Shops in Wilmington?

tjfreddy

I guess this is the right section for this. Just moved to wilmington and need to get a couple of things fixed so I can wheel next weekend. I normally do this crap myself but living in an apt with no power tools sucks. I have tried to call cape fear 4x4 many times, but they have yet to answer the phone. Any shop recommendations? or hell anyone have a home shop with the time and want to make some extra cash?

Thanks,

Fred

what all do you need done

Yeah, Cape Fear is supposed to be a great place... I have tired numerous times to get them to talk to me, but they ignored me.

To be so great, they sure dont want anybody's rig to work on. They must have a shit load of business, cus they are not at all concerned about getting new business.

The only other off road shop I know of in Wilmington is Performance Innovations. I have already shared "some" of my feelings on that place elsewhere on this forum, SO Im just gonna say that they are in Wilmington, and can be found on this forum, Thats all I am gonna say.

Wilmington isn't really known for their fab shops persay though most people do it on the side. CF4x4 and PI are really the only 1s. There used to be a guy who did awesome work out behind the airport but I think he quit doing it. Also by far the best custom fab work I ever saw done in this town was over at Downes Performance or it may have been Downes engineering. Bobby did by far the best work I have ever seen in this area but last I heard he went to work over at Nuspeed or somewhere like that. He was big into custom fab ( has a sick fj buggyon rockwells) diesel performance ( especially cummins) and did alot of work building sub frames for the guys at the race track and sch and did some welding for the local marinas. He was located over in dutch square. Turn in off windmill I believe it was where the dominos sign was and he was behind an industrial supply house. Don't have a number as I haven't talked to him in a good while. If your just needing general work done let me know and I can definately get you steered in the right direction

bobby is now @ speed innovations on gordon road by market street (in front of shooter's choice, behind hess gas station)

Erik i think name of the shop is actually National Speed...
As far as shops go, i wouldn't deal with PI, good work for the most part, but not very professional/mature enough to run his own business yet... but i will give him credit for doing what he has considering his age. CF4x4 has done some work for me and it has always turned out great. National Speed (where Downes works) is trying to get more off road business, they can do gears and other more difficult tasks needed, but they are pretty expensive on labor. It all depends on what you have to get done. If you get a chance go by CF4x4, i am willing to bet that they would be happy to talk to you.

Thanks for the replies. not rocket science what needs to be done, I just don't have a press for the wheel bearings, not to mention workign outside on a trailer sucks.
Ian you bringin the grill this weekend?

Thanks for the replies. not rocket science what needs to be done, I just don't have a press for the wheel bearings, not to mention workign outside on a trailer sucks.
Ian you bringin the grill this weekend?

i got a press you can use at my work ,pm me if interested

last i heard cape fear 4x4 was going out of business,

he's been struggling for awhile, some people said he was getting a job at a jeep dealer in town.

He took his cape fear 4x4 sign down

he's been struggling for awhile, some people said he was getting a job at a jeep dealer in town.

Well damn..... If he would have returned my phone calls and emails, then he would have had a near $10,000 job on his hands. SO much for motivation.

my buddy had his rig at cape fear 4x4 for ONE year to get one tons swapped in(all parts supplied up front and he had $$$), i wouldn't let him change my brake pads, nevermind a big job

you heard wrong,i just hung the phone with them and everythings good over there,and they looked out the window and the sign is still hanging

my buddy had his rig at cape fear 4x4 for ONE year to get one tons swapped in(all parts supplied up front and he had $$$), i wouldn't let him change my brake pads, nevermind a big job

again you heard wrong,as is everything there is two sides to this story,from what i was just told your buddy didnt have his money ,so the work was sidelined,in case you didnt know,that is a two man shop ,Danny and Kelly do great work and they bust their ass to do it,so yeah sometimes calls aren't returned and the phone may not be answered,if it was such a problem, ride by the shop, Wilmington aint that big,and i bet that big green zj would be parked out front,also it aint like they were on the net trying to drum up business and then not answering the phones,i doubt they give a shit in changing your brake pads,how much money could be in that job anyway:fuck-you:

well he reset the gears that PI set the pattern and backlash wrong on, causing problems for me twice. and i have been running on the gears that Danny set up that i was told were not salvageable just fine, no noise or any other issues.
From what i hear PI took 3 months to set up an axle in the front of a liberty, and it still wasnt right. the coils were rubbing and all the money was supplied up front. Now he still has yet to put the boost gauge and gears in the front of an F-250 he has been working on.
Sounds to me like he needs to get his things together before any one touches his brake pads.....

well he reset the gears that PI set the pattern and backlash wrong on, causing problems for me twice. and i have been running on the gears that Danny set up that i was told were not salvageable just fine, no noise or any other issues.
From what i hear PI took 3 months to set up an axle in the front of a liberty, and it still wasnt right. the coils were rubbing and all the money was supplied up front. Now he still has yet to put the boost gauge and gears in the front of an F-250 he has been working on.
Sounds to me like he needs to get his things together before any one touches his brake pads.....

