shop topic?

JSEsterly

How about a "what do you have in your shop" thread/topic for newbies like me?

I'd love to buy a tube bender for beginners :) to play aound with and try to create some things. Anyone have anything simple? homemade jobies? I'm afraid to buy something like this on ebay.

I let a customer play with my exhaust pipe bender for a couple hours last weekend, he actually come out with a pretty nice looking bumper out of the deal. To bad it was only out of .095. Good practice for him on angles though.

Wow, straight to a bender?!?! :) I don't have one of those yet, just trying to stay friendly with my buds WHO DO have one!

Interesting thread for an offroader, I will start with what I have/want:

First thing, was a $100ish set of tools from Sears/Craftsman in a small 3 drawer box. That got me the basic hand tools.

Recently added a 18ish" 'breaker' bar, 1/2" drive, for those tougher items, like the pinion nut! :) (Also bought a 1 1/16" and 1 1/8" sockets since they did not come with my set)

An air compressor has come in really handy, but in my case mine is in bad shape and needs replacing soon with something with some UMPH. Air Tools such as an impact gun, spray gun, etc are generally cheaper than the electric version since the power is supplied by the compressor.

Impact socket set for above...

Floor Jack, Jack Stands....don't wimp out here, save up the moolah and buy a decent set. (I didn't do this and have a set that is worthless for working on my Jeep or Tow rig...or durn near worthless)

Welder...this is one of those personal deals....personally I bought the ReadyWelder since I can take it with me on the trail and it will handle any tasks I will do at my place too. (Others might suggest a GOOD MIG welder for home use, I think it depends on how much you plan on doing)

Grinders....Bench grinders are SO nice...and don't buy a crappy one on ebay, ASK me how I know. Just bought myself a Dewalt 4.5" hand grinder at Lowes this weekend on clearance for $35, yeah! (This will come in handy with Welder..)

Battery Charger....best $25-35ish I have spent, cannot tell you how much I have used it in last 10+ years. Might be worth getting up to the $50ish version with lots of amp / volt choices, mine has just a few.

Shop Vac...best Xmas gift to date, use it ALL the time...

$125 Cordless 18v Firestorm set....utterly useless except for the drill.... better off to spend cash on a GOOD cordless drill and maybe a good cordless impact.

Built a nice workbench, and 20' of shelving so far...see below, I need MORE shelving

Hmm, that is all for now....would LIKE to buy a good:

Drill press (with attachment for tube notching)

Cutoff Saw

Buy/Build a good worktable/rolling cart....

and LOTS more shelving...my work bench keeps getting piled up with junk, I am about to add 40' or so more in shelving on one wall to get that stuff off my workbench.

What I've got?

well, I can't list it all, but I'll try...

All kinds of craftsman hand tools, SAE and metric
craftsman 35gallon air compressor
air tools
a couple floor jacks
a few jack stands
engine stand
engine hoist
creepers
SMAW welder
TIG welder
MIG welder
oxy/acc torch
numerous drills, hand and bench
a couple of sawzalls
a couple grinders
jig saws
circular saws
dual compound mitre saw
levels
calipers
pry bars
chain hoists and come-a-longs
hole saws
oh yeah, the tubing bender

I've got access to much,much more at work (50,000 square foot industrial metal fabrication shop)

I'm sure I forgot some stuff. Actually, I know I forgot a lot of stuff...

Rob

rockcity said:
What I've got?
well, I can't list it all, but I'll try...
I've got access to much,much more at work (50,000 square foot industrial metal fabrication shop)
I'm sure I forgot some stuff. Actually, I know I forgot a lot of stuff...
Rob

Damn you Rob. :flipoff2:
When oh when will NC get the lotto?

I'm just starting out but some things I do have:
I have mostly craftsman (300p set) some snap-on, and cornwell
33gal craftsman compressor, some airtools
220 lincoln arc (havent been able to use it yet- but i did take a welding class at the local CC)
jack stands, small floor jack- need a better one.

I'm putting together my shopping list
I've been looking around for some things i'd like to have, but not quite sure what is what between brands..ex.. Did a little pricing at lowes

10" drill press.. on sale for $69.00 (gmc)
cutoof saw $99 (gmc)
tube bender?????
maybe a 110v welder?

I could be wrong here, but I THINK the point of this thread was to give a new guy some ideas of what he might want to begin his home shop.

Not bragging rights on how much stuff, ya can get to use in a commercial shop.

But that could just be me thinking.

- So with that in mind.
This is my recommendation for someone starting out - not my list of what I have.

