Something I made

rodney eppes

Or, what is it? Far as I know, you can't buy it, so I made one!

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_181936478[1].jpg
    IMG_20190527_181936478[1].jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 464
Lawn mower mulch row maker

no idea, but if that's going on a weed eater I want video!
That's IT! Doubt I can get video, but i did try it out last night! Just needs some fine tuning & balancing. After seeing what the factory blades cost, I been cutting down my worn out lawn mower blades. I think they last longer, & with the slight curve, I get a little wider cut. Maybe 3/8 ". But my grass grows back over the cut within a couple days. And some of my yard is higher than the sidewalk. I wanted something either wider, or, just trim the dirt & grass back, say 1 1/2". So, I welded 2 cut off pieces of the old blades on. Trying to get something like a triangle cut, but I'll cut out a curve in it. I also Extended the blade cover, so I wouldn't get hit with dirt & rocks! Works pretty darn good! :D

Attachments

• IMG_20190527_190053376[1].jpg
    IMG_20190527_190053376[1].jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 394
So the edger will be a trencher. I was thinking a hand held weed wacker and envisioned it blowing apart. If it were my welds, I’d be worrying about one of those “tabs” flying off! Careful.

Pretty dang cool thankin’ though.

So the edger will be a trencher. I was thinking a hand held weed wacker and envisioned it blowing apart. If it were my welds, I’d be worrying about one of those “tabs” flying off! Careful.

Pretty dang cool thankin’ though.
I Did put on long pants, work boots, & safety glasses, before I cranked it! I was a little nervous too. Welding looks shotty, but it's welded both sides. Not putting a Big load on it. Just wanted to skin the grass farther back, from the skinny little trench.

Nice ingenuity with making your own parts, but be careful! I'm not sure how many RPM's that will turn, but I'd be leery of one of those ears flying off at speed, especially if it kicks something. Not trying to be critical, just looking out for you and anyone that might be within a good pitching distance. Those welds look like there's no fusion in a couple spots. I'd grind out the paint and cut the weld down to the root, crank up the heat on the machine and go at 'er again!

I hope it stays safe for you. I don't like to mess with stuff that spins fast, it can hurt you really bad, really fast. It's a different story, but my buddy had a blade on a walk behind bush hog break off and go through the back of his pickup truck. Scary shit. That was a blade that hadn't been messed with.

^^^ All BS aside Rodney, I would be very cautious with that one. Most mower blades are made from 1080 carbon steel (or something close). In my personal opinion... that is probably not a good metal for the average back-yard welder. I would not do it myself. I would hope some of the pros on this forum could chime in on this one.

Just don't want to see ya get hurt ole buddy! :)

^^^ All BS aside Rodney, I would be very cautious with that one. Most mower blades are made from 1080 carbon steel (or something close). In my personal opinion... that is probably not a good metal for the average back-yard welder. I would not do it myself. I would hope some of the pros on this forum could chime in on this one.

Just don't want to see ya get hurt ole buddy! :)
Thanks Don! I know their Hardened! My band saw wont cut them. I have to use the chop saw. I welded with some 1/16 stick rod, E6013, on 75 amp. First pass was mainly getting them tacked down & straight. I made a second pass over on both sides. I've hammered on them to see if they would bend or break off. I've got some more tuning, & balancing to do, & will check the weld again. Edger 3 hp Briggs, is 1 to 1 ratio, with set throttle, which seems to be 1/2 throttle. Guessing that's around 1500 rpm.

No, just the 1 wheel front, with fixed shaft & twisted belt, between the engine crank & blade shaft.
I have run a opposite pass in the grass, which depending on the ground will tilt. Then run on the sidewalk to square it up. Gives me a wider cut, but twice the work, & not what I want.

Problem is, you posted this on the forum. With a confident level of certainty based of threads of the past, as well as recent dumpster fires, that bus full of nuns will be driving by as you're using this close to the end of your driveway :eek:

:lol:

Problem is, you posted this on the forum. With a confident level of certainty based of threads of the past, as well as recent dumpster fires, that bus full of nuns will be driving by as you're using this close to the end of your driveway :eek:

:lol:
Actually,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was mowing the front 1 time, on the rider, & it chunked a pebble, just as a Lady drove by! I heard the Breakage of Glass, & said "O Shit", as I watched her turn around. :(
Fortunately, she was a Nice Lady, & understood. I gave her my insurance info, & never saw her again!:)

The other day, after my test run, I pulled the blade to couture my wings. I Did notice 1 weld had cracked. I ground out all the welds, & went at it again with the Famous 1/8 6011, set on 105 amp. First weld all sides, cleaned it up & made a second pass, trying to hide my shitty weld. Then I notched what I wanted, & checked the balance. Beat the Rain home today, & tried it out. My Video failed, but I did get a picture of my edge!

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_172653927.jpg
    IMG_20190603_172653927.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_20190603_174046125.jpg
    IMG_20190603_174046125.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20190605_182008636.jpg
    IMG_20190605_182008636.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 299
I mean this harshly with as much love for you as possible.

Dude what is your address? I'm gonna come steal this from you.

Granny was spot on. This marriage of metal might as well be a grenade with the pin pulled.

I'm no engineer but the force applied to the Wings spinning with no load is enough to scare me sober.

At the very least add some gussets perpendicular to the wing. And take out an accident policy.

I'd rather drink the roundup you should be using for that much edge then see you operate that thing.

Not to pile on....but yeah....lose that setup.....the rock tossed at the car window was your first warning.....they will probably get more severe after that.

I am all for crazy and dangerous if you are only going to hurt yourself, but I wouldn't want to be the guy who is operating that thing when it comes apart and hurts someone driving or walking by.

If you need something "wider" than the 1/16" kerf... depending on the output shaft size/length, maybe a (cheap) carbide dado stack from a table saw?
Or maybe a stacking several *UN-welded* blades w/ spacers?

About 3000x less sketchy than welding them...

If you need something "wider" than the 1/16" kerf... depending on the output shaft size/length, maybe a (cheap) carbide dado stack from a table saw?
Or maybe a stacking several *UN-welded* blades w/ spacers?

About 3000x less sketchy than welding them...
Shaft is only made for the 1 blade, about 5/16 max thickness.

I think my welding is getting better. Just needed to reinforce a Dump truck hood hinge. Wire welding, coated, no shielding gas. So plenty of splatter & grey smoke, but it cleaned up nice. Burnt / melted, all 4 sides, plus 2 plug welds. It Ain't coming off!:)

Attachments

• IMG_20191227_160015959[1].jpg
    IMG_20191227_160015959[1].jpg
    122 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20191227_163004937[1].jpg
    IMG_20191227_163004937[1].jpg
    176 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20191227_163049847.jpg
    IMG_20191227_163049847.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20191227_163043962.jpg
    IMG_20191227_163043962.jpg