Shop heat....

One thing I knew I needed to figure out was the rectangular peg and round hole issue.

033400B5-7A88-450A-9035-4D392A3C21B8.jpeg

Also need to figure out about how far from the block wall it will need to be. Doesn’t fire/heat mess up concrete?

The blower works.
4BA075FF-7BE7-47C7-ACC7-2969D08272D3.jpeg

Shoveled the ash out then took the shop vac to it. Looks like fire brick inside of it. Also looks like a baffle or heat shield broke free and bent. Not sure what to do with that. Is there a paint of something I can put on this?

On cleaning I discovered a name and number. Birmingham Stove & Range Co. 8440

B2C58C80-F4D0-45D7-B314-82B8BF75A9EE.jpeg
BBB8580E-1E4B-4B3F-9206-4AB165003688.jpeg

One thing I knew I needed to figure out was the rectangular peg and round hole issue.

View attachment 332486

Also need to figure out about how far from the block wall it will need to be. Doesn’t fire/heat mess up concrete?
Not unless your way hot, or heat extremely fast. Give yourself 12 to 18 inches and your good. My ideal spot would be easy to clean behind but not large enough to pile crap behind.

The top is typical insert fair. A sheet metal guy should be able to fab an adapter. Maybe you could fine a commercial one. Google revealed many options.

Paint of a high temp variety would work somewhat. My experience is it stinks. Then it last for a short while and after that gets rusty all the same.

I'm seriously considering seasoning my shop stove like a grill or cast iron. (when I build it) Of course this smokes until done but once done it's good. Been investigating oils with a really high smoke point. Just like paint though, one stupid hot for later it's all gone. Your fire brick if throughout will help with this issue.

I heat mine with wood, as well as the house a lot of time.

Heres the shop stove.

20171215_172647.jpg

View attachment 332486

I used an insert in a previous shop. I basically made a flat sheet metal plate that sat over opening and had a lip bent down on each side to keep it located. Then I took a short piece of pipe and "ovaled" one end to fit within the opening. Cut out the flat plate and tack welded the 2 together.

It wasn't ideal, but worked well for the few years I used it.

DBB16600-D2C1-40A2-B670-5D594CB5A72B.jpeg

Finally got some time to move stuff around and get this beast in close position to where it will sit. Hole in the top is 4.25” x 14.25” inside. Going to have to fab something up. I’m also planning on a stand to get it about a foot off the ground. I’m thinking 2” x.25” angle with some legs.

View attachment 333005

Finally got some time to move stuff around and get this beast in close position to where it will sit. Hole in the top is 4.25” x 14.25” inside. Going to have to fab something up. I’m also planning on a stand to get it about a foot off the ground. I’m thinking 2” x.25” angle with some legs.

Your gonna wanna get those benches a lot further away from that stove on put two layers of cement board on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your gonna wanna get those benches a lot further away from that stove on put two layers of cement board on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There were easier to move than the stove... I moved them after a short break. Right now they are about 18" - 20" away. The cement board act as a insulator or reflector?

There were easier to move than the stove... I moved them after a short break. Right now they are about 18" - 20" away. The cement board act as a insulator or reflector?
Insulator I would guess

I wouldnt get too creative on the stand. I just sat mine up on some stacked bricks/block.

If you want to be creative, build a reclaimer to go in the pipe. Might be a good way to covert from rectangle to round.

I wouldnt get too creative on the stand. I just sat mine up on some stacked bricks/block.

If you want to be creative, build a reclaimer to go in the pipe. Might be a good way to covert from rectangle to round.
I thought about the bricks. We took out a chimney at the MIL house earlier this year so I have plenty of brick. I'll have to google reclaimer IDK what that is. I just ordered a 7" oval to 6" round adapter. Plan is to weld it to a rectangle cap and run 6" up to the hole in the wall.

I thought about the bricks. We took out a chimney at the MIL house earlier this year so I have plenty of brick. I'll have to google reclaimer IDK what that is. I just ordered a 7" oval to 6" round adapter. Plan is to weld it to a rectangle cap and run 6" up to the hole in the wall.

it is basically an air-to-air heat exchanger. It helps to capture more heat that is going up the chimney. They have some nice ones, but can be $$. I have seen some built out of drums/tanks/etc. Basically you want the exhaust to flow through and contact a conductive surfaces, and then blow air across that to circulate in the room.

Similar idea to how a double barrel drum stove works.

it is basically an air-to-air heat exchanger. It helps to capture more heat that is going up the chimney. They have some nice ones, but can be $$. I have seen some built out of drums/tanks/etc. Basically you want the exhaust to flow through and contact a conductive surfaces, and then blow air across that to circulate in the room.

Oh I see. I wish the fire place in the house had a way to stop the heat going up the chimney. This thing has a blower that works and I suspect it will be too much for the little shop it's going in but I'll keep that in mind.

Don’t these promote creosote build up by taking away too much heat from the exhaust gases?

Don’t these promote creosote build up by taking away too much heat from the exhaust gases?

I think as long as you leave enough heat in the pipe, youll be ok. Most of them you see, arent very big. A friend has one in his shop, like Phillip posted above. It puts warm air out the front, and the pipe above is still hot to the touch. If you take away too much heat, you loose some of the draft of the chimney also.

This homemade heater gets out shop nice and toasty in no time 50x50 metal building with blanket insulation. My grandad built the firebox 40yrs ago to fit the tobacco barn heater door. When we put it in the shop we slapped a used piece of 1/8" plate around it as a air space for the blower. The blower is a multi speed hvac fan I got from the dump. I have low and med-high wired up. High speed was too dang loud. We burn pallet boards exclusively since we have an endless supply.
IMG_20201214_145102320.jpg
IMG_20201214_145115521.jpg

I have a Tempwood stove that needs a good home, it should only need a little touch up paint, it had a small crack near the thimble, been repaired and painted, sitting in storage for 3 years now.

I have a Tempwood stove that needs a good home, it should only need a little touch up paint, it had a small crack near the thimble, been repaired and painted, sitting in storage for 3 years now.
Selling or giving?

For ease of use, lack of stank, and real warmth... we used a small 50k BTU propane fired torpedo/salamander (12" T x 24"L IIRC, $79 at TSC) at the step-son's place to get the temps down workable last year.
Fired it wide open in the basement and let it rise... pretty sure we got 18+ hours out of a 20# bottle, so $0.55/hour ain't bad

Loud like any fan forced heater... without smelling like diesel exhaust... brought 2500sq/ft up from 30*-40* to T-shirt comfort in no time and then we idled back from there

So this thread has me remembering that I have an old, very heavy fireplace insert that I have zero use for but scrap. Does anyone have a heating need for it? It has the same rectangular outlet on the top as described previously. It has the pipe out the side for a, looks like, 4"x4" standard insert blower fan.

So I ordered a 7” oval to 6” round adapter. I need to make a cover to weld it to but I think it will work.
A6752050-D558-446B-8708-21F5D1FDD1D0.jpeg
8CCE93B7-2ED6-4B01-9868-40AC53C3AC9C.jpeg

I think I want the rectangle cover to bump up if I can figure out how to do it or get it done.

Last edited:
Back