retreads, I took the cheap solution

PAT Ventures

Got some retreading done with these people in Stoneville, NC. http://www.claybrooktires.com/service-description.htm?id=58934&name=tire-retreading 31 10.50 15's were got for $75 each with me supplying the casings. Using their casings would have cost me $90 each.

Installed on 2000 XJ. I used 6oz airsoft bb's to balance. Seems to be working. Most of my off highway is on some local farms. All this rain we been having has made things pretty slick. Tires hook up & clean well in mud. I haven't had a chance to try any thing else yet.

tires1.JPG
tires2.JPG

tires1.JPGtires2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
wow....a tire for under $100. That's a price I can live with. Will definitely be keeping that on the horizon. Did you have many options about tread pattern?

Is it a several day turn around kind of thing, or do they do it while you wait? I don't know jack about retreads.

They have 2 31"s in stock. He said they couple have a couple more in a few days. I have them checking on 33"s right now....

I had some retreads on my Jeep when I bought it. not sure how old they were but there was a good amount of tread on them. After about 1.5 year I had my front drivers side let loose and come apart on me at 65mph. that was fun... :rolleyes:

I had some retreads on my Jeep when I bought it. not sure how old they were but there was a good amount of tread on them. After about 1.5 year I had my front drivers side let loose and come apart on me at 65mph. that was fun... :rolleyes:

I used to work in a service station and saw my fair share of this. That's why I wont run them. The cost / reward just isn't worth it to me. That being said I know people that have run them for years with out issue. I guess it's all in how you use / abuse them.

That's probably the reason that rigs can't run recapped steer tires. I would probably use them if they never saw the road, but there's a much higher probability of a recap flying apart and destroying the side of my truck when used on road. If they're anything like the company that caps for the commercial tire stores around here, they won't cap a casing that's over 7 years old, so keep that in mind.

How do the transition lines on the sidewalls look?

How do the transition lines on the sidewalls look?

You can see where the sidewalls were roughed up. The cap is a clean line. Cap looks to be well vulcanized into the sidewall. No loose edges.

Im curious... Anxiously waiting. Will give me something to do with old bald shitty tires.

The only people I know that can get away with it are trash trucks that run the big 385 or wider front tires and don't go over about 50 mph.

I'm sure they're even more strict on transportation vehicles. Hell, you have to have more safety clearance/endorsements to drive 15+ people than to haul a nuke...just about.

Shoot, as long as it looks like a good vulcanizing job and it has good lines, it'll probably survive fairly well. Keep a check on the air pressure so they don't get hot, that's about all I would worry about. I'm definitely curious to see how many (paved) miles you can get on them too.

There has always been Treadwell, & there is a local retreader in [thinking] Valdese, that does up to 31s, last I checked.

Did you mean Treadwright? Never heard of Treadwell.
That's probably the reason that rigs can't run recapped steer tires
Yes they can, only buses are restricted from using retreads or regrooved tires on the front.

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.75

Is it a several day turn around kind of thing, or do they do it while you wait? I don't know jack about retreads.

At least 1 week turn for non stock and doing customer's casings. Fairly involved process.

........... I'm definitely curious to see how many (paved) miles you can get on them too.

Sales told me about 2 years use out of them. Didn't ask where he got that number. I intend to post back with milage & observations. That is why I posted in tech. The XJ is the only vechile I presently have on the road. Most days I travel less than 10 miles a day. 45 mph is bout max speed. Currently there are roughly 300 miles on tires.

Back