shop topic?

I'll play also...Decent size shop with plasma / welders / press / bender / lathe / 3 lifts (one 9k & one 12k & one 9k waiting to be put up).
:huggy:

The down side is very little time to go wheeling or work in the shop.

<><Fish

Well, when I said small shed I meant SMALL... 8' x 8' by @10' high in front sloping back to 8' high.

One'a these days... sigh.

Not braggin

Not braggin, just telling. Here we go... First shop is 7800 sq ft 5 bay with 3 9k lifts 1 7k lift and a 15k drive on for my alignment tech which is btw the best dang alignment man ive ever seen so if you 4Wheeler drives crooklegged come see him. Got a tool box that if i dont have it you dont need it. MIG and Arc welders and my Bro-in-law (soon to be ex-bro-in-law) has a TIG that i use if things get serious or aluminium is involved. Oxy/Acl torch, Cuda Parts washer cabinet, 20 ton Press, More computer crap than NASA for these fun new cars. I work on those for the $$ work on the wheelers for the fun so if anyone is near Hickory id be glad to help out if you got some problems or need some info on your grocery gitter id be glad to help out so just PM me.

OK the 2nd shop is 3200 sq ft which is now empty in which im thinking about rent out bays if people needed a big dry place to wrok on thier stuff. It has one 10k in ground lift and a 80gal air comp in it. If any one might be interested in renting out one or all of it id be glad to see what we could do.

Well thats the overview and like i said " Not braggin , just tellin" Thanks

Wait just a minute!

JE, why not *skip* buying anything and simply utilize the base "hobbyshop"?

IIRC, it took minor $ (seems $5-10/hour) to use anything there! Elusive & JeepGod both built their trash at CherryPoints hobbyshop (seems beer bribes worked for them! ;) ). Also, get in touch with Russ (BoogerCJ7) and he can fill you in... seems they had access to every tool you could name! May have to wait a bit to use it, but that's a small price for access to all the welding, bending, cutting, & fab equipment they have....

If it sucks as bad as most MC resources (I don't know, I never used the hobbyshop :( ), just head over the S-J AFB or Fart Bragg... everyone knows they get all the new blingy stuff! :D

JSEsterly said:
maybe this should have been split into 2 topic..
#1. what a newbie should have
#2. bragging about my shop
:D

That was where I was going with my first post.
- NOT KNOCKING ANYONE'S SHOP - so don't anybody git yer panties in a wad.

I don't claim to have the biggest or baddest *anything*, but I do have a fairly well equipped shop and am proud of what I do have. And it's all mine and all paid for.

Of course I work for the government and I have access to a 82 Gigawatt wire-guided assmometer....

But the list of what all I have, would be of little use to a new person trying to figure out how to spend a couple hundred tools dollars (he swindled out of the grocery fund - ;) ). Not when he (or she) is trying to figure out whether it is better to spend $79 on a 1/2" drive socket set or on a 90* grinder.

Braggin' rights is fine and I think we all enjoy it. That's probably half the reason we build stuff. Just didn't think this was the original point of the thread.

:beer:

then its easy.

get a sawzall, 4" grinder, a good set (not cheap imports) hand tools (just a Rich said, 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sockets and combo wrenches), up to 1 1/4" or so (not necessary), allen wrenches (a must for most brake calipers), a good hammer, a good level (torpedo and 2'), angle finder, a 1/2" hole shooter, some good 11R vice clamps, a floor jack and at least 2 jack stands, and a 220V AC/DC buzzbox (can stick weld with excellent quality as well as TIG with the right attachments, which are inexpensive).

IMO, this is a good start. you can do away with the welder, but its hard to do it. Especially if ya need to weld on spring perches or a bumper and such.

To make it nicer, add a port-a-band or small saw to the mix, air compressor with air tools, engine hoist, nice tap and die set (for all those stripped out holes in the frame or what-not), a right angle and close quarters drill, bigger wrenches and sockets (wheel bearing sockets), flare nut wrenches, drill press, big 9" grinder (and the know-how to use it without grinding yourself), some good wilton or bessee 12" slide clamps, and a good MIG welder, not a 110V either. I'm talking about a 220V with gas, something like a millermatic 225 or similar.

