right of way...

I was leading that group of jeeps that day. It was a very tight spot on the trail and the guys on bikes never slowed down enough for us to get over. One of the first two bikes clipped the mirror on the black Rubicon and then shot up into the woods. I stopped the 3rd guy and said tell your buddies to stay on the trail and if you see a big group to slow down or get over. Then I said they're closing trails bc of people getting off trail. He was very disrespectful to me as he revved his motor and very sarcastically said" what are you some kind of ranger authority or something?" And sped off. We always give right of way if given the proper opportunity to.

When I ride my bike at ure I rarely stop for any body I'm way faster and smaller and Carry much more speed so I just buzz through and most people never even know I was there till after I'm in front

When I ride my bike at ure I rarely stop for any body I'm way faster and smaller and Carry much more speed so I just buzz through and most people never even know I was there till after I'm in front
And what if I decide to make a hard left right before you buzz by me at speed and I didn't see you till you flew over my hood? That was bad decision on your part I guess.

Yes that would be my fault entirely and I would have to make the call based on the safe passing area And my skill level the same thing you would do if riding dirt bikes any where gncc or motocross or just ure it's all the same when passing person trying to overtake is responsible for both parties due to the fact person in front probly has no idea you are there if you where at a race the person in front would be responsible for holding his line but at ure that's not the case so you have to be extra careful now when you have traffic coming from the other direction you have to yield not usual a problem for most dirtbike trails because they are one way but at ure you do need to use caution and show some common sense

I was leading that group of jeeps that day. It was a very tight spot on the trail and the guys on bikes never slowed down enough for us to get over. One of the first two bikes clipped the mirror on the black Rubicon and then shot up into the woods. I stopped the 3rd guy and said tell your buddies to stay on the trail and if you see a big group to slow down or get over. Then I said they're closing trails bc of people getting off trail. He was very disrespectful to me as he revved his motor and very sarcastically said" what are you some kind of ranger authority or something?" And sped off. We always give right of way if given the proper opportunity to.

This doesn't make any sense to me. You say you "always give right of way", but you stopped one of the bikes and told him that he should be moving over to let groups of Jeeps go by?

If a group of bikes or ATVs are behind us we move over. If we meet them in the trail we move over. If they are goin 30 mph down the trail its impossible to move over in time.

If a group of bikes or ATVs are behind us we move over. If we meet them in the trail we move over. If they are goin 30 mph down the trail its impossible to move over in time.

Greg said that one of the guys in your group deliberately moved over to block them from passing, then told them that they should pull over and let the Jeeps go by. Sounds to me like you're not refuting his version of events.

I meant no disrespect to the bike rider, I was just trying to educate him in trail safety. I understand they can get around the trails a lot faster which puts more responsibility on them to be more cautious of their surrounding. Flying down the trail into an oncoming group of 1/2 dozen jeeps on a single vehicle path is a highly irresponsible action.

it was a one lane part of the trail. No one deliberately cut them off. We didn't even see them until they were right on top of us. I hate that he thought that. I, myself told the guy to slow down or move over.

I meant no disrespect to the bike rider, I was just trying to educate him in trail safety.

Its a great thing you did that!
The OP has OBVIOUSLY never drove a Jeep or Buggy before and has no idea how they manuever on the trail.

upload_2014-7-29_16-49-31.jpeg

I posted the beating a dead horse comment because I believed that all that needs to be covered has been covered. This is whats wrong with society today. Most people lack the common sense to make an educated decision in such a matter so they need rules to guide them. Im not suggesting that either the OP or XJWISH lack common sense but this is rediculous. If you feel that you can safely get over and allow someone to pass then do it. If you cant then dont. If the passor or passee( I made that shit up) have a disagreement or issue then solve that shit on the trails not in a public formum on page three that every treehugger in the world can read and use against us off roaders. Is common sense so lost that we resort to asking the Forest Service what we should do? Do we need a fricking hall/trail monitor? And honestly what good does stirring the pot do on an issue like this?

If I see someone coming in the opposite direction I immediately look for a pull off. If I can't find one I wait to see if they are going to pull off. If they don't I make me decision to back up and find a place. When I see dirt bikes/atvs coming from behind or in front of me, I pull off the best I can to let them pass. I don't see why it's such a big deal to let a couple bikes pass. I'm out there to have a good time and they are obviously much faster than me at going through the trails. If I am traveling up hill and someone is coming downhill at me, I make the decision whether where I'm at is a good place to stop, and if I can let them by. I haven't had this problem often as most people seeing a rig coming uphill will pull off and wait, as I do.

I can honestly say that I had not thought anymore about this whole situation until someone told me about this thread today. So with that being said, im going to continue wheeling like I have been for the past 12 yrs with respect to ALL my fellow wheelers and the trails. Tread Lightly guys.

You moved over to your left, which is in my line of travel. I didn't clip your mirror that's load of crap. I got very close to your jeep but only because you kept moving left to slow me down (I assume). I have a full understanding of trail educate trust me, my first trip to UNF was in 1987 and I've logged quite a bit of time there and elsewhere. You'd be hard pressed to find someone that knows me and has ridden with me (jeep/buggy/4wheeler or bike) that would agree with your assessment of my riding. Yes we were riding fast, yes we saw you, treat it like a road and you'll be fine , stay on your side and there isn't a trail in UNF that a bike and jeep can't safely pass each other. Act like a trail nazi, jackass and yes , someone will get hurt . Yes my buddy was disrespectful to you because you waved him down and tried to scold a 43 year old man like a child treating him with no respect. I don't want to even begin to open the cans of worms that will get everyone on here up in arms, but I've got to say it. The jeeps do far more erosion damage and land damage than any dirt bike ever thought about doing, so don't stand behind the "you're going to cause trails to get closed" BS. I ride at Brown Mt. that has been open to bikes for years and there's next to zero erosion problems on the bike only trails...I've watched the walls on dutch john grow by feet every year and guess what? It ain't bikes doing it my friend, be careful in that glass house.

I never heard or saw you coming in time to move over. You assume wrong about us moving in your path to slow you down so I'm sorry that you thought that. I cant ride on the right hand side of the trail when it is a single vehicle opening at that particular spot. I definitely didn't "scold" your friend or blame dirt bikes for the erosion and trail closures. I said "people" in general. I agree with the bigger vehicles causing more erosion. I myself try not to break traction if at all possible and choose not to ride when its wet because that's the worst thing for the trails. Like I said before, I didn't think anything else of this incident after it happened and I'm not quite sure why it was ever brought back up again. Especially since you've been riding since 1987, it looks like you and your 43 yr old friend are the "trail Nazi, jackass" in this situation trying to get something started. And it seems like you guys had more trouble out of the other group (second group in the same day) than the slow jeeps that you blew by. I see a common problem in both instances. You. This is my last reply to this childish thread. You got the rise out of me and others that I "assume" you were trying to get. Have a great day!

Back