Slide in Camper questions

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
My son just bought a slide in camper for his 2500 Chevy truck.
Slide was made for a small truck, but fits well inside the bed. His bed is 6 1/2 foot, camper is 7 foot. Center of gravity is just forward of the axle center. PO had made a base for it to sit on to clear the cab of his truck. I think the base is way too high. But I know there is some twist from the bed and cab if going over rough terrain. So
1st question, how much clearance should we leave over the cab?
2nd question, I have never tied one of these things down, I remember seeing turn buckles, and I have seen chains, also seen some with a type of spring. Should it be tight or have some slack in it. We had a single strap on it bringing it home but it rocked back and forth when we turned into a gas station.
3. This is a pop up slide in camper. The top goes up to set it up. There is a leak, not sure yet of damage. It has a seam in the middle from front to rear, it is sunk in and that's where it leaks inside. Anyone ever been into one of these? It looks as if if you pull the screws out of the outside trim you can pull back the top t see how it's supported.

Anyone with first hand knowledge please contact me. I have zero experience with these things

My son just bought a slide in camper for his 2500 Chevy truck.
Slide was made for a small truck, but fits well inside the bed. His bed is 6 1/2 foot, camper is 7 foot. Center of gravity is just forward of the axle center. PO had made a base for it to sit on to clear the cab of his truck. I think the base is way too high. But I know there is some twist from the bed and cab if going over rough terrain. So
1st question, how much clearance should we leave over the cab?
2nd question, I have never tied one of these things down, I remember seeing turn buckles, and I have seen chains, also seen some with a type of spring. Should it be tight or have some slack in it. We had a single strap on it bringing it home but it rocked back and forth when we turned into a gas station.
3. This is a pop up slide in camper. The top goes up to set it up. There is a leak, not sure yet of damage. It has a seam in the middle from front to rear, it is sunk in and that's where it leaks inside. Anyone ever been into one of these? It looks as if if you pull the screws out of the outside trim you can pull back the top t see how it's supported.
Anyone with first hand knowledge please contact me. I have zero experience with these things

Chip,

I'm no expert on these things but having owned one, I will try to answer your questions.

1. My truck had 1.5 - 2 inches and I think that is plenty. Too much and it creates even more drag.

2. In my opinion happijac (google cause I can't find the link)makes the best tie down system for slide in campers. A kit for the truck will cost you around $300 not counting turnbuckles. I used turnbuckles on the front anchor points and ratchet straps on the rear anchor points. The turnbuckles are usually sring loaded via rubber bushings or actual springs. You do want some flex so it doesn't tweak the camper.

3. Tearing into one of these things by taking off the skin is not fun at all. I would brace the sagging ceiling from the inside, fix the leak, recaulk every year and leave it alone.

:flipoff2:no help here

Sorry bout that Brandon!! back atcha :flipoff2:

Chip,
I'm no expert on these things but having owned one, I will try to answer your questions.
1. My truck had 1.5 - 2 inches and I think that is plenty. Too much and it creates even more drag.
2. In my opinion happijac (google cause I can't find the link)makes the best tie down system for slide in campers. A kit for the truck will cost you around $300 not counting turnbuckles. I used turnbuckles on the front anchor points and ratchet straps on the rear anchor points. The turnbuckles are usually sring loaded via rubber bushings or actual springs. You do want some flex so it doesn't tweak the camper.
3. Tearing into one of these things by taking off the skin is not fun at all. I would brace the sagging ceiling from the inside, fix the leak, recaulk every year and leave it alone.

Right now with the base he had, it is about 6" above the cab, I knew that was too much. So that gives me a good idea of what to build. Thanks

Don't think that we will look at the Happy Jack, since that is more than we paid for the camper. It cam with a bumch of tie down stuff, just didn't know how much slack it would need.

The inside is sagging the same as the outside, so with the top only so high, no real room to brace it. Sure wish I knew how it was built inside so I'd know what to expect. I am hoping it has side to side truses, that I can replace. Won't know till I tear into it. Almost looks as if someone was trying to haul something on the top and broke the center down. It also has some bars on the top that I don't think was factory. Like maybe they were carrying a canoe or something.

most tie down with 4 connections, one on each corner of over hang or on base corners.

most people just bolt and eye bolt threw wall with a large washer on inside of camper and then use a turn buckle to truck to tie it down.

as for roof leak.. most are constructed of 1x1 wood, some are aluminum but not many.. best to take off roof from inside 1st to see how it is constructed then you can get a feel for how it is built..

IN the beginning that's what I thought Ken, But looking at it, I would have to take down all the soft sides to get to it, if I just take off the top, I won't have to mess with the soft sides, if that makes sense

Chip,

Ken is right...most are 1x1 wood or some type of composite unless get into newer big money slide-in camper that er aluminum.

I'm not sure how much room you've got to work with since it is a pop up but I used 1x1 square tubing and put "L" brackets on each end to look like a "T". Had someone push up on the ceiling as hard as they could from the inside and a jack in some spots while I screwed the tubing into the wall of the camper near the ceiling. After that, I could walk on the roof just fine. I you were real good, you could put a slight bend in the tube and create a small crown to the top of the camper.

IF it wasn't a pop style that would work, but, being the pop type it won't work, the tent part is at the bottom and then the ceiling, wish I could do that would be a lot easier

Back