Should I go 1/2 or 3/4

So what is annoying with this type of showing off is that most folks only have a Class C license that has a Gross Combined Weight of 26000#. The truck weighs over 8000#, that trailer is probably about #4000 #8000+, then if we use the low estimate of 650#/bale with 32 bales the cargo is 20,800# so the total is 36800#. Using the high estimate the total is nearly 42000#. Then you can see that the load was over width with no signage.

In nearly any other circumstance I would never want the government involved in anything but I have advocated for a Towing Endorsement on driver's licenses for a long time. Everyone that wants to tow something should learn all about towing capacities, loading, weight distribution, weight limits, licensing requirements, etc. Most of these 1-ton trucks can handle more than most people have licenses for. It is a dangerous game. I see improper equipment and overweight trailers all the time. My favorite ones to stay away from are pretty much anyone towing a large 5th wheel camper; I have witnessed so many highway tire blowouts on those that I lost count.
FIFY

On the subject of "how insane tow capacity of light duty trucks is today". A guy I went to college with posted these pics this week. He said it was oats and they were guestimating the bales were between 650 and 800.

View attachment 404708
Those trucks do have a Dana S135 or M300, which is the same axle used in the F550/5500 cab and chassis trucks of Ford and Ram, they just have a GVWR limited to 14,000 in order to still be classed as a "light truck" instead of "medium truck". When I was truck shopping, I found it amusing that people on the forums would argue that the F350 was the beefier truck because it had a higher payload capacity than the F450, even though the F350 only had those higher numbers because it was the lighter truck. An F350 Dana 80 rated at 9750lbs is certainly a good axle, but nothing compared to the 13-15k load ratings of the big axle in the cab and chassis trucks and F450 pickups.

Last edited:
Been kicking the Ram 2500 around for a couple days and so far I’m liking the truck. It rides maybe a little better than my F150 did and the interior and tech are pretty decent it seems. The 6.4 looks to be getting about 15.5 mpg on the dash which isn’t terribly for a 2500 gasser I don’t guess.
A bunch of the gov vehicles where I worked for a handful of years were ram (until the contract ran out and went to ford). We had a couple 2500/ 6.4 gassers and they would put in work. Just don’t forget to fill the go-go juice.

All that does is solidify my argument even more. That truck was probably over-dutied if it was an F350 (cannot tell from the picture.)
The funny thing is that the dude who posted it is a complete stiff. I'm 100% sure he was completely legal. Caleb is always by the book.

The funny thing is that the dude who posted it is a complete stiff. I'm 100% sure he was completely legal. Caleb is always by the book.
1696721867992.png

Towing capacity on that truck is around 33k pounds

Still waiting on the insurance to start wheeling and dealing about my F150 that got totaled 4 weeks ago tomorrow. In that time I’ve been in a 23 Ram 2500 Laramie gasser. At first I thought it was a decent vehicle but after almost a month in it I hate it. Last weekend was the final nail in the coffin, road trip to Baton Rouge for parents weekend and the LSU football game. The roads in La should be part of a test track for manufacturers for suspension setup. I’m pretty sure I hit a crater just outside of Baton Rouge and perforated a kidney and shit out my spleen. Been thinking about a GM 2500 but I’m in one every day that I work and would rather have something different for personal use.

I think you all know my vote! 35K miles! Hope I didn't just curse myself.

Still waiting on the insurance to start wheeling and dealing about my F150 that got totaled 4 weeks ago tomorrow. In that time I’ve been in a 23 Ram 2500 Laramie gasser. At first I thought it was a decent vehicle but after almost a month in it I hate it. Last weekend was the final nail in the coffin, road trip to Baton Rouge for parents weekend and the LSU football game. The roads in La should be part of a test track for manufacturers for suspension setup. I’m pretty sure I hit a crater just outside of Baton Rouge and perforated a kidney and shit out my spleen. Been thinking about a GM 2500 but I’m in one every day that I work and would rather have something different for personal use.
He speaks the troof!! Being stationed in La the roads were so bad I sold my Harley because it was literally unsafe to travel on public’s streets and highways.

If I ever get something newer it'll be a modern half-ton.
I'll sell my enclosed and revert back to towing my open car hauler.

Faster, simpler, cheaper, easier.
Yeah, I’m leaning heavily on going back with a F150 3.5 ecoboost max tow package. Really want a 2500 GMC Denali gasser but really don’t need it.

I have an 2015 eco boost in an expedition. Even with the IRS it’ll pull my wakeboard boat and small equipment no problem. Accelerates on the highway no problem.

I’d get the f250 with the 7.3. The new gas engines are way better than they used to be and have more than enough power to haul what you need, especially if a 1/2 ton has been what you’ve been used to. Really, any of the 3/4 ton trucks would be fine, but after having diesel trucks for the last 20 years, they are too high maintenance and when something goes bad, it’s AT LEAST $1500 to fix. If you want a new diesel to last 300k miles, you are going to have to expect to replace injectors, probably a turbo, probably a lift pump, plus deal with DPF/DEF/EGR issues that seem to eventually be an issue for these newer diesels. All of that stuff is $$$$. Believe me, I’ve run my last 3 diesel trucks to well over 300k miles and even doing routine maintenance and making the above mentioned repairs is well beyond that of any gas engine I’ve ever owned.

I used to tow a lot more than I do now but I still tow an enclosed tool trailer and the boat occasionally or the tractor. If I tow the same or even more than I do now, I’d still buy the 7.3 gas engine truck.

If you are buying a truck and worried about ride quality, maybe you should buy the Honda Ridgeline. :D

Yeah, I’m leaning heavily on going back with a F150 3.5 ecoboost max tow package.
Stick with what you know if you liked it. The power of the 3.5 ecoboost is great, way more useable than the 5.0 in my opinion. The fuel economy is kinda what you make of it, whereas the 5.0 is a bit more consistent.

Well after a long interesting battle with the person that hit me insurance company I will finally get my check for the loss of my truck. I decided on a 3/4 ton Duramax to be used as my daily and a backup to my work truck for a new business venture I’m starting up very soon. Feel I got a deal on a low mileage 21 High Country that is in like new condition. I will be picking it up in a couple weeks after the check gets to me from insurance.
IMG_7839.png

I have an 2015 eco boost in an expedition. Even with the IRS it’ll pull my wakeboard boat and small equipment no problem. Accelerates on the highway no problem.
Came here to chime in on this. Have had the same set up for a year. I’ve hauled all kinds of loads with it and it hasn’t any trouble with any thing I’ve thrown at it.

That being said, I needed a bed so I just added a 6.0 1ton to the driveway. If i didn’t need to haul excavating equipment I’d def consider an ecoboost f150

Back