Smartwatch or similar for kids

jeepinmatt

Using my powers for good since mid-2024
Looking for something that we can see location and send a simple message if needed. Use case would be if they are home alone or with friends and we needed to send a quick message or see where they were at. No need for any kind of "smartphone" capabilities, and don't really even need phone capability. What's out there?

I know some that have given Apple Watches with cellular connection to do that
T Mobile has a decent product also - SyncUp Kids Watch: The Smart Watch for Kids | T-Mobile and Verizon does also - Gizmo Watch 3 Smart Watch | Verizon

If you don't need tracking when they are off wifi - What about just giving them an old phone with only wifi capability? You won't be able to see location though unless connected to wifi.
Problem with the old phone is access to everything else. Plus the bulk. He can wear a watch all the time, a phone in his tiny pocket is likely to get lost or broken. I'll look into those options. The wife said the reviews on Verizon for the Gizmo were terrible from a manufacturing quality standpoint.

Problem with the old phone is access to everything else. Plus the bulk. He can wear a watch all the time, a phone in his tiny pocket is likely to get lost or broken. I'll look into those options. The wife said the reviews on Verizon for the Gizmo were terrible from a manufacturing quality standpoint.
you can certainly lock a phone down to the point of being almost useless. Or hell get an old flip phone ;-). But I'd wager keeping up with it is the hardest part.
Sounds like what you need is an ankle monitor. I heard you can get them from the County on order from a guy in a robe

My daughter has a Gizmo. I think it costs us $10/month for the service. It's kinda bulky, but it's worked fine for us.

It has tracking and geofencing notifications. It can make and receive calls from a predefined list. Texts through its app (you have to have the app on your phone and running). Also has a panic button that calls your defined emergency contact.

You can restrict the iPhone with parent controls pretty significantly. Same thing for an android.

I'm sure a lot of the reviews for those things aren't great, especially because kids are hard as hell on stuff. Get an Apple Watch or Galaxy watch if you want something better? I think you can now setup Apple Watches for other people on your phone with parental controls - Set up a family member’s Apple Watch and you can get an SE for like 180 bucks so not much more than a gizmo.

You can restrict the iPhone with parent controls pretty significantly. Same thing for an android.

I'm sure a lot of the reviews for those things aren't great, especially because kids are hard as hell on stuff. Get an Apple Watch or Galaxy watch if you want something better? I think you can now setup Apple Watches for other people on your phone with parental controls - Set up a family member’s Apple Watch and you can get an SE for like 180 bucks so not much more than a gizmo.
Do the Apple and Android watches have to be within range of the phone they are paired with in order to work or do they have their own cell service? I have a Fitbit, and I just assumed the others were like my Fitbit.

Do the Apple and Android watches have to be within range of the phone they are paired with in order to work or do they have their own cell service? I have a Fitbit, and I just assumed the others were like my Fitbit.

At least my Apple Watch works off wifi also, so I can leave my phone in the house and be in the garage and it work (I don't have cell plan on my current one)
To do what you want though, they would need their own cell service (often like 10 bucks a month added to your plan - or some plans it's free). The Apple Watch 2 SE with cellular is actually like 250 not 190 like the one without it though.

I don't know as much about the Android stuff though, but likely works the same way.

Android does not have a standalone watch option as far as I've been able to tell.

Gabb is a good option for being able to call and text a limited group of people.

If you didn’t know, you can dial 911 from any cell phone in service or not. I found that out about 12 years ago the hard way. Had an old android phone that was no longer in service. Gave it to my daughter to play around on. Deputy sheriff knocks on our door early one morning. He was cool about it at least. I never knew you could do that until it happened.

I hate to admit it, but we did apple watch with cellular for both kids. It was really the best solution so that we could let them have free reign of the neighborhood and we can see where they are with the Find My app.

Also, now that they are going to friends houses and all that, they have a way to personally contact us without having to ask a parent to borrow their cell phone since houses don't have land lines anymore.

Also also. Not gonna lie it's really fun getting random text messages from my girls while I'm at work. It's a huge day brightener.

Not to hijack, but for those of you that have gotten these type of watches for your kids, what age are they?
Thinking about it for my 3 year old.

Not to hijack, but for those of you that have gotten these type of watches for your kids, what age are they?
My niece is 9, and has had hers for about 2yrs.

We thought about this for my 12yr old, since he is going places without us more often. He has had multiple watches in the past, and doesnt wear them. We decided to give him an older iphone with service from Mint, instead. He rarely uses his phone, and typically we have to remind him to take it with him. I know that isnt typical though.

Thinking about it for mine who is actually 9, not 3, but I like joking around on the internet.

For our kid at 11 or so an iPod touch (which could do about all a phone can if you are on WiFi) then I think at 13 got a phone. (It might have been 10/12) I can’t fully remember.

The watch idea is better than the old phone imo but it also is less risk to teach them about responsibility. If the kid will actually wear a watch that is

I can’t imagine how much trouble I would be in having a phone that young.

Get a big rubber band and strap the phone to their back

We did the apple watch with cellular for my son about a 1.5 years ago when he turned 11. He can text, call, play music with it, ask Siri stuff (btw the transcripts were hilarious to read), etc. We will likely do similar for the next 2 kiddos when they are 10 or so. It gives them freedom to roam (within limits) and communicate when we need to.

When I pick up that MFin generator we can discuss this as well because my wife and I just went though it :D

When I pick up that MFin generator we can discuss this as well because my wife and I just went though it :D
Come solve all my problems dammit. Just don’t talk about them in the generator for sale thread. :flipoff2:

Back