Serious Business

ponykilr

Today I overdid it.

I knew I was and I kept going even though I knew I had had a heat injury that (the Dr. said was a stroke but he could not confirm) 2 years ago that makes me susceptible to it again.

I drank 2 gallons of water with electrolytes added and took some rest breaks.

When I went to the landfill I could not walk due to cramping. I was finally able to get stuff off of the trailer while tears streamed down from hurting so bad.... and PK don't cry from pain...

I got home and left equipment on the trailer and trailer hooked to truck, which I never do but I could barely move. I took a shower, Angie made me a quick supper and I took some Gabapentin and a zanaflex with some more salt, vinegar and some epsom salt (magnesium) along with 4 Potassium Citrate pills.

I went to my man cave and stared at the tablet as it became more and more.... I started being confused. The room was sort of moving and I had spots in my vision.

I got up with great difficulty and walked down the hall bumping into each side all the way down. Things were very surreal and as I crossed into the kitchen I put my hands out and told Angie I needed help. She jumped up and just about the time she touched me I.... don't remember anything but coming to on the floor.

My heart was flying, about to beat out of my chest.

She was talking but I couldn't respond. I was cramping all over down to fingers and toes and it was agony. After about 10 minutes she was able to sit me up. I drank more epsom salt water and started drinking apple juice to get some sugar in me.

I was still very confused, my brain was not working correctly. I walked zigzagging style to the bed but only stayed there a few minutes before cramps drove me to my feet.

After a few more episodes of trying to get in bed I guess the salts and juice started working. I slept about an hour.

I woke up with mild cramping but not terrible. I took some vinegar with mother and a tablespoon of yellow mustard.

I walked the floor sort of staggering but not nearly as bad and went back to bed.

I woke up around 2 I guess and decided to check in here.

I think I was very close to stroking out. Angie wanted to call 911 but I wouldn't let her.

Heat can kill. I know this. I was stupid and let finishing a job take precedence over my health. I won't do that again, I swear it.

This was very eye opening. I have never been so confused and mentally out of it, my brain was about to say screw it. It scared me, I prayed in my state as best I could to be sure I was saved. Told the Lord that I believe he died for me and even with all my failing He knew my heart.

I thought I was going to die...at least for a little while.

I have learned my lesson (again but for real this go around) and work is not going to kill me.

Y'all be careful. - PK

Heat stroke is the most serious form of heat injury and is considered a medical emergency. If you suspect that someone has heat stroke -- also known as sunstroke -- call 911 immediately and give first aid until paramedics arrive.

Heat stroke can kill or cause damage to the brain and other internal organs. Although heat stroke mainly affects people over age 50, it also takes a toll on healthy young athletes.

Heat stroke often occurs as a progression from milder heat-related illnesses such as heat cramps, heat syncope (fainting), and heat exhaustion. But it can strike even if you have no previous signs of heat injury.

Heat stroke results from prolonged exposure to high temperatures -- usually in combination with dehydration -- which leads to failure of the body's temperature control system. The medical definition of heat stroke is a core body temperature greater than 104 degrees Fahrenheit, with complications involving the central nervous system that occur after exposure to high temperatures. Other common symptoms include nausea, seizures, confusion, disorientation, and sometimes loss of consciousness or coma.

I work outside every day. Heat will kill you. Respect it no matter what. There is heat stress, heat exhaustion, and heat stroke. You can combat them by being smart and respecting the signs. All you have to do during heat stress is to stop and get your body temps down until you feel better, then you can start again. Once you get to exhaustion, it's time to pack it up and go home or at least take a long break in the AC and drink fluids.
Glad you're okay, respect the heat or it will kill you.

I am glad your ok. Your pretty dang knowledgeble about what to put back in. The older I get the more or less I cannot tolerate long hard goes in the heat. Last time I got real yucky was running a chainsaw. Seems to take way longer to get over it as well.

Scary moments for sure.

Well I'm 48, I am not a spring chicken anymore. I used to be able to take incredible stress innthe heat but I just am going to have to accept that I can no longer ignore the signs.

Working outside is something I love. Be a shame if it killed me.

Well I'm 48, I am not a spring chicken anymore. I used to be able to take incredible stress innthe heat but I just am going to have to accept that I can no longer ignore the signs.

Working outside is something I love. Be a shame if it killed me.

