Riding Mower with a twist

Granny

One day at a time...
NOTE: for the record, not a build thread... YET!

Still have no idea what the outcome will be... BUT.....

In true fashion of a "Big Dog" build thread I have decided to follow examples I have seen previously. I can't begin to guess how many "machines" (Jeeps, chassis, frames, etc.) in various states from basket-case up I have seen in photos posted proudly along side numerous $$$$ worth of Goodyears, Nittos, Swampers, beadlocks, etc. Many times it has appeared questionable as to whether or not the "machine" will even run, but the new tires and rims are very real... and pretty!

So-o-o-o... as stated above... "in true fashion" here is my "machine" along with its new rubber (sorry, couldn't find beadlocks that fit). Now I too have no idea, at this time, whether or not this "machine" will even run, but the new tires are very real... and pretty! Also, as mentioned above, I have no idea as to the outcome or if it will turn into a build thread, but at any rate when the weather warms up in the spring I will see where the project leads... and will make an attempt at keeping y'all informed. Bet ya can't wait! :lol::driver:

Moderators: if this needs to be moved I will not be the least bit offended. :)

Big_Dog.jpg

I suspected one of our industrious moderators would move this into the build threads. For the benefit of those who don't already know, here's the rest of the story...

Back around the first part of November, I posted in the "Wanted to Buy" section that I was looking for a fixer-upper mower or tractor on which I could adapt a blade to move and smooth out driveway rock. The response was almost immediate and I was offered far more than I had asked for. Once again, thanks to all who offered!

The first offer, and what I now have was a mower exactly like the one in the picture, but not quite as clean, pretty and unscratched. And, for the record, the tires were horrible and only one would hold air for more than a matter of minutes. There was an actual need for four new tires.

x1.jpg

Shortly after the mower was offered a blade was offered, and I will say it is a very nice blade. I have no doubt it will work perfectly, and it is just the right size for the mower. More on that down the road.

x2.jpg

As a bonus, the mower came with a deck, plus a grass/leaf collection system that I have visions of using next fall when the pecan leaves fall in front of my house and garage.

For the time being this is about it. I may work a little on it from time to time over the winter. However, cold weather and my joints don't play well anymore so most of this project will be waiting for warmer weather in the spring. Hope this all makes sense... at least a little bit. :)

A little update on the mower project..... A few days of nice weather has got me into a project mode. The first thing I want to brag about is the fact that the thing actually runs real well. I dropped the float bowl, sprayed it out with carb cleaner, cleaned up the gas tank and fuel lines, put some good gas with a little bit of Lucas in the tank, cranked it over and it started right up. That made my day! I haven't done anything major yet, mostly just a lot of cleaning. This thing was a greasy/oily mess. Compare these pics with the first one at the top of the thread. I put a can of Gunk to it today and it came out looking pretty good. I made some repairs to the wiring harness and put new pucks in the brake. I also drilled and tapped a hole in the transaxle so I can add lube as needed. I believe the transaxle was dry of lubricant. That's all for now. :)

Big_Dog-4.jpg Big_Dog-5.jpg Big_Dog-6.jpg

Don. you mentioned beadlocks…. Make some measurements and I am sure one of the guys on here with a plasma table can make you some! since it's gonna be a work horse, you could easily incorporate some wheel weights to add on to the beadlocks.

All I can picture is don doing wheelies on this thing!!

Actually, already did one! Replaced the brake pucks and while adjusting got them a bit too tight which made the brake stick. On the test run I couldn't move as the brake was locked so I snapped the pedal back a couple times, the thing released, I was in 5th gear and about jumped over the fence! I most definitely did a wheelie and if it wasn't for the steering wheel I probably would have gone off the back. Those tires don't spin too well... they grab! :eek: :lol:

I keep picturing Forest Gump mowing that football field for free. :lol:

I think Forest Gump was running over little elves while he was mowing. Might be a flashback! :flipoff2:

A short update ..... made repairs on the steering gear assembly today. The old bushing (black) was pretty well worn, but no damage to the steel on that side. The bushing (white) on the other side was another story. It had apparently worked its way out of the hole and the shaft had been wearing metal-to-metal with the frame for quite some time. There was a 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep groove worn in the shaft. I welded the groove closed and turned it back to size. As the hole in the frame was worn oversize and oval it had to be fixed. I decided to bore both ends out to 1-1/8" diameter and made UHMW bushings to replace both of the old ones. It came out very well and the steering gear assembly is now nice and tight. The next step will be looking into tightening up excess play in the front axle mount and the steering linkage.