Improper backlash CAN"T cause spider gear failure, improper backlash would ruin the ring and pinion,(so that means if your running the same gears still that PI set them up correctly) the spider gears have nothing to do with backlash

If you don't want to sound like an idiot again you can read here http://pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/ about gear and gear setup

you sure do seem to be quite the fan of PI, has he worked on your rig? and the only reason i am running the same gears is because they were reset by CF4x4.

Yeah, the piss poor priority levels where my biggest complaint with PI. It has already been said that he isnt mature enough to run his own shop yet. That is the damn truth.
Yes, some of his fabrications skills are quite nice, but he thinks that since he is his own boss he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't realize that sombeody is going to get really pissed off at him for being so fuckin slow. I dropped my jeep off to him for a Hemi swap the week before Thanksgiving and did not get it back until May 07. He told me countless times that it was almost done and only needed a few days of work. After those few days, something always came up to be a problem.
The second week of Feb, PI told me that ALL he needed to finish my swap was a radiator. I ordered one and it was delivered on Feb 16. Yet it still took him almost 3 months to install that radiator and finish my jeep.
He Just thinks he can work at his own speed and nobody will ever care otherwise. He forgets that he WORKS FOR THE CUSTOMER, and it his ultimate responsibility to please to please the customer.

Everyone has their own opinion... Brenden and his father both have turned wrenches on my rigs through the years, not only in wilmington but other shops in NC and I havn't seen better work... Everybody fucks up, everybody treats that one customer not the best for some reason or another... If there was such shotty work being done out there, i'd figure anyone with common since, would 1. take it back, 2. sue their ass off... since i havnt heard anyone do either yet, it just seems as if there are a buch of web tuff guys.. And if Brenden has slacked off in the past 12months then i stand corrected, but i doubt it.

Yeah, the piss poor priority levels where my biggest complaint with PI. It has already been said that he isnt mature enough to run his own shop yet. That is the damn truth.
Yes, some of his fabrications skills are quite nice, but he thinks that since he is his own boss he can do whatever he wants. He doesn't realize that sombeody is going to get really pissed off at him for being so fuckin slow. I dropped my jeep off to him for a Hemi swap the week before Thanksgiving and did not get it back until May 07. He told me countless times that it was almost done and only needed a few days of work. After those few days, something always came up to be a problem.
The second week of Feb, PI told me that ALL he needed to finish my swap was a radiator. I ordered one and it was delivered on Feb 16. Yet it still took him almost 3 months to install that radiator and finish my jeep.
He Just thinks he can work at his own speed and nobody will ever care otherwise. He forgets that he WORKS FOR THE CUSTOMER, and it his ultimate responsibility to please to please the customer.
Nobody fuckin cares how long your hemi swap took or whatever, there isn't a book at the library to check out that says "how to complete a hemi swap in a jeep" so when you think your almost done there is always another problem, its custom and it takes TIME to get right, so if you don't want to wait or pay learn to do it your fuckin self.

As far as immature goes, Brendan has been running his own business and paid for everything at a pretty young age, what did you do? You still can't even change the oil on your dam motorcycle. You prolly couldn't get into college anywhere so you joined the military, pat on the back for that one, and now you think your better than everyone

you sure do seem to be quite the fan of PI, has he worked on your rig? and the only reason i am running the same gears is because they were reset by CF4x4.
If you weren't such an idiot and web wheeler you would know that if you drive on a set of gears that aren't setup correctly for even a few miles it RUINS the gears, they can't be salvaged or made right by some god of the gears.

Nobody fuckin cares how long your hemi swap took or whatever, there isn't a book at the library to check out that says "how to complete a hemi swap in a jeep" so when you think your almost done there is always another problem, its custom and it takes TIME to get right, so if you don't want to wait or pay learn to do it your fuckin self.

As far as immature goes, Brendan has been running his own business and paid for everything at a pretty young age, what did you do? You still can't even change the oil on your dam motorcycle. You prolly couldn't get into college anywhere so you joined the military, pat on the back for that one, and now you think your better than everyone

If you weren't such an idiot and web wheeler you would know that if you drive on a set of gears that aren't setup correctly for even a few miles it RUINS the gears, they can't be salvaged or made right by some god of the gears.

YOU ARE A ASS,PLAIN AND SIMPLE

Back