I was 19 and as fit as I've ever been when I had a heat stroke. Blazing sun,heat, humidity, dehydration(dumb) and hard work kicked my ass. I had been sweating and feeling hot for hours but then I quit sweating and did not feel hot anymore. My co-worker could see it in my face and maybe my actions/speech and told me to get some water and sit down,I scoffed at him that "I was fine". He finally grabbed me by the arm and sternly told me again to take a break and go sit in the shade. I got some water and walked to a shade tree 20 yrds away. I got tunnel vision and collapsed/passed out before I got to the tree. I woke up minutes later w him pouring water and a wet towel on me. I felt like I had been hit by a truck, every muscle in my body was cramped and sore and my head felt like it would explode. It took several weeks for me to fully recover and be able to work all day in the heat again. I'm glad you are OK and take it easy for a while in the heat. If it's anything like my episode you will get weak and tired easily if you're working in the heat for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
That sucks I have guys overheat working with me regularly even young guys so your not alone! Situations like that tho are ER critical imo, glad your ok!

I’ve watched people go down hard for heat in the military. One of my best friends nearly died. He went down during a long movement carrying a lot of weight. He went unconscious. He told me he woke up at some point in the hospital butt naked with bags of of ice all around him. It was pretty scary. He went down 2 more times during his career. He’s got to be careful doing anything outside for extended periods now days.

I remember training up in uwharrie about 15 years ago and this young support kid went down. I was in killer shape at that time so I scooped him up and ran about a mile back with that kid over my shoulder to a creek we’d crossed. Stripped him down and threw his ass in the creek. Then I hauled him to a spot to medevac him.

Heat ain’t no joke. It will kill you if you don’t take precautions and listen to your body.

And once you have hit that limit hard it seems like it takes less the next time. Is this true?

I equate alot of it to being older. I had several brushes with the heat in my younger years.....football summer camp, hay field more then a few times in the same season, and incidences now and then. I usually hit dehydration, cramp, and get loopy......the worst I tried to rehydrate and did nothing but puke.
Now, like I said earlier I realize it to a degree but it will kick my Ass for several days. Was really bad when I did summer harescrambles.

I really think it's unique to individuals and metabolism. My sugar levels seem to hit bottom at about the same time.

But I haven't experienced anything like being plum passed out yet....I don't want too.

Angie wanted to call 911 but I wouldn't let her.

Usually, when the people around you (outside of the bubble you are in) want to call 911, it's probably a good idea. At least here, EMS doesn't charge anything to come check you out.

Looking back, I should have told her to call. All they would have done at the ER would have been give me IV fluids but it would probably have helped me get well quicker.

Still cramping a little. Slight headache. Resting on my 10' couch in the mancave.... daytime TV sucks.

Looking back, I should have told her to call. All they would have done at the ER would have been give me IV fluids but it would probably have helped me get well quicker.

Still cramping a little. Slight headache. Resting on my 10' couch in the mancave.... daytime TV sucks.
They’d have given you the old ass thermometer as well to check your core temperature.

They’d have given you the old ass thermometer as well to check your core temperature.
Which brings us to:

A bigshot business man had to spend a couple of days in the hospital. Whilst there, he was a royal pain to the nurses because he bossed them around just like he did his employees. None of the hospital staff wanted to have anything to do with him.
The head nurse was the only one who could stand up to him. She walked into his room and announced, “I have to take your temperature.”

After complaining for several minutes, he finally settled down, crossed his arms and opened his mouth.”No, I’m sorry”, the nurse stated, “but for this reading, I can’t use an oral thermometer.”

This started another round of complaining, but eventually he rolled over and bared his behind.

After feeling the nurse insert the thermometer, he heard her announce, “I have to get something. Now you stay JUST LIKE THAT until I get back!”

She leaves the door to his room open on her way out. He curses under his breath as he hears people walking past his door, laughing. After almost an hour, the man’s doctor comes into the room.

“What’s going on here?” asked the doctor.
Angrily, the man answers, “What’s the matter, Doc? Haven’t you ever seen someone having their temperature taken before?”

After a pause, the doctor replies, “Yes, but never with a daffodil!”

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PK, I'm glad your better, & Hope you know Better Now! That was So close, & had it been me, "I" would have been calling 911. Some of your "self treatment", seems questionable, but you know the things better than I. Back in the early Spring, I had been through several sicknesses. Lucky for me, I went 1 more time for a follow-up with my Doctor. They always check my kidney function, as mine stays low. I Thought, I had stayed Hydrated! They called back with test result & told me to get to the ER, for some IV s. I waited till the next morning, & as I got dressed, Something just didn't feel right. I only had 3/4 mile to drive to the ER, but as I hit the Road, I noticed my eyes weren't right. { short story} Wobbled into the ER, ready to pass out! Medically, I was in Kidney Failure. Spent 4 days in Hospital, getting my Fluid levels back right!
It's things like these that you Can't feel, until your in trouble! Take Care!

