Shelving for Garage / shop, etc.

SHINTON

Moving into the "in between" home finally and will start organizing the basement / garage pretty soon! I have been looking at those 5 tier plastic shelving units at Lowes, they are say $40 each, but just keep hesitating because that price point seems high?

I searched on here to see what threads existed on this topic, found some about the L brackets and some other folks that had full on industrial level rack systems.

So I wanted to gather the thoughts here on build your own with 2x4s compared to buying plastic shelving? I have to think that for the same $40 I could buy a STACK of 2x4s?!

Of course one factor is 'time' and tools, I have the tools, time not so much but figure I could bust out something on a Sunday afternoon since football season is over for my team!?

Thought I would post up a few pictures I found on the interweb. Thinking I like the 2x4 concept, I do NOT want to attach to the walls (concrete block, freshly sealed) so free standing.

What say ye!? Plastic / fast, $40 a pop or build your own.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-...r-Plastic-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/50436504

6307e3fe68d2d574a1e85c1324d0b477.jpg
Garage-Storage-Shelves-DIY.jpg

Attachments

• Garage-Storage-Shelves-DIY.jpg
    Garage-Storage-Shelves-DIY.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 148
1x4 shelves.jpg
Thinner (cheaper) version with 1x4s instead, less load capacity, but fine for plastic bins and such I suspect?

Just my opinion...where the cost comes in is the plywood not the 2x4.
You are going to have ~$20/sheet in the plywood so your first pic is probably $40 in materials.

Now the wood ones are a hell of a lot beefier than the plastic ones. They also dont disassemble for moving.

I think money is a wash, whichever you like better

These are a nice in between:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/edsal-72-i...Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/1000525

Slightly more expensive but disassmeble for moving..Ive got a few that are 15 years old and have been abused

Have you looked on Craigslist? You might can find something better for the same price. Personally I prefer the wood shelves. And the 5/4" decking boards will be more than strong enough, I mean, they are made for fat people to stand on at a 16" span.

I love these shelves. They will travel with me when I move. Little on the pricey side but they are adjustable and hold 2k lbs per shelf.

Got them used at a place in Charlotte. Stein something

Attachments

• 5E01BC00-B6C1-4B54-8A45-51C4967D74AA.jpeg
    5E01BC00-B6C1-4B54-8A45-51C4967D74AA.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 239
I like the wood ones. I built some shelves years ago for my garage out of 2x4s and plywood and they hang on the wall. You could easily design them the shelves to hang on the wall permanently later on at your final house if you want. Plywood isn’t too expensive. Build the shelves 8’ long x 2’ wide and with a standard sheet of plywood, you get 8’ shelves with no waste. And your 2x4s have little to no waste if you buy 8’ boards. A sheet of 7/16” OSB is like $13.

This past weekend Lowe’s had some of the quick assembly metal shelving. I think each shelf is rated at about 500lbs or so. They were on sale for about $60 and take 5 minutes to assemble. They would work well for you I think. I used them in the attic because plastic in an attic’s heat and cold cycles isn’t going to last long.

Lowe’s also has some metal shelving similar to warehouse shelving, which is nice and heavy duty for most any homeowner. But you start to lose out on price point.

Last edited:
Wood. Use decking screws so you can take them apart when/if you move and can't move them in the assembled state. I like to make them 16" deep so you get 3 pieces out of a 4' wide piece of wood. I would use 7/16" OSB, and put a brace in the middle.

Another nice thing about wood is you can easily pop a nail or screw in it to hang stuff or add another shelf.

Build them with screws...
Use 2x4's for the shelf surface... the gaps keep dirt/dust/bugs/belly button lint a place to go.
Space the shelves (height/depth) for whatever brand/size of totes you use.

I started with some "built" by the old house's PO... dude was an idiot.
Knocked them down, rebuilt with screws.
Re-configured them (originally 4' deep x 8' long) to allow more floor space.
Re-configured again to allow for beer fridge space.
Re-configured (tore them down) the 3rd time to allow for fermentation chamber (upright freezer) and revamped into RubberMaid totes storage (18" deep x 4' tall x 8' long = 6 totes)... currently loaded down at new digs.

Rebuilding mine as well. Very similar to top picture. Going to whittle down the 2x4s I have to 5/4 x 3. Rabbit for the ply. Sanded and painted. Practice for a cabinet. Over kill for shelves

I have some heavy wood shelves, that the previous owner built in. Nice but would be Hard to move, plus construction time. Added 2 sets of the metal shelves, with them being secured to the Wooden ones. Metal seems a bit shaky, but easy to move & or adjust. Another garage I added a few wire shelves, like a closet shelve, but they have to be secured to the wall. You might also find something under "Salvage Freight / Equipment", or similar. Mount Holly has one that has a lot of Racking from warehouses.

Yeah, a lot of the used pallet racking places also have used metal storeroom shelving. That's what I'm planning on using when I finally get that far...

Is it hidden in some category OTHER than shelving?
If you had ever been to this place, you would understand. It's about 15-20k sqft warehouse with about 300sqft of space to walk in (600ft path 6" wide). I bet they don't have 3% of their inventory on the website.

A vote for the plastic ones here, I have many sets of those in use. They are very strong and have the added benefit of not being susceptible to fluid damage/absorption. I've had trannies, steering boxes, etc leak all over them and they just wipe clean.

I bet they don't have 3% of their inventory on the website.

I'f they've got the "Home Depot sales rack" type shelving for sale...it's worth a trip down with truck/trailer.

I just bought a couple shelving units from Costco, ~42" wide, but 18" deep. 5 shelves, 1,500lbs capacity. they aren't adjustable, but they have 18" legs between each shelf and feet to keep everything off the floor. $25 each and they come apart quick and easy and take up the same space as their footprint when broken down.

Cheap....yes, but they cost less then it would have cost to build in lumber alone, and they are labeled "Made in the USA"......I am always a sucker for employing my fellow citizens.

When you do get to building your shelves. I have a metric shit ton of laminate that I will sell you to put on top for a durable surface

A vote for the plastic ones here, I have many sets of those in use. They are very strong and have the added benefit of not being susceptible to fluid damage/absorption. I've had trannies, steering boxes, etc leak all over them and they just wipe clean.

^this

Stuff leaks. With plastic, metal, or 2x4, you are probably fine, but with plywood or pressboard, you will have swelling and sagging.

I'f they've got the "Home Depot sales rack" type shelving for sale...it's worth a trip down with truck/trailer.
They always have piles of it. Look at the place on Google Street view and aerial. I drive by there a couple times a month.

Back