Sleeping bags

Danger_Ranger

Just got a kamp rite oversized tent cot. Now I need a good sleeping bag. It's getting cold so I need something that's gonna keep me warm at night. Any recommendations?

Just got a kamp rite oversized tent cot. Now I need a good sleeping bag. It's getting cold so I need something that's gonna keep me warm at night. Any recommendations?
If it's the same one @Joe J. Has... I watched that fool emerge from one of those at AOP in 30 degree weather with nothing but his draws on and steam roll out that bad boy.....you shouldn't need anything but pillows

It’s sort of a labor of love using these but they are damn near indestructible and warm as a mofo. No tent required!

They are exspensive but have a kodiak canvas with the blanket attachment. Last year I tent camped in Colorado at -10 in just my drawers in it and was sweating. I swear by them. Also there customer service is top notch. I had one of there tents and I broke a pole mount, my fault and no questions asked they sent a replacement.

How do you sleep? Flat on your back all night? Flip and flop all over the place? If the cot doesn't have an insulating pad (foam mattress, etc) you're going to need one.

How do you sleep? Flat on your back all night? Flip and flop all over the place? If the cot doesn't have an insulating pad (foam mattress, etc) you're going to need one.
I wanna here an answer for this under my circumstances. I flip and flop a lot. Bags always tend to knot up and I've woke up with a thermal rest climbing the tent wall or on top of me.

Besides a sedative any Ideas? Also this is the reason a CPAP hasn't worked, drug it off the night stand and or nearly strangled myself.

I've got a Hyke and Byke Katahdn bag. Link below

I'm a big fan of this bag for the price. I've used it on several cold hiking trips without any issue with my Eno hammock/underquilt. I also use a thermal reactor liner

I've slept in 10-15 degree weather in a hammock with just a base layer on with no issues.

x2 on the insulating pad, they make a huge difference. I like air cores for backpacking bc they roll easier and you can get them just the right amount of sag. This one is my favorite:

holds air all night long and is big/wide enough that I can sleep on my side/back with no issues.

@WARRIORWELDING I go from side to back sleeping a lot. I haven't had any issues with mummy bags as they tend to move with me. Some of the thermacells/pads I've used have a rougher layer on the bottom to prevent slipping.

The pad needs to have some R-value to it. Whatever insulation is in the underside of the sleeping bag is compressed by your body weight, so the pad provides isolation from the ground/air/etc.

This weekend I slept on one of these:

Which are only R-2 (not particularly good). If you decide to go the quilt route, I'd opt for R-4 in the pad.

And slept in a cheap Coleman 20F flannel bag kinda like this:

We have two of them (I believe it's a 20F and a 30F, but can't rule out that it's a 30F and a 40F) and zip them together, but I wouldn't hesitate to sleep in the heavier bag by myself in similar conditions.

Nighttime temps were around freezing. Biggest complaint is that the zipper on the bag doesn't have good draft protection, so would have been more pleasant with socks to keep the draft off. I slept part of the night in a hat because the bag doesn't cover my head consistently.

I also have mummy bags, but usually end up using them more like quilts because I sleep on my side/belly/etc. People say that exhaling into the bag is detrimental to the bag's insulative value, but I can't say one way or the other. Synthetic cover/insulation/liner is better than cotton unless you're going to down. Similarly, our kids roll all over the place and stay warm using their 20F mummies more like quilts.

The nice thing about something with a quilted/flannel liner is that they don't feel cold against the skin like sheer polyester, etc, does. That's not to say one performs better, just that one might be more comfortable.

Long story short, there are lots of options out there, with lots of differences in price. If you're car camping and don't care about weight or packability, it really opens up options (and decreases what you need to spend).

This is the pad I bought with it. I don't see anywhere in the description about insulation value though. I may ride to Dunham's or dicks sporting goods today and look around at sleeping bags.

This is the pad I bought with it. I don't see anywhere in the description about insulation value though. I may ride to Dunham's or dicks sporting goods today and look around at sleeping bags.

It looks plenty thick and is self-inflating, so has foam inside. It's probably pretty decent.

Yeah, they hold body heat very well. :lol:
When you peeled out of that STEAM rolled out and you looked like Ace Ventura coming out of that Rhino :laughing:

jim carrey alrighty then GIF by Morgan Creek

It’s sort of a labor of love using these but they are damn near indestructible and warm as a mofo. No tent required!

I've been using my Army issued sleep system with a tent cot for years. It's nice because you can configure it for different temps.

+1 on getting a thermal pad. It's good for thermal comfort and I can feel the frame on my tent cot without one.

I hammock camp fairly often and use an underquilt. It’s essentially a liner that drapes under the hammock, creating an insulative layer that doesn’t get compressed. In conjunction with my Mtn. Hardwear baf, I stay toasty. The same concept should apply to a cot.

I use a less expensive version of this…

I know I'm late to the thread, but since you are cot camping, the military 3 bag system linked above is a good option, that will get you 4 season camping. No muss, no fuss.

If you get into backpacking and like space saving, I really really really like the Snugpak brand. I can't remember which model I have , but it's listed as a 3 season bag (easily goes 4 season here in NC with a bag liner.) It packs down to the size of a football.

Have the military sleep system ($40 FBMP score) and a "monster" (full length & 3") ThermoRest :flipoff2:
Have a few dozen nights near freezing in either the bivvy sack or on cot (skivvies only) that were pure bliss.
A handful of single digit nights on the cot, not sure it was "required" but also wore polypro that were still comfy.

After 50+ years, I've found changing out of dirty/sweaty clothes & socks to be key for comfort 😉

EARPLUGS are always required, to drown out the Nancy's moaning about their fawking Nemo/Hello Kitty WallyWorld-grade bags... ALL_NIGHT_LONG 🙄

EARPLUGS are always required, to drown out the Nancy's moaning about their fawking Nemo/Hello Kitty WallyWorld-grade bags... ALL_NIGHT_LONG 🙄
Holdup. I got a Nemo bag and love it. What's your beef with them?

Back