Shade Tree J10 Build

Update: the correct output shaft for the transmission is on the way! I guess I am going to give replacing the shaft a go!
Hopefully I don’t screw up a perfectly good TH350.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sweat it. It's really a piece of cake. Like I said, just keep all your parts clean and in the same order which they came out (clutches and steels, that is). Unless you are planning to put new ones in, then that won't matter. Take some pics of orientation of things, or where some snap rings come out, etc. But it really will be easy.

Mounted the headers onto the 350 tonight.

Hopefully the output will be in by this weekend, so Monday morning I can tear into that TH350 and exchange them.

Here are some of the parts I’ve got in:

fd0d85a2bab67174be331ddd5494871c.jpg

The engine cradle may have to be adjusted if it doesn’t sit high enough in the frame. The 15 gallon cell is going into the bed of the truck. I got it from speedway. Hopefully, it will sit high enough mounted directly into the frame. If not, I’ll probably make some miter joints with gussets to push it up.

Also got a generic trans mount, and here are the basic motor mounts that came with the cradle.

f9c81d4cedf41a9255f40a070c5b6bae.jpg

Lastly, I got a transmission cooler. I’m planning on running it in front of the radiator.

d438817dd12459e310a83e637fbaa4c7.jpg

Do yourself a favor and either get a better set of motor mounts or chain/cable the driver side down to the frame/crossmember. Those mounts don't have a backup catch if the rubber separates and you can tear some stuff up quick if you are running a mechanical fan or have any tight clearances.

Do yourself a favor and either get a better set of motor mounts or chain/cable the driver side down to the frame/crossmember. Those mounts don't have a backup catch if the rubber separates and you can tear some stuff up quick if you are running a mechanical fan or have any tight clearances.

Planning to run a chain/ cable for now. Might make a new set of mounts in the future.

Was this for sale a while back? Looks familiar and I remember wanting it real bad!

It was up for sale about a year ago, in the end we decided to keep it.

3d4af67cde80d750ea0973c08ca4d5ae.jpg

Changing out the output has went smooth so far. In the picture is the old output beside the new output.

Clutches look good. No burn marks. I’m planning just to put it back together as is.

Trans is mostly rebuilt... a couple of holes stripped when installing the pump again.. :mad:

Helicoils to save the day.

90eeb7d8d4204e1d1f44de67aec4c0e0.jpg
c3952fbfb959063328a94b3cc36425ab.jpg

Finished product! Everything went back just as it come out. Had to put two helicoils in the holes that hold the pump on but other than that no issues, clutches looked decent, and everything fit back together.

06d775e1eed9a940ef2396c7afc950c0.jpg
d931678f8a4f7fd45b605716c05a1295.jpg

The 258 is out. The only thing we are waiting on is needle bearings for our 208. And we should be ready to put the motor in

Last edited:
g1510139015918509828.jpg

Nice! I'm digging the bling on the back of that trans, too. I'm loving this truck.

Over all a decent amount was accomplished today. The swap isn't moving along as quickly as I hoped, but I think the engine will be mounted this weekend. Complications with that shaft and the t-case have been holding us back a little on time. UPS also decided to delay the delivery of the needle bearing we needed for the t-case due to inclimate weather (a few snowflakes). :confused:

This build turned from shade tree to driveway really quick. The engine and transmission got mated and mounted. We found that the original cross member worked well bolted into a different location. The holes were already in a good spot as this truck came with quite a few engine and transmission options.

First the original motor mounts were removed. For some odd reason they were fastened in 2 ways, bolted through the frame and welded on top. We mounted the transmission to the engine, bolted the tq-converter to the flywheel and prepared to place it in the truck. Locktite was used adequately.

DAB87C19-22B0-4490-8BCF-3DE5BC04F8E6_zpsjjfh1dc4.jpg

We placed the engine in to see where the motor mounts would be located and decided the best position for the cross-member.

2EE0CD89-5873-46D7-83C5-492D8088B56F_zps9rlzgvwu.jpg

3CF766CF-A628-483A-91DF-8F412863CF37_zpspyv4m2nt.jpg

There are 2 sets of holes in the frame. We moved the cross-member back to the second set of mounting holes and it put the engine mounts in the perfect spot. Hopefully this helps anyone looking to do a similar swap...:usa:

33A3E1F3-4D32-4B9F-98F4-A001004649BC_zpsuwipiw6f.jpg

After getting the basic measurements we cut the cross-member to fit just inside of the frame. It is a tight fit.

