Steel questions

CasterTroy

Faster'N You
Picked up some steel yesterday for a few projects at the office from Dillon supply. quite a bit of 2" sq tube 14ga as well as some 2x4 sq tube 14 ga. and there are quite a few scrapes.

Is this too weak to do anything with? (Sliders, bumpers etc?)

My 2 cents says you would be better off with at least 11ga-1/8" for skids and bumpers. I think .250"-1/4" would be even better.

<><Fish

.250 too heavy for sliders and bumpers, .120 wall is much better. Skid I would use 3/16" or .250.

So is there a comprehensive spec list somewhere for stuff like this? Like what gauge/size to use for bumpers, tire carriers, cages, tow points, winch plates, etc?

9 guage is about as light as I'd go for sliders or bumpers in square tube. Round, .120 for the mains and .085 for the cute shit running everywhere.

TeamSpatula said:
So is there a comprehensive spec list somewhere for stuff like this? Like what gauge/size to use for bumpers, tire carriers, cages, tow points, winch plates, etc?

Doubtful... it's mostly related to things like intended use, the owners desires, & testoterone levels of the builder!

IOW, where 3/16" works for me, may be way too extreme (too heavy or too light) for the next guy!

Cool...I was just thinking of weight vs strength issues...
Certainly 20g is way too small for a bumper, and 1/2" is way too big, but where's the happy balance, where you're thick enough, but not weighing down unnecessarily?
I'm sure there are ASTM specs out there, I didn't know if anyone had assimilated anything.
thanks,

:p Strap it to the Viffer and head this way in a coupla weeks and we'll ride up to mountain city/shady valley :D

It would scratch the paint. I actually rode it to work yesterday. Took the long way in.

Back