Big_Dog-7.jpg

Picky picky picky. Don, you just need something to do! :D

You're probably right Rodney... sometimes too picky... just me. :confused: :shaking:

Got the steering completed... all is nice and tight now. I just spent another 5 days in the hospital. I had surgery on Monday and am on light-duty for two weeks so nothing much more than tinkering is on the agenda. My son has been helping me get caught up on the yard work. We will be picking up pecan limbs today, then maybe cut grass this afternoon. Then, I can start to figure out just how to go about mounting the blade. I have looked at enough videos on youtube to know how I DO NOT want to do it. Nothing worth pics right now, but should have some once I get started up again.

You're probably right Rodney... sometimes too picky... just me. :confused: :shaking:

Got the steering completed... all is nice and tight now. I just spent another 5 days in the hospital. I had surgery on Monday and am on light-duty for two weeks so nothing much more than tinkering is on the agenda. My son has been helping me get caught up on the yard work. We will be picking up pecan limbs today, then maybe cut grass this afternoon. Then, I can start to figure out just how to go about mounting the blade. I have looked at enough videos on youtube to know how I DO NOT want to do it. Nothing worth pics right now, but should have some once I get started up again.

mount a deep cycle battery behind the seat, and belt drive an alternator. Then you could use electric trailer jacks to raise/lower and tilt the blade.

mount a deep cycle battery behind the seat, and belt drive an alternator. Then you could use electric trailer jacks to raise/lower and tilt the blade.
Never tried anything like that, just seems like it would be to slow, to get a decent grading. I just do a manual handle, that also lets me feel How the blade is digging /grading. I got back to work on the mount for my blade today. I'll take some pics after I get it done. Pretty sure I got the mount figured out, & i'll have to come up with a new lift handle.

Not looking to do anything that elaborate. Just making it to do a straight push. If that works out well I will be happy. I am hoping to engineer it so with the deck removed the same lever can control the blade. I saw one on youtube that was like that, but the blade and mower were the same brand and made to work that way. Still taking it easy and moving slow. Don't need any complications.

Not looking to do anything that elaborate. Just making it to do a straight push. If that works out well I will be happy. I am hoping to engineer it so with the deck removed the same lever can control the blade. I saw one on youtube that was like that, but the blade and mower were the same brand and made to work that way. Still taking it easy and moving slow. Don't need any complications.
With the correct lever ratio it shouldnt be too hard to achieve.

Didn't know how complex you wanted to go.

Never tried anything like that, just seems like it would be to slow, to get a decent grading. I just do a manual handle, that also lets me feel How the blade is digging /grading. I got back to work on the mount for my blade today. I'll take some pics after I get it done. Pretty sure I got the mount figured out, & i'll have to come up with a new lift handle.
There are plenty of 12v actuators that can get whatever speed you want. I don't think the feel would be any different really than a hydraulic system that you'd find on a full-size tractor.

Didn't know how complex you wanted to go.

My neighbor usually hauls my rock. I have a couple carports where he can't spread the stuff very well. I'm just looking to engineer a small tractor to use for that purpose. That's about it.

I guess I didn't mention it, but I have access to three full-size tractors about any time I need one. All three have front loaders & blades, plus forks and some other goodies.

I finished up my mount today. It may need some fine tuning, but for now, it's a start. Some paint will make it look better! Next is to figure out a lift handle. One picture is part of the original mount I had to cut down, extra parts, & handle I had to take off. I'm Sure glad I bought a HF Chop saw, last year!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_165950362.jpg
    IMG_20200328_165950362.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20200328_165309838.jpg
    IMG_20200328_165309838.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20200328_165328176.jpg
    IMG_20200328_165328176.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20200328_165738038.jpg
    IMG_20200328_165738038.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 210
Back at it a little bit... I made a set of brackets out of some scrap 3/16" plate. As I don't expect to be doing any real hard pushing I believe they will work just fine. Next thing will be to link up the blade. I have a good bit of 1/8" x 1" square tubing laying around so I believe the links will be made from that. More as I get it....

Attachments

• Big_Dog-8.jpg
    Big_Dog-8.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 234
  • Big_Dog-9.jpg
    Big_Dog-9.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 221
  • Big_Dog-10.jpg
    Big_Dog-10.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 221
Delay on the pics. Suffered a minor setback. Out of commission until next week.

Have ya got the beer bug?

All seriousness, hope youre alright.

Back