Starlink

willness33

Here for the memes
Anyone have insider info on it? My barely better than dialup at the house is my ONLY "wired" internet solution. No cable. I'm thinking about preordering for service late this summer. What say ye?

Listen to the latest Joe Rogan podcast with Elon on it. They talk about it.
Sounded like it could be pretty good down the road but will have to growing pains at the beginning.

There is a discussion on Irate4x4 about Starlink. It sounds great.

There is a discussion on Irate4x4 about Starlink. It sounds great.

I do like the speeds it's supposed to be able to achieve compared to 10m down and 2 up I have now. Makes streaming kinda suck.

I hate it because it is really screwing up astronomical visibility and putting too much crap orbiting the earth. But Musky will continue to be the richest man in the world because of stuff like that.

Anyone have insider info on it? My barely better than dialup at the house is my ONLY "wired" internet solution. No cable. I'm thinking about preordering for service late this summer. What say ye?
We're in the same boat, only thing available is dsl and it's terrible. Cable ends 3 power poles up the road and they've quoted us insane prices to run to us. We're not in the service area for the starlink testing last time I looked.

“Speed will double to ~300Mb/s & latency will drop to ~20ms later this year,” Musk said in a tweet on Monday, responding to a user who showed speed tests ranging between 77 and 130 Mbps.

Musk added that Starlink will reach customers around “most” of the Earth by the end of 2021, and is expecting to have complete global coverage “by next year.”

I think for rural areas with only one game in town it is a great option. I am thinking about getting it. A buddy that lives in rural KY just got it. Says it is way better than what he had.
@tknopp Steve was 1 of 3 Youtuber's that posted about it last week and that was all I needed to see!
Despite a supposed "upgrade" (wireless beamed from a mountain top) coming to our county 2 years ago... it won't be any less/month and likely no faster than the current ADSL (6mbps/.768kbps).

I ponied up last week and will await service/shipping to BFVa later this year!

In your case, mount the dish on the shop (larger open space to the horizons) and use a PTP bridge (<$200) to beam some bandwidth home...

Have you tried an external antenna or a different provider?
Friends that come over that use different providers have the same problem. Haven't tried an antenna. Would that even make a difference? One kid online games and we may have up to 2 tv's streaming at the same time. It doesn't work out so well. Would a 1-2 bar cell signal (outside) be able to keep up with that? I'm all for something better since what I have is total shit to begin with.

By your different replies, sounds like you on AT&T, even if they do call it U verse, which it's not. I don't do games & very little streaming, so the 6.0 works for me. 99.5%, it's always there. Have had great service, but it may be my location. As for cell service & radio reception, my house sucks too. guess I'm sitting in a hole.

By your different replies, sounds like you on AT&T, even if they do call it U verse, which it's not. I don't do games & very little streaming, so the 6.0 works for me. 99.5%, it's always there. Have had great service, but it may be my location. As for cell service & radio reception, my house sucks too. guess I'm sitting in a hole.
Yeah its uverse. Literally it's the only option we have. Suck because a fiber node is less than a half mile away and we aren't worthy. Our physical lines have been cut and spliced hundreds of times as they were run down the middle of the road under the gravel. So yeah they get washed out, cut, graded over and the cycle continues.

Friends that come over that use different providers have the same problem. Haven't tried an antenna. Would that even make a difference? One kid online games and we may have up to 2 tv's streaming at the same time. It doesn't work out so well. Would a 1-2 bar cell signal (outside) be able to keep up with that? I'm all for something better since what I have is total shit to begin with.

It really depends on where the nearest tower is. Is it possible that you get a better signal if you get higher?
@uglyjeepoffroad might know where a tmobile site is around you?

Yeah its uverse. Literally it's the only option we have. Suck because a fiber node is less than a half mile away and we aren't worthy. Our physical lines have been cut and spliced hundreds of times as they were run down the middle of the road under the gravel. So yeah they get washed out, cut, graded over and the cycle continues.
Have friend that wasn't worth the provider running fiber to them.
Them and some neighbors paid to have it ran the extra distance. Think his portions was about 3k.

Have friend that wasn't worth the provider running fiber to them.
Them and some neighbors paid to have it ran the extra distance. Think his portions was about 3k.
Ouch. Not paying that up front. Nope. I'm only inside in the evenings 1/3 of the year to watch TV anyways. Everyone else can suffer for that much $.

We had discussed this before and put our names on the beta testing list, but we're too far south. After seeing this thread, we looked again and paid the $99 reservation fee. Says service should be available later this year, so we'll see...

Ouch. Not paying that up front. Nope. I'm only inside in the evenings 1/3 of the year to watch TV anyways. Everyone else can suffer for that much $.
Been at least 5 years back, when Fiber Conduit got laid all over Mount Holly, even in my front yard. Didn't know Who it was for, but as far as I know, it's never been activated. Look up my address on AT&T & still get "Not available". I'm Wired in, but my closet main junction it 200' from me. The couple times I had problems, they come check the house, & then go back to the main box. Bingo! Plus AT&T has a Large building, downtown, that everything runs through.

Been at least 5 years back, when Fiber Conduit got laid all over Mount Holly, even in my front yard. Didn't know Who it was for, but as far as I know, it's never been activated. Look up my address on AT&T & still get "Not available". I'm Wired in, but my closet main junction it 200' from me. The couple times I had problems, they come check the house, & then go back to the main box. Bingo! Plus AT&T has a Large building, downtown, that everything runs through.
AT&T ran fiber down the road in front of our house last summer. My wife talked to the installers and they said we should be able to connect soon. She kept calling and getting the no service at your address. She finally talked to someone in engineering and found out it was a dedicated business line for someone a mile down the road and we could get a dedicated line also for like $10k and $500/month service...

We had discussed this before and put our names on the beta testing list, but we're too far south. After seeing this thread, we looked again and paid the $99 reservation fee. Says service should be available later this year, so we'll see...
Same. Paid the $99 today after another discussion about it. I'll bump this thread in 6 months when my equipment comes in and it's up and running.

It really depends on where the nearest tower is. Is it possible that you get a better signal if you get higher?
@uglyjeepoffroad might know where a tmobile site is around you?
Give me an address or a general area and I can tell you what to expect. 1 to 2 bars doesn't really matter much when talking about digital signal. Its either there, or not so it could still work. We usually see from 60 to 100 mbps on most towers, up to 4-500mbs on upgraded anchor sites.

Back