Soft top for a full cage ideas

Cribb

Formerly cufor98
What do you full-cage (no windshield) guys do for cheap and temporary tops? I'm going to rig up something cheap and temporary to keep the rain off when needed. Looking for ideas. I'm not worried about looks. Right now I'm thinking of a cheap tarp and bungies and/or paracord. Just looking for ideas. I'll skin it with aluminum at some point.

Not the best but a cheap tarp and bungees like you said kept us somewhat dry in Harlan a few years ago. I used some sticks running along the top bars of the cage to extend the tarp about 6” past the end of cage. If I stopped the tarp even with the top of cage water would just run off edge and in my lap the way may cage is shaped. I been saying for at least 3 years I was going to build some type of roof but never have got around to it.

CA3D376F-9FDB-4DBC-BE8E-206618DD8F66.jpeg

Not the best but a cheap tarp and bungees like you said kept us somewhat dry in Harlan a few years ago. I used some sticks running along the top bars of the cage to extend the tarp about 6” past the end of cage. If I stopped the tarp even with the top of cage water would just run off edge and in my lap the way may cage is shaped. I been saying for at least 3 years I was going to build some type of roof but never have got around to it.

View attachment 315170
Derail....lol.
Dig that build. Sprung over front and rear? What leaves and any wrap issues?

to the OP. i'd just do a simple tarp and bungees til the aluminum goes on Like above. With some time a cheap light frame could be fashioned from pvc pipe. Little planning could yield some slip joints to break it down and pack it away. When the aluminum happens I prefer a good tab system over surface mounting with screws or rivets. I pretty much get torn between sections recessed in the tube or a full overlay. Given shade is a good reason for either but being any type of water tight a formed continuous top will probably win out. Done right drip rails could be formed or added to get the water to leave where you want it too.

Bestop full length bikini top for YJ.

Used hose clamps across upper windshield bar to secure the factory YJ windshield channel. Used the factory style straps to hold it on.

Even tow with it on.

Also use YJ fabric full doors with square corners for wet trips and the cab close out behind the front seats.

It’s far from sealed but makes a huge difference.

Thanks guys, that’s about what I had in mind. Appreciate the input. @redneckjeep87 I’d be interested in that full length tj top.

Derail....lol.

to the OP. i'd just do a simple tarp and bungees til the aluminum goes on Like above. With some time a cheap light frame could be fashioned from pvc pipe. Little planning could yield some slip joints to break it down and pack it away. When the aluminum happens I prefer a good tab system over surface mounting with screws or rivets. I pretty much get torn between sections recessed in the tube or a full overlay. Given shade is a good reason for either but being any type of water tight a formed continuous top will probably win out. Done right drip rails could be formed or added to get the water to leave where you want it too.

I agree with the tabs. Thanks. Rubber between the cage and sheet too. That’s my plan anyway!

I agree with the tabs. Thanks. Rubber between the cage and sheet too. That’s my plan anyway!

Get some of the adhesive foam, like used for camper tops. Put it between the skin and any bar/other metal to get vibrations down.

Derail....lol.

Curtis is my good friend and I spent years helping him build that.

It’s a CJ5, cut in the middle of the doors and stretched 13”, placed on a Scout II frame. XJ leafs with a mixture of Dakota leafs. The rear had an anti wrap bar, no issues. But the front would trash the springs in a couple trips.
It originally had a ZJ 5.2 wit trans and a D300. Then went LS/TH350 Doubler.
Literally just now, he’s finishing up a 4link rear/3 link front with coilovers at all 4 corners and full PSC double ended ram steering. He won’t do a build thread, but it’s a sweet rig lol

Need to look at your cage again Alan but I'd just skin it like Derek's. That or I just heard about a guy who can make custom tops the other day.

Need to look at your cage again Alan but I'd just skin it like Derek's. That or I just heard about a guy who can make custom tops the other day.
Custom Toyota tops...???

Got the CanBack frame, top is just trashed.

Curtis is my good friend and I spent years helping him build that.

It’s a CJ5, cut in the middle of the doors and stretched 13”, placed on a Scout II frame. XJ leafs with a mixture of Dakota leafs. The rear had an anti wrap bar, no issues. But the front would trash the springs in a couple trips.
It originally had a ZJ 5.2 wit trans and a D300. Then went LS/TH350 Doubler.
Literally just now, he’s finishing up a 4link rear/3 link front with coilovers at all 4 corners and full PSC double ended ram steering. He won’t do a build thread, but it’s a sweet rig lol

I sent him pm with some pics and info. Didn’t want to derail thread to much lol.

That’s what I’m planning. Any recommendations on sourcing the sheet?

Back