Stock XJ, upgrading soon!!!

plumkrazy1789

hello, my name is Chris Joyce. I recently purchased my 93 Jeep Cherokee Sport and I love it. I used to be a big time Honda/Acura guy and performed alot of swaps/painting/etc for people. Now I am looking to jump in the mud as soon as possible. I haven't really upgraded anything other than doing just maintenace stuff since i bought it. its held together pretty decent so far. All i have done is I got bored today and made myself some NC4x4.com stickers to it for right now on the outside.. lol. Going to pick up some oem bumpers, raise it up 4.5 maybe, get some wheels and some 33's. I'm also in the process of stripping all moldings and running line-x down the bottom and around the quarters.

Hopefully I will be updating this soon. I guess this will be my introduction/build thread

aphotos_d.ak.fbcdn.net_hphotos_ak_snc1_hs230.snc1_7735_175449482626_534622626_3797322_868857_n.jpg

after i started stripping the moldings.. crappy cell pic..

ai116.photobucket.com_albums_o4_plumkrazy1789_DSC01696.jpg

looks black!!!!

ai116.photobucket.com_albums_o4_plumkrazy1789_DSC01699.jpg

OH HELLZ NAWWW ITS REFLECTIVE BLACK

btw, those decals took place of my original 4x4 decals

Thanks for looking!!

Nice XJ. What rear end do you have? Dana35 or Chrysler 8.25? And why replace the stock bumpers with the same thing? Or did you mean OME/ARB bumpers?

I have some stock Jeep steel wheels I can sell you for cheap, if you're interested.

oh hell. welcome Chris. btw, it's Justin (backtotheimportworld) from INC. how's it holding up over there on that forum? I haven't even signed in in probably 6 months I'm guessing.

Good looking XJ you have there! I have an '89 Pioneer myself. I'm running 33's with no lift. I achieved that with quite a bit of trimming on the front and rear though. If you're not afraid of trimming the fenders you could get by with a 2" budget boost and trimmed fenders to run 33's somewhat comfortably. Although I think what you have planned would be great! Try keeping an eye out on the FS threads on here for the tires. You can usually find 33's for cheap! Good luck! Oh yeah......keep away from the mud. It's badddddd haha

You know you can buy "official" stickers and help support the site...

i will anyway. maybe you can PM me that instead of trying to make me look bad in my thread. Trying to get ahold of someone to get "official" stickers was like pulling teeth.. i went on 2 parts of this forum asking and i pm'd someone and never got a reply.. ive made the effort.. just never got a reply.... i like this forum, the best one for 4x4's as far as i am concerned.. lets keep it that way

Nice XJ. What rear end do you have? Dana35 or Chrysler 8.25? And why replace the stock bumpers with the same thing? Or did you mean OME/ARB bumpers?
I have some stock Jeep steel wheels I can sell you for cheap, if you're interested.

No idea which rear end i have.. if you can point me in the right direction as to what to look for then i will find out! lol.. I need to replace bumpers because these are all shitty. looks like the person who owned it before me got hit in the rear and it pushed them up into the car infront of them. Im going to try to pick up some different wheels other than stock ones to put on the jeep. my step dad is a wheel/tire dealer and he said he could get me some wheels like those black rock crawler wheels for pretty cheap..

oh hell. welcome Chris. btw, it's Justin (backtotheimportworld) from INC. how's it holding up over there on that forum? I haven't even signed in in probably 6 months I'm guessing.

Justin!!!! dude.. i havent been on THAT site in forever.. lol. i miss it some. they still have me on the list of sponsor's though but I cant really help anymore much. before last week i probably hadnt signed-in in 6 months as well

Good looking XJ you have there! I have an '89 Pioneer myself. I'm running 33's with no lift. I achieved that with quite a bit of trimming on the front and rear though. If you're not afraid of trimming the fenders you could get by with a 2" budget boost and trimmed fenders to run 33's somewhat comfortably. Although I think what you have planned would be great! Try keeping an eye out on the FS threads on here for the tires. You can usually find 33's for cheap! Good luck! Oh yeah......keep away from the mud. It's badddddd haha

roflmao.. thanks man. i feel like im going to get addicted to.. just like with my cars there is really no "kinda" to it.. i was always all in. so we will see where this ends up i guess.. i really want to go atleast 4.5 its eating me up right now.. all my "debt" comes off of me in January.. so the majority of my paycheck can be divided between the girlfriend and the jeep.. lol

You know you can buy "official" stickers and help support the site...

:lol:

i will anyway. maybe you can PM me that instead of trying to make me look bad in my thread. Trying to get ahold of someone to get "official" stickers was like pulling teeth.. i went on 2 parts of this forum asking and i pm'd someone and never got a reply.. ive made the effort.. just never got a reply.... i like this forum, the best one for 4x4's as far as i am concerned.. lets keep it that way

you can also buy a diamond to help suppert the site.

look at the rearend from the back..If it has a flat bottom its a 8.25..if its round its a Turdy5
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/diffguardtype.jpg
i like the stock limited wheels on red paint..They can be found for cheap. 4.5 kits can be found for cheap if you look around. If you want to spend the money and plan on seeing a lot of road and want a NICE ride (well and as good as you will get in a ckee) go with RE (runbicon Express) there prices are high but you get what you pay for.