You can also add a decent sized press for not much more $$$ as well as a good tubing bender. But, ya gotta have some room to mount and use the bender unless you spend some extra coin on a portable stand with hydraulics.

hope this helps out more :D

Rob

Caver Dave said:
JE, why not *skip* buying anything and simply utilize the base "hobbyshop"?\

I plan on going over to the base hobby shop tomorrow to look around. Cherry point is about an hour away from lejeune, and even further from the house im buying..that would make for some very long days.. the fab/ major welding and such I'll probably try to get done there (on lejeune) but some of the more minor stuff I'd like to do at home. That way I can do it when every I like, and dont have to wait to use anything.

rockcity said:
then its easy.
a 1/2" hole shooter

You can also add a decent sized press for not much more $$$ as well as a good tubing bender. But, ya gotta have some room to mount and use the bender unless you spend some extra coin on a portable stand with hydraulics.

hope this helps out more :D

Rob

Ok, whats a hole shooter??

A lot of this stuff I do have, (220 arc- no where to plug it in at just yet)
I would like to get a tube bender, but base might have one (whats the diff in a tube / pipe bender?)

I do appreciate everyones input, like i said in the beginning this was mostly for me to get an idea of things i do need and dont have.. and also thinking it would be a great topic in the newbie section, for anyone to take a look at.

If you have a Northern Tool near by they have a good selection of decent tools for fab work at fair prices plus they have all kind of extra goodies. I like to see them as a Victoria Screts for men. :)

a 1/2" hole shooter (Milwaukee terminology) is a drill. Its not the huge 1/2" drill, but the one that looks very similar to the 3/8" drill, but with much more torque and a larger chuck for the larger holes. Its a little more $$$, but well worth it.

Do not buy a pipe bender. They usually are not mandrel and are made for thicker wall material that will not kink under the bending forces. A tubing bender should be mandrel and can bend very thin wall material at a tight radius without kinking or wrinkling the tubing. The tubing bender is usually much more $$$, unless you get a full hydro machine that can do it all ($$$$$$$$). I'd recommend a JD2 Model 3 (what I have), its very affordable and very easy to use. Some have the Pro Tools bender, same principle. Affordable and easy to use.

The tubing bender will bend pipe, but the pipe bender will not bend thin wall tubing (read: less than .25" wall) as used in off road applications, without kinking.
the JD2 bender site:
http://www.jd2.com/

the site below shows a pipe bender. it does not use a follow bar like the tubing benders do, which help to eliminate kinks, flattening, and wrinkling. The thick wall pipe is usually strong enough to support itself on the large radius bends so it will not kink. Its good if ya want to bend pipe, not tubing.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...oductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=605&R=605

Rob

30x40x10 shop in backyard
80 gal. air comp.
hobart 210 iron man mig.
oxy/ ace. torch.
chain fall aframe( hope to sale)
floor jacks
air tools, grinders,impacts,rachets, an hammers.
4" belt sander floor mounted.
10" table saw
24spd. stand along drill press
deep throat portaband
plainer
grinder floor mounted.
3 hand sanders of different sizes
skill saws
1/4" drive sockets in 6, an 12 point in metric an sae
3/8 " " " " " " " " " " "
1/2 " " " " " " " " " " "
hand wrenches from 3mm to 19 mm
" " " 1/8 to 1 1/4"
various ratchets fo above
Torque wrenches for 15 ft lbs to 300lbs.
sind grinders
engine stand
various size jackstands
24ft L shaped 2x6 work bench with 6" vise
4x4 1/2" plate steel fab table caster mounted
sawzaws corded an cordless
cordless drills of various sizes
an a few other toys i'm sure i forgot.

I got a rechargable screwdriver & some duct tape! That's all you really need. :huggy:

No tape measures?? You guys are good....or else HACKERS!! :D

BigJUGGY said:
No tape measures?? You guys are good....or else HACKERS!! :D

Thats sounds about right.

Step #1 Designed by an engineer with help from CAD/CAM.

Step #2 Measured with a micrometer.

Step #3 Cut with a torch. :lol:

<><Fish

Back