I worked and welded in the sun all day today. Drank 96 ounces of pure water and one large Gatorade. I had to stop a few times just to cool down. Toward the end I was plum yucky. I ate high quality snacks the entire time. I'm already cramping some and beat.

Powerbar, kind bar With the nuts and Carmel. Started with a livermush and egg on toast. Now feeding my pie hole with a homemade hamburger, 3/4 box of macaroni, 3 homemade rice crispy treats with peanut butter drops in them, few beers, and I think a ice cream cone.

And this is normal. 42 and don't put on weight.

I think my metabolism is as much a factor as the heat.

Yeah I feel like that old guy in The Wedding Singer"... .

"i used to be much stronger"

I was a bull of a man 20 years ago. Laughed at 100* humid days and just fkat out had crazy endurance.

This has been a wake up.

The one 2 years ago wasn't as severe, didn't stroke out but was in bad shape. Dr. told me then that I would be more susceptible to heat related injuries.

I've always been the hardest working guy in the room (on the job) but I HAVE TO get it through my head that no work I agree to can happen in that kind of weather. I just need to work mornings and then go home and come back out later like 5 if needed.

Hard to explain, but laying there, unable to speak with my wife's desperate face looking down at me....well it terrified me. Not for myself, for her.

I have some things I'm pondering. My sister has been bugging me about some business opportunities and I may just say screw the outside... in summer anyway.

Yeah I feel like that old guy in The Wedding Singer"... .

"i used to be much stronger"

I was a bull of a man 20 years ago. Laughed at 100* humid days and just fkat out had crazy endurance.

This has been a wake up.

The one 2 years ago wasn't as severe, didn't stroke out but was in bad shape. Dr. told me then that I would be more susceptible to heat related injuries.

I've always been the hardest working guy in the room (on the job) but I HAVE TO get it through my head that no work I agree to can happen in that kind of weather. I just need to work mornings and then go home and come back out later like 5 if needed.

Hard to explain, but laying there, unable to speak with my wife's desperate face looking down at me....well it terrified me. Not for myself, for her.

I have some things I'm pondering. My sister has been bugging me about some business opportunities and I may just say screw the outside... in summer anyway.

I had to quit surveying after almost 30 yrs because I could not stand 5 days in a row w 100* heat indexes. 2 days off, resting inside in the AC was not enough to recover and I was still tired/wore out on monday. That along with working by myself w a robot instrument meant there was nobody to help or save me If the heat got me. I almost drowned surveying/verifying the bottom of a new detention pond w 6" of water in it. I dropped a stake and got dizzy when I bent over to pick it up. After I cleared my head I realized if I had passed out/ fell face first in the pond I might have drowned and nobody would know what happened until I did not come home from work and my wife called my boss. I returned to the office early that day and the boss wondered why, as he sat in the AC'd office playing computer games. I told him what happened and that I needed a helper, he said no and I gave him my 2 week notice. I am moonlighting in the field 1 day a week now and the hot days still get to me sometimes, looking forward to the fall/winter temps!

Last edited:
A doc told me at one of my check ups a few years ago that you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 you should be drinking 100 ounces of water a day. You’re supposed to add to that if you’re doing strenuous activity, drinking coffee or soda, or it’s extremely hot outside. I can’t tell you the last time I drank half of my body weight in water. Maybe beer, but not water.

A doc told me at one of my check ups a few years ago that you should be drinking half of your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 200 you should be drinking 100 ounces of water a day. You’re supposed to add to that if you’re doing strenuous activity, drinking coffee or soda, or it’s extremely hot outside. I can’t tell you the last time I drank half of my body weight in water. Maybe beer, but not water.
I guess I need to water up!

I guess I need to water up!
I work hvac , and I'm not a spring chicken anymore either , these really hot and humid days still get to me , I drink a bunch of water , and an occasional Gatorade if I get peaked...drink water till you gotta pee if in doubt of if you've drunk enough ...good rule of thumb

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Id say yes. Ive got heatstroke and some really bad sunburns. both seem to happen easier now and i have to watch myself when we are at the lake.
FB_IMG_1531061513776.jpg

Back