Such a waste

Some home health care/nursing center in High Point we're looking at butting $3Mill worth of plumbing into in the next 2 years

If you think a $10k generator could run a grocery store, you're sadly mistaken.
I guess I was, yeah. Had no idea the cost would be that high for one.

A large industrial generator that would run an entire supermarket, or grocery store, or security monitoring station would run upwards of 200K and would have quite a bit more maintenance and upkeep cost than most would imagine. We test ours weekly and they are serviced by CAT pros quarterly. The generators themselves are in excess of 150K each and that does not include plumbing, wiring, or controls...

I understand there would be a large cost in a power system to power up the whole grocery store. But, wouldn't it make sense to have one or two or three 5K ones that could be switched on to just run the cooler and or freezer? Maybe not all the units but enough to keep it cool or frooze for long enough to do something with the food other than throwing it away. A refer unit that runs a 53' tractor trailer cools or freezes around 3400 cubic feet. If one or more of those were perminatly mounted to be used in such a situation would seem pretty cost effective to me.

upnover said:
If one or more of those were perminatly mounted to be used in such a situation would seem pretty cost effective to me.

Makes sense, if you're thinking of a single store operation

But how many grocery stores do you see that are NOT a chain? And as a chain you're gonna have several 100 stores

Food lion for instance operates more than 1200 stores. So how do you pick which ones get a generator? Just as soon as you equip the few problematic stores with generators 6 stores you DON'T equip will end up losing power....then what? Equip all 1200 with these generators? That would cost many times over what was lost by 3-4 stores without power.

Troy I understand that thinking. Although I do like th idea of the refer units perminatly mounted. but it could be done on a smaller scale like the cell tower companys do. They have many many towers, but only a few generators. The service guys take them to the top of what ever mountain they need to take them to when they loose power on a particular site.

Take that idea a step farther... put one of those huge generators on each of, say, one or two semi trailers per area. Install connection hardware at all stores. If a store loses power take the trailer to that store. If several in the same area lose juice, hook up to one for a few hours, move on to another for a while, and rotate like that. Might save most of the stuff, at least long enough to get it moved to somewhere that has power.

As for that Business Interruption Insurance, or whatever it's called... if the store doesn't lose anything, the insurance doesn't have to pay for it either.

Ennyhoooo...

Back