RE 3.5 superflex with trimed fenders and some 33x9.5 on stock wheels would look good...:huggy: Good luck on your build and im interested to see how it turns out.

The best place you can look to learn about your cherokee is Naxja.org.....You will know the ends and outs of a cherokee in no time...Great great info over there.

thanks for the help chromerunner. as soon as i get back to my house i will check to see which rear end i have. the jeep will be on the road alot.. well atleast alot more than what it will be in the mud.

and as far as supporting the site. instead of being smart about it.. why dont yall point me in the right direction to do so. If you want me to support then help me support by letting me know who to get in touch with and where to go to do so, not just come in here and tell me to support.. is this how everyone gets welcomed? chill out please.. im not a bad dude or anything i just feel like a better approach could have been made to the situation.

Got my sticker in 2 days. Check out this sticky: http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12861

And to become a supporting member: http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/payments.php

Damn another Ricer on here.. ( Just kidding chris )

88-B16-Civic

What have you been up to?

I can trim your fenders man, I bet we can fit 34s.. If you dont like how it turns out we can just put a band-aid sticker over it lol..

Jon

roflmao..

find me a lift dude.. that one that you told me about got sold the day after christmas for $50!!!! i told someone i was going to go get it and they told a friend of theres and went and bought it.. how awesome was that.. a little pissed about it.. lol. Not trimming the fenders right now, but will in the future.. have you saw the cherokee for sale on craigslist thats silver in lexington with a 8 inch lift for $3500.. thats exactly how i want my jeep to look.. bushwacker fenders, the bumpers, lift, tires.. everything!!

and i think i have fallen in love with Moto Metal Skull wheels.. but what sucks is they only come in 17's and 20's.. i didnt want to go that big.. i was thinking 15's or 16's..

chromerunner.. i looked at the rear end.. i think its a "turdy 5" lol.. are they junk as to why they are called that?? lol let me in on it

yeah, they are crap. if you want to bash your xj at ure with anything bigger than 31's. dont waste your money trying to make the 35 live. get the 8.25 cherokee axle, bolt it in, and enjoy.

type in dana 35 in a search and start reading. lol

Jeep Axles: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html
Dana 35 Basic Info: http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/Dana_35

The dana 35 isn't exactly "junk". It's just not designed or strong enough for what most wheelers put their rigs through. It's a great axle for 32" and smaller tires that see light offroad use. Some people have luck with the D35, but more often than not the axle shafts break. The Chrysler 8.25 axle with 27 spline shafts is better than the D35, but you really need the 29 spline axle. You can find these in 97 - 01 XJs and some 96s. Don't waste money on building the D35 because for the money you'll spend you can find a 8.25 and lock it for much cheaper. Another option is the Ford 8.8" axle out of an Explorer. It's on par with the 29 spline 8.25 Chrysler. However, the 8.8 is not a direct bolt it. It requires a little fab work.

You'll find the D35 in majority of the XJs you see on the road. I'm still running the D35 and I'm running 34x10.50 LTBs. I'm pretty hard on my rig, but I think the only reason I haven't broken an axle shaft is because I still have stock gearing. However, I have a 8.25 laying in wait.

Best advice: Lincoln lock it and wheel it till you break it or you are ready to swap in a better axle.

chromerunner.. i looked at the rear end.. i think its a "turdy 5" lol.. are they junk as to why they are called that?? lol let me in on it
They are not complete junk. If your building the jeep to haul people in and use as a clean DD they do there job as a Regular weak axle but will be fine running around. They can also handle some offroad with a smart mind set...I have seen them last on 31 and down rigs but you have to be smart with them...dont get on the gas and remember its your weak point..But if it was me i would find a 97 and up 8.25 and bolt it in..IT will be CHEAP and you wont have to worry about that rear end leaving you stranded.:beer:

Jeep Axles: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html
Dana 35 Basic Info: http://www.jeepforum.com/wiki/index.php/Dana_35

The dana 35 isn't exactly "junk". It's just not designed or strong enough for what most wheelers put their rigs through. It's a great axle for 32" and smaller tires that see light offroad use. Some people have luck with the D35, but more often than not the axle shafts break. The Chrysler 8.25 axle with 27 spline shafts is better than the D35, but you really need the 29 spline axle. You can find these in 97 - 01 XJs and some 96s. Don't waste money on building the D35 because for the money you'll spend you can find a 8.25 and lock it for much cheaper. Another option is the Ford 8.8" axle out of an Explorer. It's on par with the 30 spline 8.25 Chrysler. However, the 8.8 is not a direct bolt it. It requires a little fab work.

You'll find the D35 in majority of the XJs you see on the road. I'm still running the D35 and I'm running 34x10.50 LTBs. I'm pretty hard on my rig, but I think the only reason I haven't broken an axle shaft is because I still have stock gearing. However, I have a 8.25 laying in wait.

Best advice: Lincoln lock it and wheel it till you break it or you are ready to swap in a better axle.

beat me to it :flipoff2:

i have been beating the shit outta my d30/ d35 non-c-clip axles for a year now, welded front and rear/ on 36 inch swampers, w/ no breakages, you just got to know your limits, although i have an xj d 44 going in soon, that would be another option, go to a junk yard and find an 87 xj, alot of those came w/ the 44 in them, and they will take a beating!:beer:

Back