Scenic Drives/Mountain Roads

My vote would be the parkway as you mentioned. But I would skip the restaurants and take a pic-nic lunch. If you have one of those 12v coolers that also double as a warmer, I would suggest just getting some chicken and fixin's from KFC or BoJangles. A cooler for cold drinks and go. Some of my favorite places right off the park way would be Linville Caverns, and Linville falls. Lots of historical sights and attractions along the way. Will be easy to fill a day. Take the camera, a blanket and don't take a watch.

http://www.romanticasheville.com/linville_gorge.htm

It`s a gravel road but you can still take the car with absolutely no problems (we took the g-friend`s Honda Accord)

Definitely see Wiseman`s View. It`s just a short walk from parking area. Great place for that pic-nic.

I have spent alot of time in the N.C. mountains, and i know alot of good scenic stops and good resturaunts. Also, my truck still works and i've got 4 wheel drive. So just dont worry about the hassle of planning the trip- just take the day off, and i will take her for you.
_______
|:):driver:|
|o||||||o|
-----------
||---o-||

I have spent alot of time in the N.C. mountains, and i know alot of good scenic stops and good resturaunts. Also, my truck still works and i've got 4 wheel drive. So just dont worry about the hassle of planning the trip.
_______
|:):driver:|
|o||||||o|
-----------
||---o-||

Upnover,
I like the Bojangles idea but I don't have a warmer. Might have to suffice with cold sandwiches.

Last edited:
drive the parkway

go to the linn cove viaduct and take the (very) short trail under it. It's nothign amazing but it's just cool to see how innovative that bridge really is.

go to shops on the parkway if she's into shopping

park and walk around uptown Blowing Rock...check out the park and the little shops.

leave blowing rock and hit 21 and take that up to Linville Falls....its a VERY easy hike with some good views. If you want to take a little more harsh hike...do the Gorge hike up the big rocks to the bottom of the falls.

woodlands is good food, but you'll be having a VERY long wait on a saturday night. it's good, but not worth the wait. i've eaten there since before i could walk and i just skip it everytime i go now.

the blowing rock, itself, is something i've never been too....and i, literally, grew up spending weekends in blowing rock (parents are ex-hippies that went to app...sigh) so no input on it

Nice thread resurrect. Makes me want to go drive around in the mountains.

Spent the day up in Va. today....dropped off a trailer in Mt. Airy, and hopped on the parkway for a run to Roanoke. Two bears, three turkey, and maybe a dozen deer total. Good day.

Drove right by me

Matt

You didn't wave.

The Blue Ridge Parkway from Cherokee to Boone is a nice day trip with a lot to see and do along the way. Another nice ride is from Haywood county on 209 through Spring Creek and Hot Springs then on to Asheville. Also pretty much any back road in WNC. If you have a Florida tag anything east of Old Fort on I40 is good with me.

Floridiots were abundant in the grandfather area today:kaioken: Just because the road is on an incline doesn't mean you need to do 20mph below the speed limit, BOTH WAYS:poop:

I felt like speed racer today on hwy181 and didn't even have to break the speed limit to do so.

Took 181 out of Morganton to FS1283 to lake James today with a hike in between. Great day outside!

Back