (case was heavily "ruggedized"), sprayed down with "plastic safe" electronics cleaner and applied several light coats.
Given it was shoved in/out of a pocket a few 100 times a day, I had to recoat several times each year...

Duplicolor stuff is made at our plant in Greensboro by some hard working North Carolinians

Now you're speaking my language. So does the bedliner work well?

The PVC is made in Charlotte (Charlotte Pipe), and the adhesive I'm using to bond the metal caps to the PVC is HQ'd out of Cary (Lord).

Oh, and most of the rods that will be inside are made in Sanford (Cashion rods). It's pretty rare that things can actually be this local.

Last edited:
I would NOT use cellcore PVC. ESPECIALLY 6" you will see why in 6 months.

Use regular PVC

I couldn't find any 6 inch pressure-rated at the easy local places, plus the cellcore is lower density so it's easier to toss around. It's just going to see occasional use, like on vacation or whatever. It's not going to be on the truck all year, because the rods spend most of their life on a boat.

It sounds like you're saying there's a failure mode here; what's the failure mode? Unsupported length? I'm very curious, I haven't really done anything with cellcore and this isn't a plumbing project either.

Last edited:
Now you're speaking my language. So does the bedliner work well?

The PVC is made in Charlotte (Charlotte Pipe), and the adhesive I'm using to bond the metal caps to the PVC is HQ'd out of Cary (Lord).

Oh, and most of the rods that will be inside are made in Sanford (Cashion rods). It's pretty rare that things can actually be this local.
Never used it myself to be honest. We make so much of it that I know the formula by heart so somebody likes it.

Transtar 4363-f is the best rattle can undercoat ive used. I get it from my friends that own a bodyshop

Back