receiver hitch question?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
To put my worries at ease, I’ll end up replacing this hitch, but wondered what your thoughts are on a couple things:
This is on my 2017 F250 I just bought, and didn’t notice it until yesterday.

1. if I do tow the Jeep on the trailer or in the Tramper before I replace this hitch, will the trailer wander? The hole is wallered out about 1/8” larger than it should be. It’s worse vertically than it is horizontally. And the outside is worse than the inside.
2. The truck came with a 2 1/2” receiver, so I’ll be using a sleeve adapter to get it down to 2” since my WDH I already have is 2”. When I replace, should I go back with a 2 1/2”, or a 2”?

CB19C3A3-F458-4F88-AF30-FEA3541732CC.jpeg
3153277C-A8B4-4C52-BFCE-CD2F1D5CC091.jpeg

You probably won't notice with the proper size hitch or adapter in there. The pin will only see a load when the hitch tries to slide forwards or backwards. Maybe on accel or decel you might feel/hear a little clunk. Looks like the PO lost the 2" to 2.5" sleeve and just used a 2" hitch in there for many miles. I bet the back bottom of the receiver tube is worn out too. I'll have a 2.5" Weigh Safe adjustable hitch with tongue weight gauge for sale soon if you're interested.

I'd probably lay some weld around that and grind it back out, honestly.

Get a couple of tube heavy wall tube and cut a couple of thick washers. put one on each side with the pin or a bolt to line it up and weld the on. I would not replace that I would repair it.

Be sure they disconnect the battery before welding.

Weld washers

I fixed one a year or 2 ago with these....

Worked like a champ. I did remove the hitch to make it easier to weld, but a better welder probably could have welded it in place.

I fixed one a year or 2 ago with these....

Worked like a champ. I did remove the hitch to make it easier to weld, but a better welder probably could have welded it in place.
Thats pretty sweet right there.

Like others have said....repair it. No need in replacing the whole hitch

Get a 7/8" unibit and drill the holes out. Then it should be really cheap to get someone to weld it for you. Don't try to drill it out with a standard 2 flute drill bit. You will hurt yourself or the bit, or both.
If you buy one of those bits and give it to me, I'll weld it for free-fiddy :D

Something not mentioned...this is cause in part to the bent hockey stick looking pins. go with either a straight " farmer pin" or add a hose clamp to the hockey stick to keep the leg from wallowing out the hole.

Get a 7/8" unibit and drill the holes out. Then it should be really cheap to get someone to weld it for you. Don't try to drill it out with a standard 2 flute drill bit. You will hurt yourself or the bit, or both.
If you buy one of those bits and give it to me, I'll weld it for free-fiddy :D
Thanks! That sounds like a great deal! How far from Concord are you? I’ll get the bit and order the weld washers and let you know when I’ve got them.

Thanks! That sounds like a great deal! How far from Concord are you? I’ll get the bit and order the weld washers and let you know when I’ve got them.
35-50min depending on where in Concord and how fast you drive, haha.

Back