Step 2 To Re-Opening Old Trails - Trail Hike w/ Forest Service

Date of the Next Hike

• Feb 25th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Specify in a Reply to the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do we have someone with a GPS that will be there this weekend?

I do not think I am going to be able to make it. i am starting to get under the weather.

Be aware the weathergraph shows 0900 temps at 40 degrees and brisk winds to 25 MPH. Winds will continue through the day and increase during the afternoon. Peak temps will be 47 degrees around 1300, and will fall off rapidly to mid 30s by 1600 hrs with wind gusts to 40 MPH.

Can you say hypothermia will be an easy reach tomorrow.

Im sorry guys some stuff has come up this afternoon and I cant make it :( Hope its an awesome trail im bumed now

Back home. Enjoyed it and really like the trail we hiked. :driver:

Now that I can use the computer (my legs are doing better) I threw together a map of what we have done so far between the 2 hikes:

aimg846.imageshack.us_img846_1182_goldminemapn.jpg

I didn't include the trail piece that people "cut" across over the 1st ledge on Daniel, but the other maps are still posted on here if you want to see that.

Myself, Scott, and Glenn started the hike at Daniel. We hiked up to the 1st Ledge then took the Orange up the initial slope, then got on the green trail. The green trail to my understanding was one of the trails in question from the first hike. We took the green trail all the way back to the saddle where it intersects with the orange trail also. Looking at old maps that Bruce brought (and other maps) we are taking an educated guess that the orange trail is in reality the old Long Leaf Pine Trail. Instead of hiking Gold Mine all the way back to the parking lot, we took the orange trail (long leaf pine trail) most of the way back.

Then we finished out the rest of the hike on Gold Mine. The yellow trail is what would be a new trail cut to connect the orange trail to Gold Mine at the saddle.

Looks good. The only error I see is the trail that comes off Long leaf toward the Goldmine actually comes straight down the mountain to Goldmine and does not meet that other trail that comes from the saddle. We might want to do a hike of that split off Long Leaf and see where it goes. Might want to wait till the Forrest opens though.

Now that I can use the computer (my legs are doing better) I threw together a map of what we have done so far between the 2 hikes:

aimg846.imageshack.us_img846_1182_goldminemapn.jpg

I didn't include the trail piece that people "cut" across over the 1st ledge on Daniel, but the other maps are still posted on here if you want to see that.

Myself, Scott, and Glenn started the hike at Daniel. We hiked up to the 1st Ledge then took the Orange up the initial slope, then got on the green trail. The green trail to my understanding was one of the trails in question from the first hike. We took the green trail all the way back to the saddle where it intersects with the orange trail also. Looking at old maps that Bruce brought (and other maps) we are taking an educated guess that the orange trail is in reality the old Long Leaf Pine Trail. Instead of hiking Gold Mine all the way back to the parking lot, we took the orange trail (long leaf pine trail) most of the way back.

Then we finished out the rest of the hike on Gold Mine. The yellow trail is what would be a new trail cut to connect the orange trail to Gold Mine at the saddle.
Nice! I like it!

Hey guys sorry I wasn't able to make it this time I felt really bad about it. So what did that trail look like that came off of the ledges and went to the saddle ? Seem usable or is it a better option to look at opening a totally new section.

Hey guys sorry I wasn't able to make it this time I felt really bad about it. So what did that trail look like that came off of the ledges and went to the saddle ? Seem usable or is it a better option to look at opening a totally new section.

I think it might go too close to Arch. sights and has a down hill and up hill that would be fun. IMHO the best bet is to come off the saddle on the trail we walked the first time and then cut a new section shown on Eli's map to the parking lot.

I think it might go too close to Arch. sights and has a down hill and up hill that would be fun. IMHO the best bet is to come off the saddle on the trail we walked the first time and then cut a new section shown on Eli's map to the parking lot.
x2

Sounds good man I like that idea. What we saw that first hike really seemed like a great area for a trail. Let me know for the next hike and what I can do to help make this happen over the next few years.

Sounds good man I like that idea. What we saw that first hike really seemed like a great area for a trail. Let me know for the next hike and what I can do to help make this happen over the next few years.

The thing we need to hammer out now is the date of the next trail hike. It may or may not be with the Forest Service, I am not to worried about that. There are a couple areas of interest to still hike just in the Gold Mine area, let alone other areas.

Back