Starlink

Bumping this back to see if any of the $99 have received the fabled "Full Order" ($400 payment) email yet?

I believe the focus has been in the north & Europe over the past few months, so there's hope for the rest of us it will happen soon...

Bumping this back to see if any of the $99 have received the fabled "Full Order" ($400 payment) email yet?

I believe the focus has been in the north & Europe over the past few months, so there's hope for the rest of us it will happen soon...
We actually got a Tmobile cell router a few weeks ago and are getting up to 150m up 25m down. May cancel our Starlink reservation.

Anybody got any personal updates on this? Our satellite internet provider is straight garbage but it's the only option around for us.....

We got a notification that it was being pushed back AND the rates were going up by 50%. We bailed

That's not what I wanted to hear.....Anybody else got good news? :lol:

Looks like monthly rate is same as what currently paying, so if service is as good as they claim I'd be inclined to give it a go. Tired of wasting money on a useless service

The neighbor has it, he has a 40' ham radio tower that he put the receiver on top of. I have no first hand experience with it, but he said service is spotty and irregular. (Good when it works).

He seems to feel like it really needs to be WAY above the tree line or in an open pasture.

We cancelled our order, our 10mbs Comcast isn't blazing, but for now it is reliable.... paying a premium for what he described doesn't make any sense to me.

VP of our Raleigh office has it at Gaston. His is on the roof of his lake front house and he loves it. He says his satellite TV will go out way before Starlink does.

I cancelled my order after I got an email saying it was being pushed back more and rates were going up. Friend of mine cancelled his also and got T-Mobile Internet and he loves it.

That's not what I wanted to hear.....Anybody else got good news? :lol:

Looks like monthly rate is same as what currently paying, so if service is as good as they claim I'd be inclined to give it a go. Tired of wasting money on a useless service
Thru some shenanigans gleaned from the SL Reddit forum, we got SL several months ago (MONTHS/years ahead of them opening our cell)... just in time for the spring price hike *and* another $25/month for "portability" (because our "service address" is 16 miles away in another SL "cell"), so it's $135/month.
While not the "savior" some have reported, the "portability" allows it to work here, BUT my traffic is "de-prioritized" (supposedly *not* "throttled") over everyone else's in my actual cell.
However, it is generally better than the craptastic CenturyLink DSL (6mbps/.768kbps $45/month = multiple outages a day and like other ISPs, their non-English speaking tech support that's worthless) and ZERO cellular options here (house is literally in a bowl, surrounded by hills on 350*).
For several months, we're able to connect to respective VPNs, plus multiple music/vid streams, but voice/video calls do suffer due to the higher latency. Unless absolutely pissin' buckets, it's stays up pretty well
I suspect/hope that with a few more sat launches, more ground stations coming online, and them turning up the Gen2(3) sat-to-sat laser capabilities, it should improve...
The neighbor has it, he has a 40' ham radio tower that he put the receiver on top of. I have no first hand experience with it, but he said service is spotty and irregular. (Good when it works).

He seems to feel like it really needs to be WAY above the tree line or in an open pasture.

We cancelled our order, our 10mbs Comcast isn't blazing, but for now it is reliable.... paying a premium for what he described doesn't make any sense to me.

It's a given that it needs to be "unobstructed", regardless of height. Even mild obstructions (1%+) WILL fawk with it...
Ours is currently 75" from the house... in the front yard... on a 1.5"x10' Sch40 PVC pipe slid over a t-post :laughing:... slightly less than 1% obstructed given the hills/trees to the north.
Plan to move it to a "utility" pole, which should gain about 15' more elevation and remove the obstructions all together and once tied into the mesh, I'll cancel out the CL circuit.

I never realized how thankful I was for my decently mediocre $50/month ATT Uverse until I read this thread.

However, it is generally better than the craptastic CenturyLink DSL (6mbps/.768kbps $45/month = multiple outages a day and like other ISPs, their non-English speaking tech support that's worthless)
QFT! God is Centrylink horrible. Best we could get was 3 mbps and they were the only option available out here in the sticks. Most of the time it was less than 3. Point Broadband ran fiber through here last fall and we jumped to them. As a matter of fact pretty much everybody around me dropped Centrylink and went to Point.

Point Broadband ran fiber through here last fall and we jumped to them. As a matter of fact pretty much everybody around me dropped Centrylink and went to Point.
Congrats!

We have Comcast (Xfinity) *FIBER* running across the driveway, but they (rat bastards) WILL NOT run it the 1/2 mile to the house, as their requirements are "10 customers per mile" :mad:
Honestly, I get it... mega-hassle hanging anything off AEP or CenturyStink poles and they'd *never* recoup the cost of stringing fiber to the only residence in that 1/2 mile, but will take every opportunity to talk shit about them! :flipoff2:

but they (rat bastards) WILL NOT run it the 1/2 mile to the house, as their requirements are "10 customers per mile"
What if you run fiber to them?

Sooooooo many starlinks in Baja. Shit works, and well.

399400.7FBDA099-8225-4A1E-8D43-8FADCDCE5510.jpeg

399587.IMG_4391.jpg

I asked that exact question (even though I have zero capability/inclination to string/trench fiber 1/2 mile down the roadway)... and their " 'policy' won't allow connecting it due to support concerns" = can't charge me for it 🤬
Congrats!

We have Comcast (Xfinity) *FIBER* running across the driveway, but they (rat bastards) WILL NOT run it the 1/2 mile to the house, as their requirements are "10 customers per mile" :mad:
Honestly, I get it... mega-hassle hanging anything off AEP or CenturyStink poles and they'd *never* recoup the cost of stringing fiber to the only residence in that 1/2 mile, but will take every opportunity to talk shit about them! :flipoff2:
You could "accidentally" cut their line a few times while "landscaping" around the driveway just for spite.
Won't get you internet but may make you feel better.

Has anyone on here still on the waiting list been given the “best effort” option? Just got an email asking if I’d like it but was wondering if anybody else has tried it yet. From google searches it says it’s basically running the same as Starlink RV but still much slower than residential. Sucks it’s still the same price as residential but know it’s going to be slower.

Has anyone on here still on the waiting list been given the “best effort” option? Just got an email asking if I’d like it but was wondering if anybody else has tried it yet. From google searches it says it’s basically running the same as Starlink RV but still much slower than residential. Sucks it’s still the same price as residential but know it’s going to be slower.
I just got that email. Our residential service has now gotten pushed to mid 2023. Was supposed to be early to mid 2022. Sure would l9ve to know the exact speeds it would give us

I just got that email. Our residential service has now gotten pushed to mid 2023. Was supposed to be early to mid 2022. Sure would l9ve to know the exact speeds it would give us
This sounds kinda like the Obamacare of ISP!

This sounds kinda like the Obamacare of ISP!
No doubt! Hell I have been on the wait list for our area since it started. SL, not that you can find ANY way to get in touch with them, says that our area is full currently but we can do the best effort bs. Price has gone up for hardware, price has gone up for monthly service......yet your not going to cut me a break cost wise for less than residential service at the residential rate.....oh wait, also not even going to tell me the speeds we will be looking at.

We currently have a tmobile station. It works. But it fucking sucks. Constantly have to restart it, at least once a day usually. Half the time if the TV is on your phone wifi won't work. The tmobile service has VASTLY gone downhill lately, even worse than when they bought sprint out.

Back