With all things tool. Don't cheap out. Buy the best you can afford - buy once - have it for a long time.

In aprox order to grow into them.

Get a good set of hand tools. And a decent way to keep them organized.

Jack & Stands

Air tools -
Compressor
1/2" Impact
Air Chisel / hammer & asst bits
Die grinder
3/8" air ratchett

Power tools -
Drill
4 or 4.5" grinder
Chop saw

Welding -

Welding clamps - several pairs of visegrips dedicated to welding (to keep the good ones in the tool box and still be able to grip something)

Oxy Acct torch.
Welder (Buzz box or small - midsize MIG)

Along the way - you will discover many special tools you will need for your particular vehicle. If you need it once and don't see needing it again. Beg, borrow or rent it. If you even think you will use it a second time. Buy it.
You won't regret it.

Here is what is in mine

Oxy/Acc torch
Lincon Weld Pack 100 Flux core wire feed welder
Air tools
125psi 60 Gal compresor
Engine hoist
Cut off saw
Radial Arm Saw
work bench
Porta Power with a air driven pump
Tall Jack stands (8)
Rolling tool Box
Millwakee Super Sawzall
200k BTU propane heater
A/C unit mounted in Wall
Fridge
18'X9' rollup door in the front
8'x 9' roll up in rear.

To me, there's 2 kinds of tools: Those you can't do without, those you'll wonder how you ever did without once you get 'em (or ones that will limit what you can do without)

Type 1:

1: A decent variety of 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" ratchets, sockets, extensions...
2: a few hammers, one big one, screwdrivers and the like
3: a jack, and tall enough jack stands.
4: 4.5" grinder with various discs
5: dremel
6: 5" or bigger vise
7: pry bars
8: 1/2" drill

Type 2 tools:

Welder
chop saw/band saw
plasma cutter
air compressor & tools for it
tubing bender (especially with a hydro conversion)
engine hoist
Various high-speed sanding devices (3m roloc's, etc.)
tubing notcher
Drill doctor
vehicle lift

JeepinHank said:
I thought this was a myth??? That deserves a whole new topic in itself!!!

I've watched mechanics that have a very well organized tool box that can reach behind themselves, open a drawer and grab the wrench they need with out ever looking. really helps when time is money! I've spent unending time looking for a 5/16 wrench in a small hand carry tool box that would've been better spent wrenching so I could go wheelin' :D

JeepinHank said:
I thought this was a myth??? That deserves a whole new topic in itself!!!

Short version of a long story. Many years ago I got a job at a Dodge dealer for my first time in a dealership after working in mom & pop shops for years. I showed up with my little craftsman tool box with - get this - an old kitchen cabinet bolted to the side of it to keep my air tools etc in. Crammed full of tools.
They about laughed me outta the place. I said [Gruff voice & puffed up chest] I can do more with my $2000 worth of tools in my old tin box than you can do with a $2000 box.

When the other guys started smoking my times with fewer tools because they could actually FIND them, and get them out in less than 20 minutes....
It took a lot of wind out of my sails. I bought a bigger box the next week. Organized tools does help.

Now if I actually put the tools back in the box....

Thanks, This is exactly what I was thinking, not only for me, but Im sure there are a few out there who didint want to ask in fear of looking like a newbie.

Rob said:
Hmmmm, vehicle lift.

Rob, see above to where i asked "when oh when will NC get the lotto?" I'd LOVE to put a lift in my garage..(that I am waiting until my home loan gets approved to start building) :D But.. I dont think the lift is much of a priority.

Lifts are not the expensive. But the room to install one is. I don't think my wife will let me take out the living room floor to install a lift in the garage below.

Well.............
Toll shop, and a soon to be Drive in work shop, just have to puor the pad and erect it

All Sockets ratchets and extensions 1.4, 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4
Too many sets of wrenches
Flare nut wrenches , stubbys, quick wrenches All in SAE and MEtric
Several kinds of pullers
Big assortment of tap and dies
Every vice grip and plier known to man LOL
many clamps from Bessie to C clamps
Pipe wrenches
Brake tools,
Air tools, sheer, nibbler, drills, impact, ratchets, chisle, grinder, brush sander
Floor band saw, ports band
3 grinders( who wants to change back and forth between disks and brushes)
Hobart Mig, Ready Welder Mig
Floor grinder
Parts washer
Floor drill press
20 ton press
Compressor
Vice
Bolt bin
two stand up tool boxes plus others
Jack stand, jacks
creeper
lights
all kinds of carpentry tools
Every size hammer drom lil pecker to Sledge
Timming light
HEat shrink gun
dwell meter
amp meter
cherry picker
engine stand
all sizes of torq wrenches
allen wrenchs
torx wrenches
sand blaster
solder gun

OMG there's where my kids fund went!

