Stripping cable for scrapping (chores for son...)

Ok, I'll be that guy. Isn't burning that plastic terrible for the environment and your health? I remember my cousin telling me when I was young to not get near it while he was burning.

Isn't breathing your rigs gas fumes also not good for the environment? Your cousin may have also suggested that you not put your nose too close to your tailpipe for fear of CO poisoning.

If you were industrially burning the sheathing off, it would be one thing. But I'm assuming the OP is interested in a non-industrial amount of wire.

Isn't breathing your rigs gas fumes also not good for the environment? Your cousin may have also suggested that you not put your nose too close to your tailpipe for fear of CO poisoning.
Thanks for the smart ass comment. Driving a car isn't illegal.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

And you're saying you've never burnt plastic?

The amount of vehicle, industrial, commercial emissions output on any given day would overwhelm whatever emissions were output by a residential-sized fire. I'm well aware that's not illegal, but why not? There are commercial incinerators for styrofoam; hell you only have to be 30 miles out in the ocean to dump literally WHATEVER you want to in the water. And that's legal.

And you're saying you've never burnt plastic?

Of course I have, in the past. We dumped used motor oil on my dirt road growing up, but we didn't know any better back then. I would like to think that we are a little more consious of taking care of what we have these days. You know, kind-of like tread lightly. Do you think it's stupid that there are rules that govern where we can ride at Uwharrie? I don't agree with all of them, but if you don't have rules everything gets screwed up.

And on the industrial thing, I get it. Do I agree with that stuff, no. But, this is a place I come to every day to hang out and I voiced my opinion. I'm not an environmental natzi. But, I do what I can to make sure my kids have a nice place to grow up in. It might not be much, but hey.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate.

I was a renewable energy foreman for about 5 years and now work as an engineer for a high-efficiency building materials manufacturer for several years, so I'm pretty tuned into the environmental side of things.

Tread lightly is good for public land.

My grandparents have burnt their trash for over 70 years, yet they are probably the best environmental stewards I have witnessed. It would take them almost 30 minutes to go to a trash collection site. They fix things instead of throw them away. They keep their old appliances rather than get new ones. They have about 150 "free range" cows (cows that walk around and eat grass and hay, like they're supposed to). They built their house in 1950 (with local materials, of course) and still live in it; now that's sustainable architecture in my opinion.

It's all in how you spin it, for sure. Like I said - Devil's advocate.

Back to the OP's wire stripping inquiry though, your son will learn the hardest lesson about money by hand-stripping the wire insulation off, then you taking him to the scrap place and seeing his astonishment by how little money he gets from all of his work. Just get him some gloves so he doesn't cut his hands all up.

You must have gone to a feeder yard, that's quite a margin they have on your bare bright. Insulated has many grades due to yield percentage.

The big boys have a chopper that chops any wire into bits and separates the insulation from the metal to have a near 100% yield....big bucks.

Again for what is worth...as a boy, helping my family members do this task, I learned a great deal about the value of a dollar, value of time, worth of labor, work smarter to make more, etc. But most of all I enjoyed the time with my role models. Just my experience.

Matt

You made me go check my ticket, lol.
I had 463lbs and they paid $1.73/lb for "#1 insl grade B"

I didnt have any BB I was going off memory on both prices. Obviously I was wrong.
I dont *think* the place I go is a feeder but its possible. They are a huge outfit.

You made me go check my ticket, lol.
I had 463lbs and they paid $1.73/lb for "#1 insl grade B"

I didnt have any BB I was going off memory on both prices. Obviously I was wrong.
I dont *think* the place I go is a feeder but its possible. They are a huge outfit.
Yep, not a feeder yard judging by that price...[emoji6]

Matt

Back