Stock market

Seems to me a solid durable goods investment right now would be in urns, coffins, and related devices...
That's actually pretty solid advice. Maybe finding a way to invest in the companies that make them if you don't have a good source to offload them though.

That's actually pretty solid advice. Maybe finding a way to invest in the companies that make them if you don't have a good source to offload them though.
Processing death is the one job that will never be outsourced or mechanized

That's not investing, that's chasing a fad that will eventually equalize to true value.

Exactly this! I have about 5k in marijuana stocks solely because I believe they will be a good investment in the future. However I KNEW going in, I could lose on one or all of the five of the stocks I purchased. But that’s my choice and certainly not a wise investment tool, being that it’s still federally illegal.

Judging the stock market on one person terrible decision to dump $50k on an unproven market, isn’t exactly fair

Have you seen The Matrix? Just sayin...
Not onlt have i seen it, but im involved in the tech that will make it possible. Our job is to prevent it from happening though, so it's ok ;-)

I wouldn't be surprised if the current rally tops out very soon, and the markets head lower.

I wouldn't be surprised if the current rally tops out very soon, and the markets head lower.

Get out of here with that non sense. Trump basically just clinched his next term with Sanders out.

30,000 HERE WE COME!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm guessing the market will have some growth in the next 2-3 weeks.

Then what will be called the second wave ( which it will not be) of corona will make recent lows look like a bull market.

Get out of here with that non sense. Trump basically just clinched his next term with Sanders out.

40,000 HERE WE COME!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIFY

Look at who the unemployed are. Mostly lower wage service sector jobs. Restaurants, etc. Talked to a friend last week that is at one of the largest boat dealers in the South (Chatlee). They are doing MORE sales now than ever. From what I can tell, most people here on NC4x4 are still working and getting paid.

The stock market and economy will come back as fast as it went down.

Look at who the unemployed are. Mostly lower wage service sector jobs. Restaurants, etc. Talked to a friend last week that is at one of the largest boat dealers in the South (Chatlee). They are doing MORE sales now than ever. From what I can tell, most people here on NC4x4 are still working and getting paid.

The stock market and economy will come back as fast as it went down.

I've been camper shopping. A few weeks ago I was talking to a salesman at one of the big dealers that sells all over the country and he said business was up. Now that parks closed that may have changed though. I'm on the fence now because my planned trips have been affected.

Unemployment claims hit near 7 million. Only 3 million had been projected. Small businesses Can't get a bank loan. And Congress is ready to discuss adding a few more Trillion, to the recovery.

I just reviewed my stuff.

My investments peaked on 2-13-20. Since that peak, the low point was on 3-19-20, at 30.76% down from the peak. Today, 4-8-20, I am at 19.47% down from the peak.

Doesn't look quite as depressing as it did.

BUT...I won't be surprised to see another big drop from here. I also won't be surprised if we make a slow steady climb. Who knows?

I've been camper shopping. A few weeks ago I was talking to a salesman at one of the big dealers that sells all over the country and he said business was up. Now that parks closed that may have changed though. I'm on the fence now because my planned trips have been affected.
heard an interesting bit on the radio yesterday, with planes and trains being unpopular modes of transport, people still want to make long trips to visit family etc.... and are buying and renting RVs. One guy said he rented one to go 900 miles to stay "with" his parents, meaning to park in their driveway and hang out there several days to ensure "quarantine" before going in to see them or something.

I just reviewed my stuff.

My investments peaked on 2-13-20. Since that peak, the low point was on 3-19-20, at 30.76% down from the peak. Today, 4-8-20, I am at 19.47% down from the peak.

Doesn't look quite as depressing as it did.

BUT...I won't be surprised to see another big drop from here. I also won't be surprised if we make a slow steady climb. Who knows?
yeah, this is killing me. I still need to drop my annual 2019 IRA contributions.... do I do it now? Keep waiting for the second bottom? What if it dosn't go back down? clearly the time to do it was about a week ago.
Being an IRA, really, I know that anytime now will still be better in 15 years, its just a question of how much better...

yeah, this is killing me. I still need to drop my annual 2019 IRA contributions.... do I do it now? Keep waiting for the second bottom? What if it dosn't go back down? clearly the time to do it was about a week ago.
Being an IRA, really, I know that anytime now will still be better in 15 years, its just a question of how much better...

I started some rebalancing and purchases on 3/12. Not much cash in, but a little each week. It's still on sale, whether it's 20% off, 25%, or 30%. Impossible to pick a single "best" time, until after the fact. Spread it out.

The rebalancing was on a managed account...shedding some stocks that they didn't think would come back as fast, or will stay depressed longer. This is a post-tax account, so locked in some losses that will come off taxes for the next several years. Put the money into some stocks that will be hopefully quicker to recover, so really not "losing" anything in the long haul.

The rebalancing was on a managed account...shedding some stocks that they didn't think would come back as fast, or will stay depressed longer. This is a post-tax account, so locked in some losses that will come off taxes for the next several years. Put the money into some stocks that will be hopefully quicker to recover, so really not "losing" anything in the long haul.
Interesting tactic.

On a related note, my parents are switching a lot of their IRAs from Traditional to Roth right now, b/c they've realize the "tax bomb" that gets passed on as an inheritance. Of course you have to pay the taxes on the $$ when you convert - but with per share price so low doing it now when it's down so much just about cancels out the lost $$ to taxes once it goes back up.

Similar boat here. I’m grateful enough to be in a career, health insurance, that has gone up since the virus so my income isn’t being negatively affected. Right now I’ve got some cash to throw at some things but my financial guy thinks there might* be a small dip again. Either way, if there isn’t, still good time to buy. Still watching Disney. Got Amazon at the right time. I’m considering dabbling into travel like Delta as I believe they will make it out of this thing and rebound. They’re half the price today. Several financial columns have said to avoid Delta and airlines as major investors pullout, however, I’m still considering tossing in a smaller amount and see what happens.

Any stock anyone is watching or dabbling in?

So maybe I'm living in a different world, but I feel like the viral risk has leveled out and things should soon start tapering back to normal.
America should be ready for 18 months of shutdowns in long hard road ahead warns the Feds Neel Kashkari - MarketWatch
im with you. ive seen several places where people are pushing back against the stay at home order and everything else. people are starting to realize that going outside or to the lake which is against the order in some states is the stupidist shit they have seen when they can be packed into lowes.

Back