Rocker Switch or Toggle Switch?

orange150

Which do you prefer and why?
I've not had a lot of time to work on the Jeep, but I've done a lot of thinking about it!

My plan is to house a select few switches on the dash and hopefully house the rest in the radio location of a Tuffy center console.

Current plan for switched items are:
  • Front aux. lights
  • Rear aux. lights
  • Electric fan override
  • Air compressor
  • Front aux. power (winch)
  • Rear aux. power
I might do in-cab control for the winch, not sure though.
I doubt I will ever have selectable lockers, but those could be potential future switches, and maybe a switched power source in the back of the Jeep? I can't imagine I would ever need anything more than that.

I want a switch that looks like it belongs in a CJ.

upload_2019-4-10_10-41-33.jpeg
25A_HeavyDuty_ToggleSwitch_3Screw_43968_f.png

I've used both. I use the conturas where there's already a bracket or something to mount them. Toggles are easier to mount (drill a hole), and will look more appropriate in a CJ, IMHO. I'd say the conturas are less likely to be bumped, but the fact of the matter is that if you bump them, they're going to switch. You might bump a toggle, but they have enough of a positive engagement to keep them from flipping inadvertently.

I prefer the contura rockers, plus they are sealed and water resistant I believe. A regular metal toggle isn't without a rubber boot.

The Carling switches do take a little more effort to install since you can't drill a square hole LOL. Though they do make panels for them.

I just bought two from otrattw.net for the fuel pump and oil cooler fan in my Fairlane. They were Carling contura v switches, and they came with backlit rockers where the actual symbol lights up instead of the blue window like the one above, and the symbols are laser etched instead of painted so they don't rub off.

I prefer toggle switches for ease of mounting. The rocker switches are nice with the labeling. If you’re mounting rocker switches into plastic, I’ve seen people heat a razor blade with a torch and just melt/cut a perfectly square hole nice and neat.

Also, I highly recommend in-cab winch control. It’s so nice to have it ready to go at the flip of a switch and not fool with a remote, however I always leave the remote option functioning for back up and to operate the winch outside the Jeep if needed.

I like toggles personally. Ease of install and i like the look.

Except if you have children, or know anyone that does.

The first things kids do when they get in is mash all the buttons.

I wired my winch through a Napa st402 solenoid, looks like a Ford starter solenoid but it's rated for continuous duty. I turn it on with a separate switch. I have used it to kill the power when my winch stuck on once, plus the big battery cables are dead until it's armed. You could also use a separate on switch that switched power to the in/out toggle. Obviously don't put them side by side if kids are a concern.

I also put a 4 pin round style trailer connector on my winch. I then made an extension cord in to the dash where I mounted another one, then put a matching male end on my winch remote. Now I leave the extension plugged in, and plug the remote inside the cab. It's velcroed to my console, I can hold it in my shifter hand and steer with the other while driving out. If kids were a problem it can unplugged and put in the console until needed. Or if I need to winch from outside or let someone else use it from outside I unplug the extension and use the remote as originally intended.

@shawn I have mine wired up with a separate toggle switch and cover the kills the power, the winch does not work unless that switch is on. Not 100% child proof added security.

@shawn I have mine wired up with a separate toggle switch and cover the kills the power, the winch does not work unless that switch is on. Not 100% child proof added security.

You saw where I said they mash ALL the buttons, right? That big red safety cover might as well have flashing neon lights on it.

You saw where I said they mash ALL the buttons, right? That big red safety cover might as well have flashing neon lights on it.

I saw it. I also know you’d argue with me if the power button was finger print activated with an eye scanner. I said added security, not 100%.

Yea. My kids mash all the buttons, pull all the levers, pull the poor AMC parts bin turn signal stalk front and back instead of up and down.

That being said I'm still planning on putting my front and rear aux. power through continuous duty solenoids instead of manual switch I have now. Nothing wrong with it, just have to pop the hood to turn it on.

So I am gonna chime in on the kids thing. Mine don't touch a thing in the jeep, unless they ask, they have had the fear of life put in them by saying it may make the jeep blow up :flipoff2:

On the winch thing, why not just get a wireless remote?

My buggy has a boat trim switch wired up very simple mounts anywhere and comes with the cord and is waterproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For kid proof winch control, use an on/off key switch. @shawn problem solved simply. Besides, why let kids play in a vehicle they can knock out of gear and release the parking brake on a hill?

I'm a big fan of rocker switches for looks. However toggles are cheap and easy to mount. I'm not a big fan of mounted switches for in cab winch control due to the fact of they are where you put them. I moved the winch remote plugin to the center console on my rig that way I still have in cab controls but the remote still reaches out of the jeep for respooling.

I use Bocatech switches for the boats all the time. Marine grade stainless and water proof. Different types of switches with internal breakers even programable. Never thought about using these in the off road toys but it might work pretty well. Google 'em

For kid proof winch control, use an on/off key switch. @shawn problem solved simply. Besides, why let kids play in a vehicle they can knock out of gear and release the parking brake on a hill?

Because other people don't watch their kids, and think it's totally fine to let their kids climb around in other people's vehicles.

My kids know better than to touch the trim.

I use Bocatech switches for the boats all the time. Marine grade stainless and water proof. Different types of switches with internal breakers even programable. Never thought about using these in the off road toys but it might work pretty well. Google 'em
I’ve seen those switches before. I do like them but don’t feel they fit the feel of a CJ

That's true, I don't have any in my cj either

At $40-65 each, no friggin way I would use them. That’s Spod money.

You could do an arduino controller and relay board with a touch screen control for less, but still wouldn’t look right in a Cj.

Back