Step 1 To Re-Opening Old Trails - Trail Hike

Are You Interested In Attending A Trail Hike?

• Total voters
Those are awesome. Makes me want a gps even more now. I'm up for a hike back to the saddle on the other trail whenever you guys are.

I took both gps layouts of Larry's and made this map. If someon wants to clean it up and put it on the existing trail map that would be great.
ai221.photobucket.com_albums_dd257_K0045_Misc_Goldmine1a.jpg

ai221.photobucket.com_albums_dd257_K0045_Misc_Goldmine1b.jpg

The orange is the path that part of us took trying to follow a common contour to reach Daniel. Larry and a few went north to tap into an old trail and followed it to Daniel.

Nice work.......If we would have went up the saddle more I'm certain we would've tied directly into the trail we found once we hiked up the mountain.

Im thinking lets go out on the 11th and see if we can hike from where we tied into Daniel and Hike towards the Saddle on the Old Daniel trail and see what it looks like and how bad it would be to Grade.

Im thinking lets go out on the 11th and see if we can hike from where we tied into Daniel and Hike towards the Saddle on the Old Daniel trail and see what it looks like and how bad it would be to Grade.

I can make that date.

I would like to go on the hike the 11th as well! Do you mind if I tag along?

NO YOU MAY NOT!!!! :lol:

Just kidding. it was good meeting you and it was fun you exchanging history lessons for my science lessons. O yeah maybe on the next outing we can go back down to that spring head and try some of the water. :D

I talked with Scott for another hour or so on the phone, and I told him I would try to make it out on the 11th. I am not going to make any promises so we don't have a repeat of the last hike where I was dedicated to being there but couldn't make it.

Lol Scott you never need to ask your always welcome. You know so much more about that area then any of the rest of us. Ok well lets plan on meet at the outpost at 9 again on the 11th.

Can't make it....but I'm only 20 min away. I plan on doing a couple hikes to check out a couple areas in the park on some of my days off during the week.......I need to get into shape anyway! lol, I'll map and record my steps.

Can't make it....but I'm only 20 min away. I plan on doing a couple hikes to check out a couple areas in the park on some of my days off during the week.......I need to get into shape anyway! lol, I'll map and record my steps.

We will be doing some more hikes in the future, just trying to work them in between workdays so hopefully more people can make them. :beer:

I went out and hiked the old RattleSnake trail today....That was a long step climb! Would be a really fun trail! Why was this ever closed? Does it have something to do with the trail head being on the other side of the gate on Cotton Place?

I mapped half of it. let me know if you want me to post it, I am going to try to do the whole thing another day but my dog gave out on me half way down the mountain lol and I didn't want to carry her all the way back up!

This trail is being used heavily by ATV's and Dirt bikes.

Huge Cross made of Rock at the top of Single Trap in memory of a horse guy....

306912_350935771647074_1616036640_n.jpg

And found this rancid camp site off of Dickey Bell, WAY off of the trail, looks like ATV's have been traveling this trail, I thought it was an old trail bed but it lead to this. about 250 yards off the trail to the left right before you get to the tight squeeze beside the tree on dickey bell.

8072_350935384980446_1534211420_n.jpg

The arch sites are going to be the greatest obstacle. They are everywhere, not just in the rec area but throughout the Uwharrie NF and the region. But I think it's worth a try and I'm willing to hike.

It would be awesome if you could post the map of what you did get hiked. Would be interesting to compare to the old maps and what is now the Buttermilk Horse Trail on the current maps. If you compare Buttermilk to what is Rattlesnake on the old maps it seems the follow the same path. And Buttermilk comes out right before the gate so that would explain ATV and Dirtbike Access.

I'll see what I can do......I got to about 50yds from the bottom where it joins cotton place (parked at dickey bell side), that was a steep loose climb! And I can see why they called it Rattlesnake.

If you look at the topo map I have red arrows showing the beginning and end of what looks to be the rattle snake trail. Its hard to see but you can see the dashed line that denotes the trail goes from dickey bell makes a "hump" like a snake and then goes back down to 555. There are even little > arrows showing where it ends/starts also. I also put approx where the gate is.

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/2922/rattlesnake.jpg

aimg16.imageshack.us_img16_2922_rattlesnake.jpg

Here is the old map that actually has the rattle snake trial labeled. I drew in the missing half in a red dashed line, and marked the end/start with red arrows (and gate is shown).

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/749/rattlesnake2.jpg

aimg818.imageshack.us_img818_749_rattlesnake2.jpg

From the looks of the old map you may have hiked part of the Coon Trail if you went behind the gate.

Now look at the Buttermilk horse trail on this old FS Map:

OHVtrails.jpg

Maybe its just me but it seems the Buttermilk Horse Trail is really the old Rattle Snake Trail.

Yeah, looks like I was on Coon Trail. I picked it up right at the Z turn in Dickey at the so called rest area or half way point as I call it. I was going off what a old timmer posted a few pages back and when I seen the cross i thought I was on the right path.

Rattlesnake does in fact follow Buttermilk trail, and the hanglider trail ties the trail i was on into the buttermilk trail. I plan on heading back out Monday morning, I will see if I can map rattlesnake now that I know exactly where it is.

Yeah, looks like I was on Coon Trail. I picked it up right at the Z turn in Dickey at the so called rest area or half way point as I call it. I was going off what a old timmer posted a few pages back and when I seen the cross i thought I was on the right path.

Rattlesnake does in fact follow Buttermilk trail, and the hanglider trail ties the trail i was on into the buttermilk trail. I plan on heading back out Monday morning, I will see if I can map rattlesnake now that I know exactly where it is.

Its great that your willing to go exploring, all I can do really is look at the maps and theorize where the old trails end up to be on current maps. I didn't know the Hang Glider section connected with the Coon Trail, looks like you made a cool little discovery. Was the ATV/Dirtbike traffic just on the part of Rattle Snake you hiked? Or was it on Hang Glider/Coon Trail? Makes me wish I could be up there more often (and in better shape) and hike that area sooner than later. Thanks for posting!

I enjoy it......I try to go hiking in either the rec area or the burkhead wilderness area once a week, or to the Russells Gold Mine in Orphir. This stuff interest me and I am all for opening up new trails.

The traffic was on the Coon Trail or whatever trail it was that I was on. This trail started at the rest area on DB and ended up behind the gate at the river on cotton place.

I will try to go through and map as much as I can on the cotton place side. I'm gonna start by doing a map of Daniel, then Dickey Bell. Then map rattlesnake, finish out Coon Trail, the hanglider section, and the area from the saddle on gold mine up to the peak of Daniel mtn.

Check it out....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215807656786939264109.0004b7a9b3bace020e603&msa=0

Went out today, hiked a bit, but mainly mapped out Daniel and Dickey Bell. Also found the trail head to old Rattlesnake. It is nearly impossible to spot running Dickey Bell from the Falls Damn side up, ran it the opposite way today and spotted it, hiked it about 50yds and you can tell that it is a trail bed. The Buttermilk horse trail does run on and beside the old trail bed at least for the little way s that I did hike it. I will explore further next week sometime.

Back