Rig Towing: Straps vs Chains/Binders

Oh and FWIW...walk through a NASCAR pit...every enclosed hauler I see has straps not chains holding their rigs down...that changed me from a chain to a strap guy.

If money was no object (and it isnt for them) what would they use with a lot more to lose that I have.

You realize a sponsor prob. gave those to them?

Its OK for NASCAR so it must be what I use??? :flipoff2:

I use a mix of chains and straps depending on what I have in the garage or what is easy to find.

However, I always put a strong chain on the back. If I'm ever in an accident I don't want a strap breaking and my rig coming up into my truck. So, I always use a chain. I have friends that have been in an accident where the rig ended up in the bed of the truck when the two straps on the back broke in an accident...

On the front, I use either a good ratchet strap or chain and binder...

You realize a sponsor prob. gave those to them?

Really?
Uhh..HRM
Let me take this opportunity to recommend that if you ARE in the market for tie down straps for your rig a great supplier of them is Stren-Flex. Stren-Flex makes great 100% Made in The USA synthetic ratchet straps, tow straps, slings, tie downs and chokers. (Now available with a spiffy ECORS logo!!!)

So check out STREN-FLEX..for all your strapping needs
http://www.stren-flex.com
[/end cheeky announcer voice]

Seriously though...if straps are so weak why when we set 60,000 lb pieces of equipment do the cranes never use chains? They use straps exclusively.

BTW if you insist on chain...Stren-flex can help you there as well....so call Stren Flex today.
Tell Jim that Ron sent ya and get a discount...(or maybe not)

When I trailered, I used straps. When I bought my hauler, it already had built in chain and binders. I like both, but my set up is super fast to load and go.

If the life cycle and replacement cost of a $10 axle strap is your deciding factor you need a new hobby.

Yes. The $10 axle strap is where I draw the line. Anyone need a good tow rig and trailer? Just realized I can't afford to wheel, I'm taking up crossword puzzles. Should be able to buy a couple of 500 page books with the money I saved on an axle strap.

i like my straps but the ratchets suck looking to get a new set this season for sure might just man up on a set of mac straps with the hook clip ends

I have hauled my rig over 10,000 miles with straps and it hasn't left the trailer yet. One at each corner in my book is sufficient. One will hold it on. The olds of all 4 breaking are slim.

I use cable and J hook's fast, simple, and strong
Not all of us have a roll back! :flipoff2:

I use straps for my Jeep and Chains on my Tractor.

When I strap my jeep it is at 4 coners with axle straps on the front axle and axle straps around the bottom of the shock exterders on the rear. I bought some D rings from TSC and had a friend weld them to some 1/4 inch plate and bolted to the deck of my trailer.

I once rolled a trailer w/ a full sized bronco on it held on w/ a rachet strap on each end. It rolled trailer and all and when they turned the trailer back over they turned it by pulling the bronco still on the trailer. I was amazed.

These days I use 4 straps and 4 axle straps.

Seriously though...if straps are so weak why when we set 60,000 lb pieces of equipment do the cranes never use chains? They use straps exclusively.

At work they took all our chains away and gave us straps several years ago. All straps have a date inspection tag that must be punched when inspected. So far they have done the job just fine and I ended up with plenty of chains at home. LOL
I use straps on the Jeep and straps and chains/binders on the tractor. A friend of mine that's a truck driver said different states have different laws on what can be used as tie downs. I would like to find out that info.

I'd definitely recommend Mac's tie-downs. Honestly I priced out everything I would need from Mac's compared to Tractor Supply and Mac's was cheaper! Check out some of their videos it's pretty self explanatory.

Straps and chains can all be made to sustain the same amount of weight. Thats a poor argument :D

Straps are used for rigging for a few reasons. 1. they are much lighter 2. they show wear and tear easier and is easier to know when they need to be replaced. 3. The date tag is sewn in making it easier to know when its out of date. 4. they stretch and flex easier making lifting and setting a smoother operation 5. soft staps can only be used on certain equipment to not damage it during rigging 6. there are more that I could offer but we'll be here all day...

but, I could make just as many or more arguments against straps for cable or chains. Being in the heavy industrial and rigging industry, we use chains, straps, and cable for rigging :)

race cars are tied down with straps
tractors are tied down with??? chains.... :D

So the question of the day: Do we have race cars or are they tractors ??? :lol: Answer that and you are good!

look at any OTR hauler of heavy equipment. They all use chains. I bet that 60,000lb generator was delivered using chains to bind it down :flipoff2:

I'm on Team "RockCity". Though he didn't really pick a side. :)

I think the point is, either can be effective and there isn't a right or wrong choice if you use them properly.

I'm on the "chains" team :D

you are correct, both are OK so long as you use them correctly. a chain can be used to pull you out of a ditch same as a strap. How you do it depens on if its a chain or strap but both will work...

I took Shawn's advice when I tied the rig down tonight. I like it, less work. Thanks.

As far as chains VS. straps. I worked a carnival for 7 years traveling, setting up & tearing down rides. 90% we used chains. For the last 15 years I have been building road construction equipment. When I load a truck with equipment every trucker I have ever seen with our equipment on his trailer user grade 8 chain & binders. We have some heavy shit, I'll stick with my grade 8 chain...

I am one of the Nascar guys and tie down our race cars every week. We use straps not chains. Of corse straping down a Cup car is way different than the weekend wheeler. We just hook to an opening in the wheel and then striaght to the d-ring. We transport so much stuff everyweek, chains would be way to heavy. It all comes down to personal preference. You cant be to safe!

Back