6C6FE95E-511C-4F84-91B0-F2E338EAE8A1_zpszecxfgno.jpg

And sat the motor into place!

513B631C-F311-4446-935F-47E336723AE4_zpsk6zdaeia.jpg

Then burnt it in. After some prep to the surfaces obviously.

7DB1AB86-4607-4890-A0C3-77F8B529F029_zpsrv6gvewm.jpg

The motor is in and we made pretty decent time today. I started the day with the headers on the motor but they didn't agree with the driveshaft or the fire wall. The solution was shorty headers, and they are on the way. The exhaust plan is two into one and a turn down past the cab. The next step is accessorizing the motor with the alt, starter, PS pump, radiator, and a carb to make it run. Oh yeah, and the couple of wires and grounds and stuff.

I am considering gusseting the mounts on the bottom and sides where the tube meets the frame. not sure if it is necessary, but can't be too cautious. I will have safety chains/wires in place for if, I mean, when the rubber motor mounts break..

Anyone know of a Chevy radiator that fits in a FSJ with stock mounts?

Looking to have it done for the shakedown, first run of the year at URE!!

Last edited:
This is looking like an awesome project. So glad it's all working out despite some minor difficulties.

I'd definitely gusset the engine cradle to the frame. Probably a tad of overkill, but I prefer overkill to underkill...lol Unfortunately I can't help on the radiator question. Only ones I found on a quick search are some $400+ options from Novak. I'd almost have to be certain that there's a way to fit a k10 radiator in there. Otherwise, you could measure the core of the stock radiator and get a universal one from Speedway Motors that's the same size, and make some brackets. Or, have the inlet/outlet moved on the stock one to the correct locations.

This is looking like an awesome project. So glad it's all working out despite some minor difficulties.

I'd definitely gusset the engine cradle to the frame. Probably a tad of overkill, but I prefer overkill to underkill...lol Unfortunately I can't help on the radiator question. Only ones I found on a quick search are some $400+ options from Novak. I'd almost have to be certain that there's a way to fit a k10 radiator in there. Otherwise, you could measure the core of the stock radiator and get a universal one from Speedway Motors that's the same size, and make some brackets. Or, have the inlet/outlet moved on the stock one to the correct locations.

Ebay has an assortment of differently sized aluminum radiators. I'll probably get one of these and have some mounts welded on to it to fit what I need.

Added accessories...

aa711e1f502edfe04e37d52862423271.jpg

1fd37f53a63ff6affe9182e180d6a35d.jpg

6cd33a326786518b9cead7254354e5d6.jpg

The PS pump and the Alt are from the 258. The alternator has the same dimensions on the 2 bolt holes as the Chevy alt. This makes wiring the alt much easier as we are able to use the stock regulator/ plugs. The mount is interesting, I grabbed it off eBay.

The PS pump is a signaw pump which is very common and came on both motors. Even the pulleys lined up so we are off to grab some belts.

Next up: wiring

Last edited:
That's the "outside the box" thinking I love to see!
If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. Albemarle isn't that far from me. The Esab and I do love a good road trip.

That's the "outside the box" thinking I love to see!
If you need a hand with anything, give me a shout. Albemarle isn't that far from me. The Esab and I do love a good road trip.

May take you up on the offer sometime! It's always good to have another hand, and when it comes to tube bending I lack in expertise so any and all knowledge you may have on that subject would be greatly appreciated.

That was either thinking "outside of the box" or thinking "budget minded" (cheap). Either way it got the job done while saving a few more dollars to be spent on tires (or something)!

May take you up on the offer sometime! It's always good to have another hand, and when it comes to tube bending I lack in expertise so any and all knowledge you may have on that subject would be greatly appreciated
I know enough to get me by.

Psh... only enough to be the envy of quite a number of people. Myself included. Just saying. :beer:

You beat me to it!

Throwback: I snapped a picture of the two outputs but never posted it.

1D51F38C-C29D-4AC3-9377-9FB887C56A99_zpsp8actlwg.jpg

The adapter output is slightly longer, I think I could have avoided swapping them by running a shorter adapter and swapping the AMC input in the 208 to a Chevy, but that is theory and should be taken as a grain of sand.

In the end, I already have the adapter and I learned a lot about rebuilding the turbo 350!

Enough on that subject!

More goodies in the mail (Shorty headers and exhaust stuff). Maybe this thing will be running this weekend....

Back