receiver hitch question?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
To put my worries at ease, I’ll end up replacing this hitch, but wondered what your thoughts are on a couple things:
This is on my 2017 F250 I just bought, and didn’t notice it until yesterday.

1. if I do tow the Jeep on the trailer or in the Tramper before I replace this hitch, will the trailer wander? The hole is wallered out about 1/8” larger than it should be. It’s worse vertically than it is horizontally. And the outside is worse than the inside.
2. The truck came with a 2 1/2” receiver, so I’ll be using a sleeve adapter to get it down to 2” since my WDH I already have is 2”. When I replace, should I go back with a 2 1/2”, or a 2”?

CB19C3A3-F458-4F88-AF30-FEA3541732CC.jpeg
3153277C-A8B4-4C52-BFCE-CD2F1D5CC091.jpeg

jeepinmatt

At least half the people are dumber than the rest
You probably won't notice with the proper size hitch or adapter in there. The pin will only see a load when the hitch tries to slide forwards or backwards. Maybe on accel or decel you might feel/hear a little clunk. Looks like the PO lost the 2" to 2.5" sleeve and just used a 2" hitch in there for many miles. I bet the back bottom of the receiver tube is worn out too. I'll have a 2.5" Weigh Safe adjustable hitch with tongue weight gauge for sale soon if you're interested.

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I'd probably lay some weld around that and grind it back out, honestly.

Jeff B

Thanos was right
Get a couple of tube heavy wall tube and cut a couple of thick washers. put one on each side with the pin or a bolt to line it up and weld the on. I would not replace that I would repair it.

Be sure they disconnect the battery before welding.

redneckjeep87

Landscaper Extroidanaire
I fixed one a year or 2 ago with these....

Worked like a champ. I did remove the hitch to make it easier to weld, but a better welder probably could have welded it in place.
Thats pretty sweet right there.

Like others have said....repair it. No need in replacing the whole hitch

jeepinmatt

At least half the people are dumber than the rest
Get a 7/8" unibit and drill the holes out. Then it should be really cheap to get someone to weld it for you. Don't try to drill it out with a standard 2 flute drill bit. You will hurt yourself or the bit, or both.
If you buy one of those bits and give it to me, I'll weld it for free-fiddy :D

Pennsylvaniaboy

Something not mentioned...this is cause in part to the bent hockey stick looking pins. go with either a straight " farmer pin" or add a hose clamp to the hockey stick to keep the leg from wallowing out the hole.

VortecJeep