Rob said:
Lifts are not the expensive. But the room to install one is. I don't think my wife will let me take out the living room floor to install a lift in the garage below.

I think a lift will be one of my next things to get after my tow rig.
I got enough room for one,but the celing will not allow me to go all the way up but it will be high enough too work.

Shops? You guys got SHOPS?

I got a little T-111 shed to keep stuff in, and a gravel driveway to use it in. :(

Trebissky said:

I got a little T-111 shed to keep stuff in, and a gravel driveway to use it in. :(
I had that for years. I got older and wiser.

wbcarver said:
I could be wrong here, but I THINK the point of this thread was to give a new guy some ideas of what he might want to begin his home shop.

Not bragging rights on how much stuff, ya can get to use in a commercial shop.

But that could just be me thinking.

who really cares but you :flipoff2:

he asked and I told, reason why I don't own this type of stuff is cause I've got free range to the whole shop anytime I need; I don't need to own any of it, yet.

I could list everything from the 5/8" x 5' roller or the 260 ton x 16' break press, or even the 42" capacity laser guided Behringer saw and.........

I could just keep going on and on, but just to keep you from thinking too much, I won't

Rob

Trebissky said:

Plywood work surface, FEMA tarps/ pop-up canopy for shade, rain protection, a few drop cords and a few Halogen lights for night Op's.

Who said a 15'x16' shed couldn't have 220 power, plasma, welder, bender, bandsaw, air compressor, floor jack and stands, 20 ton press, drill press, radial arm saw, 2 work benches, parts washing tank, storage shelves, spare engine, axles, shafts, several chunks, various steel steel stock, and boomin tunes? ( had to get a job where I could have my MAC box stored there, so I have to transport tools home, got no more room)

I got the same deal, and to add to the aggrivation is a dog that wants to play catch about the time you have a transmission on your chest attempting to lift in position ( said mutt will drop the ball on the jewels, just to get yer attention !)

a real garage is in the cards some day, just gotta get the $$$ situation worked out first ( that was enhanced Monday )

Kevin

YEah, as of now I have a canopy I work under, as well as in the drive , the yard or where ever. BUT!
I picked up a 18'X20' Carport for $260 last week, Gonna widen it to about 22' lengthen it another 5' Pour a par and block up 3 courses, maybe four. Bring my tool shed to the back, add a door and close it all in. Maybe a sliding door on the front, perhaps a roll up. I think it will serve me well, allow me to work inside in bad weather, and allow me to just stop, lock up and leave. Time and money, everything is time and money

Amen Chip! I have worked in both gravel & rough concrete/asphalt for years. One of the major points in buying the house we did (at least for me :D ) was a 2 hole garage in the basement. The Jeep was the *FIRST* thing into the house... left the lawyers/closing, picked up Josh, grabbed the Moss, drove other, & deposited her!

Pros:
- I've got cable :flipoff2:
- WELL lit (5 - 4' double FLs and 2 drop lights)
- Within 15' of the main panel (220VAC/50A welder/air comp. circuit is already installed)
- Concrete floor is so smooth, the creeper moves itself! (well, much easier than the 30 y/o asphalt in the drive of the previous residence!)
- Relatively climate controlled
- Push the button, the rollup closes, turn off lights,... done! (no more spending hour dragging out/fetching/picking up tools, parts, etc.)

Cons:
- Directly above 11 y/o's bedroom... (no grinding, BFHing, etc after about 2200... right! ;) )
- Ceiling will only take 4"-5" more lift before the Moss won't fit inside
- At 11' wide - 1.5' for shelving on the outside wall - 1.5' for "crap" hung on the inside wall = 3' divided between both sides of the Moss (5' wide)... TIGHT! (wife got the 14' side :rolleyes: )
- DD "must" sit out in the weather
- No work bench (YET!)

I've accumulated a few hand tools over the years, a couple of drills, 4.5" grinder, 7k# "Michelin" floorjack & "chrome" GY jackstands from Sams, HH175 (new board should arrive this week! :smokin: ), & 2 weeks ago... my pappy's "antique" DeVilbiss air comp. (5hp/120psi/15cfm)... while more "stuff" would be great to have, I've done more with much less and don't really have room for more/larger tools...

Back